Why do people put fish on rocks for pictues????

Is it stressful to catch a fish? Sure. Is it the same kind of stress as laying him on rocks or a dry ground? No. Sorry. It's stressful for a fish to be moved into my home aquarium from the pet store.. Is it the same kind of stress that that fish would go through if I picked him up with dry hands, laid him on my dry kitchen table, took his picture, then chucked him back into the tank? No. One of those stresses will more than likely (not 100%, so the point is taken!) not kill him. The other one more than likely (again, not 100%), will.

Is it stressful to be caught on a fly and dragged through the water, then someone with wet hands picking you up for a few seconds, depriving you of air, having your picture taken, then set free all in a very short amount of time? I've never experienced it but I'm guessing it is ;-)

Is it the same kind of stress as having someone do the same thing, then, taking you, getting you to lie flat on a rock or in the mud or on dry ground, getting you in just the right position for a photo, suckin' all your protective slime off your body leaving you vulnerable to parasites and whatnot, then released? Again, I've never experienced it, but I'm guessing that's a far much worse stress with much longer lasting consequences.

I put Xanax in every fishes mouth I catch before I punt them.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Is it stressful to catch a fish? Sure. Is it the same kind of stress as laying him on rocks or a dry ground? No. Sorry. It's stressful for a fish to be moved into my home aquarium from the pet store.. Is it the same kind of stress that that fish would go through if I picked him up with dry hands, laid him on my dry kitchen table, took his picture, then chucked him back into the tank? No. One of those stresses will more than likely (not 100%, so the point is taken!) not kill him. The other one more than likely (again, not 100%), will.

Is it stressful to be caught on a fly and dragged through the water, then someone with wet hands picking you up for a few seconds, depriving you of air, having your picture taken, then set free all in a very short amount of time? I've never experienced it but I'm guessing it is ;-)

Is it the same kind of stress as having someone do the same thing, then, taking you, getting you to lie flat on a rock or in the mud or on dry ground, getting you in just the right position for a photo, suckin' all your protective slime off your body leaving you vulnerable to parasites and whatnot, then released? Again, I've never experienced it, but I'm guessing that's a far much worse stress with much longer lasting consequences.

No doubt, but if you cared enough about not stressing the fish then you wouldn't fish at all.

For the fly fishers who are concerned about fish mortality in picture taking I propose a new approach to fly fishing (which is essentially a blood sport no matter how much we wax poetic about C&R) Fish die from getting hooked sometimes when they might engulf the fly into the gill area or anywhere where the bold supply is near where the hook penetrates. Fish die sometimes from the exertion of the fight and may swim off only to die later.

The American natives had an activity called "counting coup". In essence it means they felt they didn't need to wound, or kill, an adversary. Just the fact they were able to touch the foe, or his weapons, gave them prestige, coup, like bragging rights among pretty much all fly fishers.

I propose that those fly fishers who never want to cause any harm to the quarry we pursue to take a pair of diagonals and snip the entire business end from your flies. Snip it right where the shank transitions into the bend and point. Then you can continue to fish, cast, rise a trout or feel the take and feel good about the fact you were successful in your deception yet fully aware the object of our affection was unharmed.

wbranch wrote:
csoult wrote:

If you don't want to stress the fish don't put a metal hook in its mouth then drag it through the water.....

This is a very good point. I think those fly fishers who are truly concerned about the welfare of the trout we pursue they should do as the native Americans used to do. They counted "coup". Which in essence meant they didn't feel they had to kill, or wound, an enemy to gain coup or prestige. Just touching the enemies body or bow, or other weapon was enough to gain them honor in the tribe.

I suggest those fly fishers hence forth take a pair of diagonals and snip off the entire business end of the fly. Cut the hook right where the shank transitions into the bend. Then the next time they are on their favorite piece of water bring a pen and little journal and cast these flies and whenever they get a strike they still get the pleasure of rising or getting the fish to strike the fly yet the quarry is not subject to any unnecessary pain and suffering. Then record the episode so they can share it with their friends.

