10ft 6wt or 7wt?

no more than wading 18 inches or so.

Wading out an additional 18" works well in 12' of water. I think you should hike up the vest and go for it.

pete41 wrote:
no more than wading 18 inches or so.

exactly. which is why nearly all stillwater shore anglers also use a 10ft 7 or longer and many steelheaders do too - both typically wade to waist deep and aerialize a lot of line to maximise distance to reach bars, slots and drop offs.

the 10ft #7 works for both the boat and long casting from the shore - hence its the #1 trout rod in competitive stillwater fishing across Europe.

most European comps only allow you one rod, but an unlimited number of spools/lines.

It also helps with "The Hang". When stillwater fishing a 16ft to 18ft leaders are used. That extra foot of rod allows you to easily keep your fly line off the water, but outside the tip and perform the next cast.

In regards to 3 streamer rigs, these are not articulated monstrosities. These are small streamers and buggers.

But hell, Afish you know a crap ton more then I about stillwater fishing. Please enlighten me. I absolutely know nothing and is why I was looking for experienced lake anglers to give me their opinion. Please tell me more...this is in regards to the other forum you frequent that someone graciously showed me what was going on. I won't go on there to respond, so I would appreciate you doing it here.

Geebee, thank you for your opinion. You were the type of angler I was looking for to answer.

Pete, don't you have a rose forum to frequent? Please tell me more about the fishing in Montana 30 years ago. The good old days working on the farm and hunting pigs in lakes.

Shane,

I've found no real advantage to a 10' rod from a boat in a lake. I own and often fish 10' rods in streams and rivers for better reach nymphing and mending, as well as roll casting. Also, I like using the rods because they cast well for me. The 10 is the new 9.

Many find longer rods make landing fish more difficult, myself included from my kayak.

I have never bought the longer rods / higher off the water means longer casting distance. If you line hits the water, your timing is off or technique is off.

I often cast sidearm in keep lower in the wind after talking to Ed Jaworowski and watching him cast...it really works. So a longer rod is of no real advantage to me most times.

Anyway, I have no idea what type of lake or where you plan to fish, out-west, windy conditions? Also fishing from a kayak in a sitting position is a lot different and more difficult than fishing standing up in a larger boat.

Also, if you plan to use the rod in moving water in addition to still water I would think a 10' would be a better choice.

Long and short.....it depends on how and where you plan to use it.

Afish - I agree with you some, if you're a good caster you don't need that extra foot necessarily but it does make a difference when you wish to make a softer presentation and aerialise a lot of line, rather than 'shooting' a line out with double hauls and just the head out - as I do for saltwater.

The side arm cast I picked up in my Lesson with Lefty Kreh - it is very effective as it increases line speed as the body rotates becoming a fulcrum, and shoots line 'under' the wind and so when wading in the surf it's my go to - one water haul and shoot - but, that's without a boat partner behind me.

That's fine if you right handed in the stern, or left handed in the bow - on a northwards drift and vice versa on a southwards facing drift, but in most cases you have to cast overhead and that extra foot also means less chance of giving your boat mate a new piercing .

As well as working 'the hang' better when you're fishing a team of buzzers at different depths, or even leeches, I find a longer rod is better for figure of 8ing when you are pulling streamers - rather than pulling the streamer straight in, lifting off and recasting, I figure of 8 the streamer at the boat - who hasn't lost big fish that followed unseen just as they lift off ? I believe Muskie fisherman do it all the time, sometimes a big trout will kill it - I've even taken landlocks '8' ing it. Not to be tried on anything less than 4x though as a big trout will take it straight back down under the boat and pop the tippet.

That's just my .02 if you want an expert opinion drop Brian Chan an email.

Cheers

Mark

Again, thanks Geebee!

Afish, like he just mentioned, I will be in a sitting position in a drift boat or rowboat. With a boatmate and a rower. Tough to do a side arm cast in those situations.

Hey, if you go with the 7wt, you can also use it for steelhead. Check out the crosswater series from orvis. I love mine.

See what I did there?

Thanks Andy, I decided to go that route! Lol Clearwater is on the way.

I am leaning 7wt though.

No, no. Orvis Crosswater. It's the butt section of a Clearwater and the tip of a Redington Crosswater. A hybrid! It's also great for smallmouth. You were looking for a multi-purpose rod, right?

