Wild Trout Streams

J

JasonC

Not asking for anything location related. Just wondering, when you guys are out hunting for new wild trout water, do you stick to only those listed on the PAFAB lists or do you scout streams that aren't even on there? Or is it a mix of the two?

The list is pretty comprehensive now so if your aim is to be successful catching trout then by all means use the list.

There is a lot involved in picking streams that may potentially hold trout that are not on the wild trout stream list. You need to understand geology and water chemistry plus watershed history. You probably won’t be successful just picking a random stream. Most streams are already documented by the pfbc or dep although you may find some very small streams with transient populations of wild trout.

That being said thing change and streams improve over time. Mike regularly documents this phenomenon all the time. You just have to decide if it is worth the tremendous effort to uncover these streams for yourself.

Lately I have been searching out streams that aren't on any PFBC list, and have been pleasantly surprised. I will be posting pics sometime tomorrow. The lists are a great starting point, but they aren't an end-all be-all. I research the geology of an area along with what is known about a particular watershed. I spend a lot of time studying maps and even more time in my truck with a full tank of gas. The best advice I can give over what has already been offered by numerous people on this subject is "Seek and ye shall find." Get out and explore. You will encounter some duds. You will eventually find something to your liking, and take pride in knowing you put in the effort to locate your little slice of heaven. The streams are out there. Trust me...or Sal, Swattie, and a host of other knowledgeable dudes here.

That's the approach I'll be taking. I have a couple within a short drive of another that's on the list already but there are a number of others that aren't on the list that are also within not a far drive. I know where to find geological maps but have no idea about what I should be looking for or keying in on in regards to geology, topography or the watershed properties. Any suggestions or pointers you guys are willing to share so far as to what info I should look for?

Making a point about what streams are and are not on the wild trout streams list: Certainly, there still are wild trout streams that are unknown to PFBC biologists. There are others that are known, but have yet to be documented for an assortment of practical reasons. Finally, and perhaps most misunderstood, if a stream is a tributary to a stream that has already been documented as being a wild trout stream or enters a segment of a stream that is a wild trout stream, the tributary receives the same protections as the receiving stream. The tributary itself becomes a low priority for a future survey. Sometimes, however, there are compelling reasons to survey the trib(s). It is not surprising that anglers would know of streams that are not on the list, tributaries or otherwise. Of course, other than in York County, I always wonder how many of those are in Area 6, we have diligently searched for such waters, sometimes with the help of anglers or other individuals with local knowledge.

JasonC wrote:
Not asking for anything location related. Just wondering, when you guys are out hunting for new wild trout water, do you stick to only those listed on the PAFAB lists or do you scout streams that aren't even on there? Or is it a mix of the two?
I guess a lot of it depends on how many streams the PFC has identified as Natural Reproduction in the counties where you fish. For instance, the county where my camp is has about 150 streams identified that way. If I would dedicate 25 days to hit 2 streams each day it would take me 3 years just to try each stream one time. In reality I will never fish all of them.

I would start with the Class A list and hit those first, then work your way down the various lists. You will find the drop off in numbers of fish being caught will drop off enough that your exploring will be minimized and you’d rather re-visit your favorites with the little time you have.

Excuse me for trying to learn.

Wild Trouter said it best here I think. When it comes to PA, pretty much anywhere with a lot of forest around and a nice rocky stream bottom will hold trout more often than not, and even some places without forest cover also hold trout. The PFBC list as Mike said should be considered a work in progress as they are still adding new streams to it every month. And also remember that some streams on the list can be duds. Populations shrink and expand over time. Your odds of finding trout in a stream on the list is probably 90% or higher, but streams not on the list you probably still have about 25% chance of finding trout, as long as it isn't something that is very obviously degraded by farmland or intense urban development. It's up to you how far off the radar you want to go with your exploration.

JC, I think most on this board have been in your shoes. Developing a list of go-to fishing spots takes time, research, time, local knowledge, time, experience, time and a little bit of luck. What some are reacting to is the means by which you are approaching what others have spent a lot of time developing. There are very few shortcuts to growing as a fisherman. Time and experience will win 90% of the time. Time.

No doubt, there has been an awful lot of good info and advice given about finding streams by many of the wild trout guys on here.

The PFBC list and wild trout map is a great shortcut to checking out wild trout streams to fish.

My suggestion is to use the map and pick out a few streams in an area to fish. Pick an area with a Class A nearby and/or one with plenty of public access (State Park, Forest or Gamelands) which will most likely give you a shot at some decent fishing for the day. Check out and fish a couple of streams each trip.

Pick another area and do the same thing on your next trip.

Before long you will have a list of many decent streams to fish.

I'm somewhat nomadic in my fishing. Other than the stream very close to home that I'll hit fish for an hour or two when I get the chance, I rarely fish any other stream more than once or twice a year.

Finding fishing spots is actually as much fun as actually catching the fish themselves for some.

Good luck finding and catching.

Have you attempted to make a friend?

You could cover a lot more streams that way. Trout Unlimited would be a good one to join or any other fishing club too.

After seeing streams on the reproduction list, I like to look on online maps and imagery. You can figure out a lot from that.

For example, the size of the stream. Some of the streams on the reproduction list are very small.

I like fishing small streams, but not tiny ones. You can get an idea of the size by the length of the stream line and its tributaries.

Also you can tell if the stream is on public land or not. Many streams on private land are posted.

And you can tell if the land is mostly forested, or if it has a lot of development.

If a stream has a road following the stream very closely, and if there a lot of houses, cabins, lawns etc. along the stream, that's not as favorable as a stream just "running through the woods."