There was a hook company that I can't remember in the late 80's maybe early 90's that made a hook with a tiny ball on the hook point.

The problem with laying trout on the rocks or on the ground is that they flop around, because of their natural escape instincts.

Flopping around on a hard surface they are getting battered.

If you briefly lift a trout up to take a photo, then return it to the water, there is none of that battering taking place.

So the two things are not equivalent, and not close.

My original point EXACTLY csoult!!! Sorta like a vegetarian who wears leather shoes. If you are concern about how "others" handle fish, then outlaw fishing altogether. Fishing, by nature is detrimental to the fish.

There was a hook company that I can't remember in the late 80's maybe early 90's that made a hook with a tiny ball on the hook point.

Partridge, Touch And Go (TAG) hooks. Never seen them in person, not sure how common they were in shops.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=72352

Skeet6 wrote:
I personally don't understand why people have to show the fly rod - oftentimes going as far as holding it in their mouth like a German Shepherd would. Is it just to prove that they used a fly rod? I just don't get that one, and it seems very common these days.
Mike B

Well, you got me. In the photo I provided earlier, I laid the flyrod next to the fish to show off my beautiful bamboo fly rod.

Now, analyze this next one.

Why the dollar bill in the photo?

Answer: I didn't have a beer can with me at the time. You figure it out. ;-)

I thought I had one with a beer can, but couldn't find it.

Attachments

• bluegill2.jpg
    bluegill2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 3
FarmerDave wrote:
Skeet6 wrote:
I personally don't understand why people have to show the fly rod - oftentimes going as far as holding it in their mouth like a German Shepherd would. Is it just to prove that they used a fly rod? I just don't get that one, and it seems very common these days.
Mike B

Well, you got me. In the photo I provided earlier, I laid the flyrod next to the fish to show off my beautiful bamboo fly rod.

Answer: I didn't have a beer can with me at the time. You figure it out. ;-)

I thought I had one with a beer can, but couldn't find it.

Photo-shopped!

i forget where I heard this analogy.... But a pretty good rule of thumb from what I understand is, catch the fish, land the fish, hold your breath, remove fish from water and snap picture while holding your breath, return fish to water while still holding your breath. You wouldnt want someone holding your head under water for 45 seconds, just like a fish doesnt wanna be outta water for 45 seconds while you set up the perfect photo op.

Catch fish, land fish in net, then get camera out while fish is sitting in the net. This gives the fish a little bit of time to chill out after fighting/landing it. Wet hands then remove the hook while the fish is still in the net. Grab camera, lift fish outta the net/water and point the camera in the general direction. Snap a handful of rapid fire shots in hopes you get atleast on OK one. Set camera down and release fish, it should swim right off. If the photos off center or what ever, you can edit/crop it later one once the fish is safely back in the water. Dont over focus/waste time on getting the perfect picture. If your trying to get artsy fartsy shots of fish, bring along a buddy so they can play camera man while you worry about keeping the fish in the water while they set up tripods and flashes and backdrops and ****.

FarmerDave wrote:

The end result of "making it rain?"

csoult- I hear you. I, personally, am not completely concerned about sparing fish from stress (obviously 'cause I keep fishin!). I am more concerned about risk management. In other words, how can we enjoy the resource while managing the risks involved so as to minimize mortality-with the complete realization that as long as we are ripping fish in on hooks, there will be SOME mortality.

But, man, I get it. I'm not too legalistic about it, though I do wonder, when laying the fish on dry rocks, dry ground, etc., is a person working against his or her C&R ethic? I assume, most times, it's done out of ignorance, though, just as I assume the dudes on the Tully who are ripping fish out of the thermal refuge into 80 degree water on 7x tippet are doing so out of ignorance.

Cause I used to do it before I was taught!

Sasquatch, for the record, this is the proper way to handle a fish.

Notice the wet hands.

