10ft 6wt or 7wt?

SBecker

SBecker

I am looking for opinions on what I should be purchasing for fishing stillwater for trout out of a boat mostly, and sometimes from shore.

The rod will be a Sage One in the 10ft 6wt or 7wt model. There are no other option of rod to give me. Please don't comment that I should be purchasing an Orvis Clearwater or some crap.

I know this is a stretch, as I am sure there are not many on here that have fished stillwater for trout, as we don't exactly have the lakes in PA for it. Hoping one of the western guys on here can give me some insight.

Rod will be tossing many different types of lines and fly set ups. Including dual or triple streamers.

Also, don't say I should get the 7wt because I can use it for Steel or bass. This is for trout on lakes.

Thanks

Shane,

C 'mon....stringin 'em up and tryin 'em for yourself with the different lines you plan to use is the only way to chose.

I have a 2 (1 greater than the One) 10' 7wt that I love....but you don't wanna hear that given your sponsor.

Anyway, for lakes I would carry two rods. A 5wt for more delicate work and a 7wt for the heavy lifting and hauling. If I were to only have one rod with me, I guess a 6wt would be it....but a 5 & 7 would be ideal....if the rod I choose works well for me.

I have done enough lake and pond fishing for trout to give you my opinion but I am far from being an expert. In my experience, when stillwater fishing you are dry fly fishing or fishing within the top three feet to a moving and feeding fish. To me if I have to fish deeper than three feet or prospect the water I would rather fish a stream.

I would suggest staying away from the 7wt, as many times you need to lay the fly in front of the cruising trout with minimal disturbance. These fish can be very spooky and I just think a 7wt line is too heavy. I generally use a nine foot 5wt rod. If the wind is so strong that you are having trouble casting a 6wt, it all likelihood you should be fishing somewhere else.

SBecker wrote:
I am looking for opinions on what I should be purchasing for fishing stillwater for trout out of a boat mostly, and sometimes from shore.

The rod will be a Sage One in the 10ft 6wt or 7wt model. There are no other option of rod to give me. Please don't comment that I should be purchasing an Orvis Clearwater or some crap.

I know this is a stretch, as I am sure there are not many on here that have fished stillwater for trout, as we don't exactly have the lakes in PA for it. Hoping one of the western guys on here can give me some insight.

Rod will be tossing many different types of lines and fly set ups. Including dual or triple streamers.

Also, don't say I should get the 7wt because I can use it for Steel or bass. This is for trout on lakes.

Thanks

Given western lakes and "dual or triple streamers"...a 7wt would be handy.

I do agree that a 5wt for more delicate fishing would be desirable, if not necessary.

afishinado wrote:
Shane,

C 'mon....stringin 'em up and tryin 'em for yourself with the different lines you plan to use is the only way to chose.

I have a 2 (1 greater than the One) 10' 7wt that I love....but you don't wanna hear that given your sponsor.

Anyway, for lakes I would carry two rods. A 5wt for more delicate work and a 7wt for the heavy lifting and hauling. If I were to only have one rod with me, I guess a 6wt would be it....but a 5 & 7 would be ideal....if the rod I choose works well for me.

Lol thanks for the laugh. I already have a 9ft 5wt One and love it before "sponsorship". I am brand loyal. Also, if this was a brand choice I would do the cast all the lines route. However, there is no chance of me changing my mind, it is the rod I want and will buy.

Have you considered the Orvis Clearwater?

Lol bearded D. Make sure you let all the others know about this thread.

Ha ha. Done.

If it was me I'd get the 6 btw.

How about a switch rod with a 2K grain Spey switch line with a dry dropper combo? JK maybe even a green weenie

Great idea

one really fun and effective way of fishing ponds is stripping tent caddis type dries the last hour of light.You will be surprised how that brings them up-
often the only action is targeting cruising fish picking up midges either surface or slightly sub-letort ants in different colors are all I ever needed. -so a four or five works fine.

Buy the 7 with a Rio LT line. Or use a DT line for the close stuff, I also have a type 3 sinker for streamer and leech work.

Not an expert but have been Stillwater trout fishing from the bank and tube for 20 some years in the UK Ireland and US.

IMHO with good casting n modern lines there is no benefit to taking the 6...

Cheers

Mark

Stillwater fishing? What's up with that? I'd have to think the 6 would be sufficient for most but that triple streamer rig has me thinking the 7 might be the 'one'.....pun intended. What I'm going to do is pose this question to a guy I know that does comps, this guy knows everything about fly fishing. Is you cell on?

Ps PA has some great Lakes for it - wallenpaupeck, beltzville, raystown, Albert, muddy run reservoir plus dozens of smaller ones in state parks.

Invest in a fishin Buddy and have at it.

Why do you feel it has to be a 10' rod?

The 6 wt would be retarded if you already have a 5 wt (because again, the 10' is pointless).

So, go ahead and insert some crazy *** reason how you can justify the 10', then ask why the hell you are even thinking about a 6 wt.

/thread

The extra foot helps you keep your backcast off the water when you are sitting down in a boat or tube.

Go with the 10' 7wt. It will be more versatile. you can use it for Stillwater trout, steelhead, bass, and even for light saltwater fishing (bonefish, snook, and small surf species). I just used my 10' 7 wt. for surf perch fishing in Laguna Beach.

jdaddy wrote:
Why do you feel it has to be a 10' rod?

The 6 wt would be retarded if you already have a 5 wt (because again, the 10' is pointless).

So, go ahead and insert some crazy *** reason how you can justify the 10', then ask why the hell you are even thinking about a 6 wt.

/thread
Amen Bro.

geebee wrote:
The extra foot helps you keep your backcast off the water when you are sitting down in a boat or tube.

^this plain and simple.

Back