hot summer days

Big Pine was >88 Degrees at Waterville last Saturday. How does that translate to temperature upstream at Slate Run? The gauge at Cedar Run doesn't have a thermometer.
I would assume close to 80 degrees if Slate Run itself got to 72 degrees 5 miles upstream the same day.

I camped at pettecote jnctn 2 weekends ago. Pine creek was warm and I didn’t see many risers in evening. I never fished but still had a great time. Lots of ppl still fishing when I was there. We’ll probably go camping there in may next year. I love that area of the state.

you can also use this national water dashboard to see the gauges, rainfall rates, and many other layers. It takes a few minutes to play with the settings to see the layers you want - but it is my go-to for all water data these days. You can click on any gauge and it will open the data for that gauge.
The free app rivers.run is great for checking USGS flow rates and changes, water levels and temp where available. The initial setup is a bit clunky, but thereafter it’s quick. It’s ostensibly a paddling app, but good for river and creek info:

IMG 3466

IMG 3467

Last edited:
Remember the old days when we just drove by the creek we wanted to fish, looked at it... then made the decision to fish it... if conditions were less than ideal.. say too high n dirty or too low n clear. We just made adjustments to the conditions to have success...think it made us better apt to handle conditions on future excursions

Why are people suddenly bleeding hearts over stocked fish in borderline temps? You realize they mostly die anyway right? Is that stretch not DHALO? for all we know the guy probably took that fish home and ate it, and the river is better off for it.

Pine Creek will never be more than a novelty to me. Until the day they flood the entire ancient lakebed up there in Ansonia and build a giant bottom release dam I don’t care to ever fish it again, and I sure as heck am not going to lose sleep bc a few guys are out there fishing for pellet pigs in the summer heat. Toss em up on the bank while you’re at it😂

Say it ain't so!

You're gettin soft. :)
Haha. Maybe I am. I'll always love chasing bass, but I just prefer trout anymore. There is something about em. Plus, there is so much cold water nearby that I am able to fish em all summer long.

It is still ignorant fishing for bass in "the stretch" which is catch and release trout water. Do the trout know not to eat a wooley bugger because it was meant for a smallmouth?

To me, if you spent that much time and effort to look dapper to go fishing than maybe they should do a little reading about what warm water does to trout. They didn't go somewhere miles away to fish and drive back with their gear on to walk around Hotel Manor when it was around 92 degrees out. Nope. Not buying it.

I wouldn’t worry about Pine. The majority of those trout will be toast soon enough. Doesn’t matter if you fish for them or let them be. Either way they are going to suffer. It’s unfortunate that there is a catch and release section on pine when it is not capable of being a year round trout fishery strictly based on environmental factors.

Why are people suddenly bleeding hearts over stocked fish in borderline temps? You realize they mostly die anyway right? Is that stretch not DHALO? for all we know the guy probably took that fish home and ate it, and the river is better off for it.

Pine Creek will never be more than a novelty to me. Until the day they flood the entire ancient lakebed up there in Ansonia and build a giant bottom release dam I don’t care to ever fish it again, and I sure as heck am not going to lose sleep bc a few guys are out there fishing for pellet pigs in the summer heat. Toss em up on the bank while you’re at it😂
Pine is catch and release right there, but whatever.

Anyway, I just found it a shitty thing to do in a catch and release section. If it wasn't catch and release I wouldn't have said **** because I don't care about stocked fish either. I just don't care for unsportsmanlike "sports" out there. Maybe you do.

As long as you’re planning on harvesting fish, and in an area legal to do so, have at it. No problem at all with that. That said, the Trout (even stockies) are way better at finding thermal refuges and surviving than we give them credit for.

I’m sure it’s similar in all of the large freestoners across NCPA, but on Pine in particular I’ve walked down to Pine to start fishing a small trib at its mouth, and numerous times have seen dozens if not hundreds of Trout, mostly Browns but some Rainbows too, stacked at the trib mouth. Once in August, in very low flows, I was fishing a small steep waterfall trib to Pine. Water temp in the trib was 60F. Water in Pine proper was 80Fish (based on Bass fishing I had done the day previous). I took the temp right at the mouth/seep where the fish were stacked and got temps varying from 68-72F depending on exactly where and the level of mixing that was occurring. It’s worth noting that the bigger fish were at the head closest to the seep, presumably in the coldest water.

Point is, they know what they’re doing, and if you’re fishing Pine anywhere below Galeton after about mid-June for Bass, unless you’re deliberately targeting Trout in those refuge locations, you’re not going to catch any Trout, so nothing to really worry about IMO.

Back