10ft 6wt or 7wt?

Boy I wish I was an expert on casting...but I do like to try out fly rods! Becker, as you have told me before...test them yourself and come up with your decision based on you and your needs. If you like a brand, go and try only those out...or you could get a long spinning rod for "loch" fishing. I only fish lakes here in pa. But I would love to go to Scotland one day. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTzwF72B2F2w&app=desktop

Hey Ramcatt! Nice to see ya back on here. lol

SBecker wrote:
Again, thanks Geebee!

Afish, like he just mentioned, I will be in a sitting position in a drift boat or rowboat. With a boatmate and a rower. Tough to do a side arm cast in those situations.

I don't understand why you even asked the question. You already have your mind made up. For some reason, you feel you need an extra foot of rod to fish still water instead of moving water OUT OF A DRIFT BOAT.

SBecker wrote:
The ones that don't prefer a 9.5 ft rod. Well that is not a rod option. I mean, obviously with Pete's vast knowledge and experience with western lakes he over rules those anglers.

Out of curiosity what do you mean it's not a rod option? The One certainly comes in a 9.5 ft rod (or as you would put it 114").

In all fairness you asked a vague question that has almost no relevance. Should I get a 10' 6 wt or a 10' 7 wt for fishing still water from a boat. You did not mention anything about having MOSFAP rules that state you are only allowed to cast from one side of the boat (still irrelevant imo).

Things to think about.

1) Does the drift boat you are fishing from store 10' rods easily? A lot of boats are a tight fit for 9' rods.

2) Think about the extra rod control you are going to need to exercise sharing a boat with one or more other anglers. That extra foot can make certain casts more difficult without impaling a streamer in fellow boaters. Also extra beers can cause this as well.

3) What do you think the 10' will accomplish?

4) What is the big difference between still water and the Mo, D, Horn etc?

5) Honestly it sounds like you asked a very specific question to a group that does not have expertise in that area and clearly you have forums and sources where you are reading debates on same, so that question is likely best posted there.

6) The answer is 7 wt.

7) Damn shame they don't make an 11 because 11 is louder than 10.

8) Going back to #2 and reading that you are going to have 3 people in the boat, yeah that's a lot of rods to be slinging around.

9) Please post information on Lochness Competition so we can make fun of it. Them there Googles didn't help.

10) People are messing with ya. Lighten up Mr. Talbot!

I'll Loch this thread so help me...

2.jpg

It's so technically filled with technicalities we all can't possibly understand. A technique so technical you absolutely need 10 foot rods to do it because Stillwater fishing is so amazingly different and hard!

Hey shame here's a link, read the first sentence, wow that took me 1 minute to find.

Now go buy your silly 10 foot 7 wt to go fish 10 tandem rigs and have confidence you got what you needed. Just don't come back here asking questions about the lines until you learn to temper you attitudes, take criticism and opposing view points, because you obviously don't know it all. I say I could get a 9 foot 9 weight that could throw more line than that 10' 7wt. But have at it I guess. Whatever. Have a wonderful day pro guide staffer awesome sauciness comp guy.

Ahahaha thanks for the laughs. Rare form for a 2am post show.

jdaddy wrote:
SBecker wrote:
Again, thanks Geebee!

Afish, like he just mentioned, I will be in a sitting position in a drift boat or rowboat. With a boatmate and a rower. Tough to do a side arm cast in those situations.

I don't understand why you even asked the question. You already have your mind made up. For some reason, you feel you need an extra foot of rod to fish still water instead of moving water OUT OF A DRIFT BOAT.

No I don't. 6wt or 7wt? That is all I wanted to know.

Such a good thread when we can get Jdaddy posting at 2am and Ramcatt coming back from the dead and having a coniption. JM?

Now that the specific application is known, the answer is get the ten foot 7wt, as that appears to be the rod the experts in Europe prefer and it does not appear that anyone on this forum has the expertise on this matter that you seek.

I apologize if I offended you with my prior post, as at the time of writing I was unaware that you are obviously a well-versed fly fishermen and utilize advanced techniques and styles and compete in formats that I, and many others, were unaware even existed.

I wish you the best in your competitive endeavors.

johnstevens5462 wrote:
Now that the specific application is known, the answer is get the ten foot 7wt, as that appears to be the rod the experts in Europe prefer and it does not appear that anyone on this forum has the expertise on this matter that you seek.

I apologize if I offended you with my prior post, as at the time of writing I was unaware that you are obviously a well-versed fly fishermen and utilize advanced techniques and styles and compete in formats that I, and many others, were unaware even existed.

I wish you the best in your competitive endeavors.
truly,truly beautiful-I will drink to that so pour me another shot.

jdaddy wrote:
SBecker wrote:
Again, thanks Geebee!

I don't understand why you even asked the question.

i do - he's picking up a new style of fishing that is not common over here and he's keen to do it the same way its done overseas rather than how its done here....

kind of like those guys who back in the 80's waded out chest deep into a run with a 10ft 3wt to the panty bunched horror of the 8ft 6' 5wt crew - but 'why ?' they screamed.

and then someone told them it was something called czech nymphing and now we have czech, polish, french, European styles of nymphing and great books like Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniels.

to be honest, on the Loughs of Ireland those fishing the wind lanes and foam lines using drogues (where allowed) often use 11ft rods let alone 10's and i've seen and fished a 12' myself - dapping mayflies, but 10' is a nice compromise for all round boatwork.

btw Becker - you'll be very lucky if you have a rower, most UK comps you and your partner row yourselves. Its a very unusual form of competition where your drawn boatmate is competing against you but you have to help each other with drifts, marks and rowing.

best of luck, i hope to see a report or two.

This whole thing is for a comp? Thanks for wasting everyone's time. Tell me where it's st so I can rent a boat and troll over your high tech comp set up with down riggers.

To answer your question....7'6" spinning rod, 6lb line and whiners will work best.

Mods: can we have a comp only section started so that the rest of us don't have to be subjected to this ?

BTW comp master,

Go to Pepacton Reservior after ice out.....for a month you can find 7-20 lb browns prowling the shoreline chomping up bait fish.

Off on a tangent, but try pounding the shorelines of Lake Ontario with a streamer just after ice-out in a small boat. If you're crazy enough to do it, you have a shot at some real nice browns.

try any lake at ice out - where the inflows or outflows are. always big fish around looking for a meal. as previously discussed elsewhere - any lake with a smelt population is prime water at ice out.

and to be fair, loch style fishing is probably the most difficult of still water techniques - big water, short cast, wild fish, no fish finder, a lot of wind and you can only cast ahead of the boat on the drift.

fishing static is a real art - less so with the use of blobs and boobies if they're permitted, but with traditional wets, a relaxing way to fish but a challenging one too.

should be a blast.

Back