But sometimes a stream has a road paralleling it, but the road is up on the sidehill, not right smack along the stream in the floodplain. That situation is much less damaging to the stream, so those can be good.

Another approach is to get the maps of the public lands within the region you will be fishing. State forest and state park maps are free. And fish the streams within these public lands.

There is good fishing on private lands also, but there is always the chance that you will encounter posting.

Because of responsibilities and life in general, the 2 friends I would travel to fish with have lost interest so I’m doing it solo. I have no problem going alone, it’s serene to be out there by yourself in the wilderness. Maybe many of you misinterpreted the intention of my question. I was simply asking what others’ techniques were when scouting new streams. I know where to find geological maps that have info about the underlying rockbed which could possibly point to limestone influenced streams. However, I’m certainly no geologist and can only read and interpret those maps in the most simplistic way. I most definitely will try at least 2 streams found on the Class A list but there are a number of streams close enough to explore that are not listed which I’m going to scout as well.
As far as pointers and tips, I was referring to how to read a geological map and what I should be looking for on it.
mszoke1802 - Your attitude sucks. It’s people like you who discourage new-to-wild-trout-fishermen like myself to not ask questions and attempt to learn everything possible from other board members here whom I hold in very high regard and respect as “experts” on the subject matter.

JasonC wrote:
Because of responsibilities and life in general, the 2 friends I would travel to fish with have lost interest so I’m doing it solo. I have no problem going alone, it’s serene to be out there by yourself in the wilderness. Maybe many of you misinterpreted the intention of my question. I was simply asking what others’ techniques were when scouting new streams. I know where to find geological maps that have info about the underlying rockbed which could possibly point to limestone influenced streams. However, I’m certainly no geologist and can only read and interpret those maps in the most simplistic way. I most definitely will try at least 2 streams found on the Class A list but there are a number of streams close enough to explore that are not listed which I’m going to scout as well.
As far as pointers and tips, I was referring to how to read a geological map and what I should be looking for on it.
mszoke1802 - Your attitude sucks. It’s people like you who discourage new-to-wild-trout-fishermen like myself to not ask questions and attempt to learn everything possible from other board members here whom I hold in very high regard and respect as “experts” on the subject matter.

As you can see, most of the wild trout FFers on here are great guys and willing to share ways to explore new trout streams.

You should understand there are those looking for a free ride and get some intel for themselves with no effort and also trolls just looking to cause trouble on many fishing sites.

I believe you are neither of those. You're just a new FFer looking to get started in the sport.

If you hang around long enough and keep asking questions, one of the guys on here just may take you under their wing and help you out.

Good luck in your search.

I agree that wild trout fishing in a remote area is one of the most relaxing ways to spend a day. The only downside is you may often find yourself kneeling under laurel trying to make an accurate cast without spooking the fish or catching said laurel. As a relative new FFer I would recommend practicing on more open water before venturing into the wilderness. Nothing turns a relaxing day into frustrating faster than cast, snag, break, repeat! What’s your preferred setup for small stream fishing?

JasonC wrote:

I'm guessing there are more than a few wild trout guys who cut their teeth on these streams before there was pafbc website listing wild trout waters. Alot of time and work went into creating their own list. I understand why people trying to take short cuts frustrates them. What they are trying to say is you already have a huge head start, enjoy the process. The other side of that is this board is a fantastic resource, why not use it. You have people willing to share and be helpful and that is great. However, you're going to have to take the good with the bad.

Long before the lists came out, I can remember dating my wife. Everytime we crossed a bridge where the water looked inviting- I had to stop the car and go have a look with polarized glasses. If I saw fish, I wrote down where I was so I could return later. I'm surprised that I didn't drive her nuts. Truth is, it's a disease. I have a short list of favorite streams, but the real fun for me these days is getting off the grid and uncovering new places that are virtually untouched. I may hit 3-4 streams an outing depending on how closely grouped together they are in a particular area, and depending on production. If a stream is really cranking the fish out and maintains my interest, I may not sample another stream that day. If it's a dud, you gotta keep moving. If it is Summer, make sure you carry a thermometer as that can tell you much about a place and what you can expect. I have color coded my Delorme Gazetteer over the years and have kept detailed notes on the highlighted streams within it. This is a great state with a lot of productive water. If after doing everything everyone recommended here and you are still stumped, I'm sure a friendly email to the AFM would yield some helpful information.

Jason,

You ask a difficult question that really takes years to get down.

Read articles on how to read a topo map and get a good topographic map.
You will be able to tell a good bit about the creek from it.
Ex:
Topographic-Map-Illustration.jpg

Next read and learn about geological features and how the effect trout. Ex: silca substrates bad - limestone good.

Next, search online and get a good geological map of an area you are interested in. Cross reference it with your topographic map and you can really tell a lot about a watershed.

Finally, cross reference all of this with the PFBC lists.
If you find a "sister" stream not on the list to another watershed that is on the list, in the same watershed with the same geology and topography (or not), it likely holds trout.

Like wildtrouter said, pick a bunch of streams in a close proximity, do your research then go explore. I recommend trying low (mouth) and high (headwaters) on the same watershed. Just because one is a strike out doesn't mean the whole watershed is bad.
Headwaters empty but it has tribs below, could be fish lower.
Lower watershed barren, there could be fish in the headwaters.

You just never know, it's half the fun.
If you lived closer id invite you over for a beer and chat and go into more detail but you basically got my method above.

Nothing replaces time and experience but you can shorten your curve.

Study hard, you will find uncharted waters.
Good luck

Back