Attachments

• River Chub.jpg
    River Chub.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 3
The_Sasquatch wrote:
csoult- I hear you. I, personally, am not completely concerned about sparing fish from stress (obviously 'cause I keep fishin!). I am more concerned about risk management. In other words, how can we enjoy the resource while managing the risks involved so as to minimize mortality-with the complete realization that as long as we are ripping fish in on hooks, there will be SOME mortality.

But, man, I get it. I'm not too legalistic about it, though I do wonder, when laying the fish on dry rocks, dry ground, etc., is a person working against his or her C&R ethic? I assume, most times, it's done out of ignorance, though, just as I assume the dudes on the Tully who are ripping fish out of the thermal refuge into 80 degree water on 7x tippet are doing so out of ignorance.

And now, you too are holier than thou!

They are just fish man...put here by the creator for our amusement. So long as folks are not torturing them intentionally, who cares. Observe, educate, but don't judge.

They will make more. Both the PF&BC and the Wild Population Bureau of Recruitment . (WPBR). In the last 25 years with all the harvest, overplaying, mishandling, fishing over thermal refuges, the wild populations seem to be improving and the range continues to expand.

I think we ought to worry more about lost access and engaging in proactive stewardship of the resource through conservation organizations rather than nit picking about someones thumbprint in a fishes belly or the lack of moisture on a fishermans hand during a photo.

They are just fish!

tomitrout wrote:

Partridge, Touch And Go (TAG) hooks. Never seen them in person, not sure how common they were in shops.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=72352

That's them...actually the point has an eye.

As with many things, some techniques are better than others.

Just in the flyfishing world, we can all improve out techniques in casting, getting good drifts, fly tying, etc.

And that includes C&R and taking fish photo techniques.

Several people said they've improved their C&R techniques over the years. I think I have too, and I think many flyfishers have. Credit is due to people who have shared these techniques over the years.

But, go back to the bashing. It's good for page view counts. ;-)

Maurice wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

And now, you too are holier than thou!

They are just fish man...put here by the creator for our amusement. So long as folks are not torturing them intentionally, who cares. Observe, educate, but don't judge.

They will make more. Both the PF&BC and the Wild Population Bureau of Recruitment . (WPBR). In the last 25 years with all the harvest, overplaying, mishandling, fishing over thermal refuges, the wild populations seem to be improving and the range continues to expand.

I think we ought to worry more about lost access and engaging in proactive stewardship of the resource through conservation organizations rather than nit picking about someones thumbprint in a fishes belly or the lack of moisture on a fishermans hand during a photo.

They are just fish!

I don't know if the "holier than thou" comment was a joke or not, but if not I'm not trying to come across that way. I hope I didn't! I do sincerely think most times things that are damaging to fish, like what I mentioned, are truly done out of ignorance, which is why I noted I try not to be too legalistic about it, realizing that i used to do the same stuff til someone taught me.

I was going by your last comment. about the thermal refuge fishing...If someone knows they can catch fish on 7x tippet and and that fish are in a thermal refuge. They are not ignorant.

Q: Whats the difference between ignorance and apathy?

A: I don't know...and I don't care.

As Troutbert indicates, we have all improved our practice of C&R through education. And through education, right or wrong, I believe we are getting a little overly sensitive about the effect of placing of a fish on a rock or in the grass for a quick photo.

Like I said, I think the landing and extended handling during the "hero shotting" of large trout does far more damage than the loss of a little fish slime when biologically the fish are producing an extra layer just because of the stress from being caught and played.

It bugs the OP to the same degree that seeing that dead mackeral eye in all his hero shots bugs me. But I ain't making a thing about it. Its his fish for the day, if it dies, it dies...

I think skillets are more detrimental to trout than any rock or bed of grass.

I sort of agree with Maurice, but with less attitude.

Also agree with this part.

I think skillets are more detrimental to trout than any rock or bed of grass.

Pans are for panfish.

If you chose bed of grass for your trout, make sure the grass is green and soaked in water, or it might flame up.

Back