Your Favorite Color(s) for Zebra Midges

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

I am currently tying some in size 18 and 20 and I know black with silver wire and a silver bead is a good one. What other color, wire and bead combos do you favor? Thank you all in advance for your responses. WTT

Black & silver
Purple & silver
Tan & gold

This is my favorite and most effective. Body is soft wire. No need to add a bead. I do them in black and copper. This one is a #20.

GenCon

Attachments

• midge.jpg
    midge.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 20
Black bead with red thread and black wire
copper bead with copper wire and olive thread

Black Bead
Maroon Thread
Red Wire

Here is one that has produced very well for me. The Flashback Zebra Midge.

Black thread
Silver wire
Clear bead
One strand of holographic green flashabou tied over the back under the wire rib.

This one is also tied on size 20 hook.

I'm not very good at taking photos of these little flies. Hopefully, you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• Flashback Zebra Midge.JPG
    Flashback Zebra Midge.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 40
Have some in all red to imitate "blood worms." I typically tie these like GenCon above: just red wire with no bead.

For more traditional ones with ribbing and a beadhead, I like to use ribbing that has a strong contrast with the body color. Have some with black or dark olive body and silver or metallic ribbing and maybe some with light gray or tan bodies with black or red ribbing. Keep the bodies very thin and mix 'em up so that some have larger beads and others smaller. Don't rule out some in larger sizes. I do very well with ZMs tied on #14 scud hooks.

My favorite color and size is a 16 black zebra with silver ribbing. I fished a bunch of different colors and this one has always produced the best results for me with red being second choice. I also now tie all my zebras coated with Bondic that not only strengthens the fly, but also gives it a nice transparent sheen to it.

Check out the book midge Magic by don Holbrook. There is a ton of colors there and a section where he shows you the results.

on certain streams, I feel like i have noticeably good results with copper bead, tan thread, copper rib.

Black with micro silver tinsel rib or red with micro tinsel rib. Sizes 20 and 22.

Many thanks to all who responded. I have some ideas now about what sizes and colors to tie. WTT

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Many thanks to all who responded. I have some ideas now about what sizes and colors to tie. WTT

While WTT may have a better idea, I would benefit more if everyone would send a half-dozen samples along....... :)

Back