Harvey-s-Favorite-1080.jpg

Harvey's Favorite

Hooks - MUSR70, TMC3769, or DIA 1550, sizes 10-14
Thread - Black
Tail - Black hackle barbs
Body - Dubbed with black muskrat fur
Hackle - Black tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wings - Mottled brown turkey-quill quill sections tied on edge over the body

Professor George Harvey of State College, Pennsylvania, originated this pattern.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Iron-Blue-Dun-1080-Hellekson.jpg

Iron Blue Dun

Hooks - MUSR70, TMC3769, or DIA1550, sizes 10-16
Thread - Black
Tail - Furnace hen hackle barbs
Butt - Red floss
Body - Dubbed with muskrat fur
Hackle - Furnace hen hackle tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wings - Natural gray duck quill sections tied on edge over the body

GFA was, without a doubt, my best brook trout fly last summer, once they were looking for a splat.

I tied this in brown for a swap last year but wanted to try some in stimmy-ish colors, as that is my go-to fly before foam starts working. Refilled my boxes with the subdued colors too.

Westman-s-Delight-1080.jpg

Westman's Delight

Hooks - MUSR70, TMC3769, or DIA 1550, sizes 10-14
Thread - Black
Tip - Bright green floss
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet barbs
Body - Dubbed with muskrat fur
Hackle - Black tied palmer-style over the body
Wings - Mottled brown turkey-quill sections tied on edge over the body

Howard Westman of Ann Arbor, Michigan, originated this pattern in 1942.

GFA was, without a doubt, my best brook trout fly last summer, once they were looking for a splat.

I tied this in brown for a swap last year but wanted to try some in stimmy-ish colors, as that is my go-to fly before foam starts working. Refilled my boxes with the subdued colors too.

View attachment 1641236667

View attachment 1641236667
I found HofM’s hopper pattern in one of my past swap boxes. Chucking it into the SMB box! I may go out for Smallies this evening if we don’t get crushed to hard with the storms.

IMG 0140

I want to tie these now too 🤣

Need to find that furry foam!
Flyfishers paradise has it. Olive, rusty brown and brown (and other colors). A tip is to use light tan yarn or chenille in place of dubbing. It simplifies the process.

Precision in Lancaster doesn’t have it. It sucks when you think you bought this stuff years ago and are too unorganized to actually locate it! 😉

Precision in Lancaster doesn’t have it. It sucks when you think you bought this stuff years ago and are too unorganized to actually locate it! 😉
or worse, you find it only to realize that time turns it into unusable piles of lint and now you need to source
a new supply.

I’m not thinking that I actually bought it that long ago! But maybe I did!! 🤣

Dang, I'm glad I set off a chain reaction of people wanting to tie the Clouser Crayfish.

Back