10ft 6wt or 7wt?

I always thought green lake was more of a put and take lake. I've never fished it but it sounds good. It's not too far from skanaetles.

This just in…

STILLWATER…
Stillwater Tactics and Selecting the Right Rod

http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/02/2014/stillwater-tactics/

as a follow up to this on WFN they had a very good show on a lake in Jackson Hole WY - In The Loop, which guested World Champion John Horsey from England.

they went through the lines, flies and drifts.

its worth watching if you can find a repeat, online, on demand etc

Thanks for the laughs all. I don't have anything to add, really. I've done this type of fishing only once. With a guide on a loch in Ireland. He had me casting a 10 ft 7 weight, for what its worth. We got skunked. So obviously we shoulda had a shorter 6 weight.

I've done all of my stillwater fishing here out west from a float tube or kayak in Nevada, Colorado and Utah. A 9-foot, 6-weight is PLENTY for single and double nymph/streamer rigs, but I have never done any of the crazy triple articulated streamer stuff. With a 6-weight and full sinking line, rainbows in the 20-23" class were no trouble to handle.

KnottCreekReservoir-Trout1-17Oct2013_zpse41bdf17.jpg

KnottCreekReservoir-LastTrout-17Oct2013_zps1f279800.jpg

On lakes with mostly smaller, stocked trout, I usually downsize to a 5-weight, but a 10-foot 6 or 7 is never a bad thing in the event you find the occasional holdover lunker is those places and want a little more oomph to your cast. However, if you start getting into 6 or 7 fish in the 20"+ range, your arm is going to begging for mercy if you've been pitching a heavier rod and 2 or 3 streamer rigs all day. Some the fights me and my partner had with these big fish were well in excess of 10 minutes in that frigid water using 3x tippet.

I generally carry a 11' for a 3 or 4 wt and a 9' 5 or 6 wt fishing lakes for trout. I do troll flies along with casting to cruisers. if the 6 wt. is stiff enough casting 3 streamers is no problem. I do this all from a pontoon so I don't stand to cast.

Back