What Are You Tying Today?

I know they aren’t the prettiest, but they catch fish.

IMG 3942

IMG 3799

One of the best smallmouth flies there is. Period. This is much better than his minnow.. Not sure why the crayfish isn't more popular.
Best smallmouth producer for me last summer! Dead drifted and dropper under a mr wiggly

Clouser Crayfish Materials:

Furry Foam
Mallard or Wood Duck flank feathers
Dubbing
Hackle feather
Pheasant Tail

It's not a hard pattern to tie, but it is somewhat time consuming. I have a lot of experience fishing for river smallmouth, and I will tell you it is a must have pattern. Put a BB split shot above it, and just let it hug the bottom. If you feel tension or see your fly line dip at all, set the hook. This pattern is almost magical. I promise!!!

One downside is this: they get pretty destroyed after 10 fish or so.. The furry foam can't take the abuse.
Thanks for posting this! I'm interested in tying some of these. Are there any good substitutes for the furry foam to improve durability? Or, have you tried coating it with something flexible?

Also, It seems like it would be helpful if it rode hook up. What about adding dumbbell eyes at the start of the bend to keel it?

Thanks for posting this! I'm interested in tying some of these. Are there any good substitutes for the furry foam to improve durability? Or, have you tried coating it with something flexible?

Also, It seems like it would be helpful if it rode hook up. What about adding dumbbell eyes at the start of the bend to keel it?
I've thought about the dumbbell eyes, but I don't recall ever trying it. I have never messed with the furry foam, either. I looked at it this way: the fly is a smallmouth catching miracle. Why change it?

Maybe it would be better, but I'm satisfied with it the way it is. I generally never get hung on the bottom with it..

I've thought about the dumbbell eyes, but I don't recall ever trying it. I have never messed with the furry foam, either. I looked at it this way: the fly is a smallmouth catching miracle. Why change it?

Maybe it would be better, but I'm satisfied with it the way it is. I generally never get hung on the bottom with it..
I think they work better with less weight tied into them (I put some near the head). I use spit shot to get them down when necessary

I think they work better with less weight tied into them (I put some near the head). I use spit shot to get them down when necessary
That is exactly how I do it. I tie them with some lead wire, but it doesn't really help the sink rate that much. I put a split shot like 6 inches above the fly. It crushes fish that way for me.

If I schedule a warm water jam this year, you gonna try to come back? I am most likely going to be setting one up for August here directly.

Green-Pearl-1080.jpg

Green Pearl

[Que] Reynold Sexton

Hook - Single salmon, size 2/0-10
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval silver tinsel, fluorescent green floss
Tail - Crest under shorter red hackle fibers
Rib - Oval silver tinsel.
Body - Pearl tinsel over fluorescent green floss
Throat - Natural guinea hen feather fibers
Wing - Stacked fluorescent green calf tail, 8-10 strands pearl krystal flash, peacock herls
Cheek - Jungle cock

Fly Patterns of Canada - Paul C Marriner

Green-Pearl-1080.jpg

Green Pearl

[Que] Reynold Sexton

Hook - Single salmon, size 2/0-10
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval silver tinsel, fluorescent green floss
Tail - Crest under shorter red hackle fibers
Rib - Oval silver tinsel.
Body - Pearl tinsel over fluorescent green floss
Throat - Natural guinea hen feather fibers
Wing - Stacked fluorescent green calf tail, 8-10 strands pearl krystal flash, peacock herls
Cheek - Jungle cock

Fly Patterns of Canada - Paul C Marriner

Another beautiful tie. Outstanding workmanship.

One of the best smallmouth flies there is. Period. This is much better than his minnow.. Not sure why the crayfish isn't more popular.
Great looking crayfish. What do you use for the claws?

That is exactly how I do it. I tie them with some lead wire, but it doesn't really help the sink rate that much. I put a split shot like 6 inches above the fly. It crushes fish that way for me.

If I schedule a warm water jam this year, you gonna try to come back? I am most likely going to be setting one up for August here directly.
if I'm in town, I will go. certainly

Chantry-1080.jpg

Chantry

Hook - Wet fly
Thread - Black
Tip - Gold tinsel
Body - Peacock herl
Hackle - Black
Wing - Dark slate

Trout - Ray Bergman

*Similar to a Leadwing Coachman

Back