Based on your response, you missed my cleverness. Maybe FD has a 13' bamboo spey rod that would work for you

You are correct. I missed your usually unseen cleverness.

SBecker wrote:
Again, thanks Geebee!

Afish, like he just mentioned, I will be in a sitting position in a drift boat or rowboat. With a boatmate and a rower. Tough to do a side arm cast in those situations.

It's really not hard at all to do a side arm cast with other people in the boat. You just need to know how to cast backwards.

so add a foot and you need a little more butt weight to reduce leverage factor?

JasonS wrote:
SBecker wrote:
Again, thanks Geebee!

It's really not hard at all to do a side arm cast with other people in the boat. You just need to know how to cast backwards.

Nice to see you show up Jason. Who would have guessed you would have came on this thread? Who are we missing yet? Ahh yes, your fearless leader. Make sure he comes over and makes an apperance.

Jason,
How many times have you fished a lake for trout? Thought so...

In stillwater or loch style competitions, which I did not feel the need to disclose at the time because it was not pertinent information, you can only cast on one side of the boat depending on wind direction. Depending on which end of the boat you are on and if you are a righty or lefty, will depend on how you cast. So, sure I can cast sidearm in certain situation and others I can not.

Let me regress though. I am pretty sure I asked a simple question of which rod I should get when my options are A or B to board members that have fished trout in lakes. Somehow this post has turned into using a 9ft or 10ft or if I can cast sidearms. Many of the top loch style anglers in the world use a 10ft rod. The ones that don't prefer a 9.5 ft rod. Well that is not a rod option. I mean, obviously with Pete's vast knowledge and experience with western lakes he over rules those anglers.

Now that I look back, I probably should have said I have to stay in a sitting position and it will be used in loch style competitions. However, I chose to leave the last part out, because I know what this thread would have turned into.

When it is a slow day in the OT fly fish world I guess you have to come over here to get your jollies off. It's cool I understand. You guys have a good one.

Again, I am basically starting a brand new type of fly fishing that Supposedly really fun and addicting. I do not know anything about it and am trying to garner as much information about it as possible. Other then reading, I do not have any hands on experience with it. I look forward to the spring and heading up to NY to work with a few guys on it. Geebee thanks for your insight it is appreciated. If you feel the need to let me know anything else, shoot me a pm. Thanks

I'm not sure why you got so butt hurt over my post, considering it's 100% true. No I've never fished out of a boat in a lake for trout, but I have numerous time fished for bass, in a boat, in a lake. Pretty sure that they're not really that different.

Pretty sure they are.

I am not butthurt at all. I actually find it quite funny. It is alright buddy.

Becker I'm being serious when I say learn how to cast backwards if u don't already know how. It will make life much easier for and your boat mates. With that said obv get the 7.

I do understand what you are saying. I do cast that way on tight streams when my normal casting stroke won't work. However, you and I both know you did not comment on this thread to help me. Lol

If you can't adequately cast from a boat with a nine foot 5wt or 6wt to trout cruising in a pond whether seated or standing and/or from either side of the boat without inflicting serious injury to others, you have major problems that won't be cured by a ten foot rod only exasperated.

I hate to tell it like it is but trout fishing is not this technical. This is proof-positive of marketing geniuses at work convincing inexperienced fly folks that their technical inadequacies can be cured by buying another $800 rod.

johnstevens5462 wrote:
If you can't adequately cast from a boat with a nine foot 5wt or 6wt to trout cruising in a pond whether seated or standing and/or from either side of the boat without inflicting serious injury to others, you have major problems that won't be cured by a ten foot rod only exasperated.

I hate to tell it like it is but trout fishing is not this technical. This is proof-positive of marketing geniuses at work convincing inexperienced fly folks that their technical inadequacies can be cured by buying another $800 rod.

Pretty sure I know how to cast. Actually, I would say I am pretty proficient at it. So much to learn though and is why I seek advice and practice casting with those on here that I consider experts. The rod price has nothing at all to do with this. One of my favorite casting rods is a cheap Winston. The length IS beneficial to Loch style and I know this from readings or research I have done on European and Canadians champions. There is some discussion though on 6 or 7wts and is why I created this thread. Trout are not always cruising. They like to hang deep in resevoirs. Sure, if they are cruising the shallows and can be seen it is much eaiser to cast to. Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Back