Pheasant tail X caddis
Hook - 12 Dry fly hook
Thread - 12/0 Veevus olive
Shuck - Antron sparkle dubbing
Body - Pheasant tail fiber dyed purple
Rib - Med gold tinsel twisted into a rope
Thorax - Chartreuse ice dubView attachment 1641236125
Wing - Natural elk hair
Is there a story for this color combo? It seems like an unusual color combination. When and where do you use this? (If I may ask.)

No story, never used it in the past but will in the future. I’m not a match the hatch guy and I'm not overly concerned with how flies have been tied by others. I’ve been catching fish, trout included, on bright colored yarn tied to a hook since I was 10.
Here’s one with green pheasant tail fibers, Sm chartreuse uni wire, and burnt orange ice dub. I have high hopes for this one.
IMG 8782

Last edited:
Winter-Fly-1080.jpg

Winter Fly

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Body - Oval silver tinsel
Hackle - Fluorescent fire orange tied on as a full collar

Ralph Wahl of Bellingham, Washington, originated this fly in 1965.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Sustat_Sunrise_1080.jpg

Sustat Sunrise

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Red
Tail - Orange calf tail, with purple Flashabou Accent tied on top
Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel
Body - Fluorescent fire orange chenille
Hackle - Purple tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wing - Orange calf tail tied over the body, with purple Flashabou Accent tied on top

Orange-Puppy-1080.jpg

Orange Puppy

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tip - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Hot orange hackle barbs
Body - Fine black chenille
Hackle - Hot orange tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wing - Gray squirrel tail tied low over the body
Head - Fine orange chenille at the base of the wing and finished with black thread

Adams-Wet-Fly-1080.jpg

Adams Wet Fly

Hook - Wet fly
Thread - Black
Tail - Golden pheasant tippets
Body - Gray wool
Hackle - Brown & grizzly
Wing - Grizzly hen hackle tips

A mix of original and modern materials

These aren't anything special (tho the yellow shuck is a little funny) but I thought I'd toss this up here for the jam guys. For me at least, it's by far the best pattern for sulphurs around these parts. I used to be meticulous about how I tied them, but anymore I just churn em out. The trout don't seem to care if the fly is literally falling apart. The hook is a #14 FM5050, so it's a bit smaller than 14s from other manufacturers. And the body is very pale yellow, almost white.View attachment 1641236041
I find that trout prefer damaged hackle/dubbing and trailing shucks over a pristine, high-riding dun - especially when they're in the film eating quantity over quality.

I had good luck fishing this fly on Little Pine the past 2 days. It floats like a cork and out fished a Sulphur Comparadun 2:1 that I had on as a trailer. On one cast I hooked a trout on both flies, something I can’t remember doing before.

Image0

The fishing was pretty hot, and yesterday’s temperature was even hotter, (my car Thermometer read 86° at one point) so I called it a day and came home last evening.

The warm sunshine, following several cold, rainy days also brought out the snakes. I nearly stepped on this one a few feet from a canoe launch on Pine Creek. If you look closely, you can see his rattles, and his 👀 looking at me. Watch your step out there.

Image0

Last edited:
I had good luck fishing this fly on Little Pine the past 2 days. It floats like a cork and out fished a Sulphur Comparadun 2:1 that I had on as a trailer. On one cast I hooked a trout on both flies, something I can’t remember doing before.

The fishing was pretty hot, and yesterday’s temperature was even hotter, (my car Thermometer read 86° at one point) so I called it a day and came home last evening.

The warm sunshine, following several cold, rainy days also brought out the snakes. I nearly stepped on this one a few feet from a canoe launch on Pine Creek. If you look closely, you can see his rattles, and his 👀 looking at me. Watch you step out there.
Hi MT,
Which canoe launch is the home for the rattlesnake and where on Little Pine did you get your 2-on-2 hookup? I'm going to try to make it to the canyon in the next couple weeks. :)
Thanks.

Hi MT,
Which canoe launch is the home for the rattlesnake and where on Little Pine did you get your 2-on-2 hookup? I'm going to try to make it to the canyon in the next couple weeks. :)
Thanks.

I also would like to know which canoe launch our friend is living. A few days ago, I camped at Black Walnut Bottom and the though of rattle snakes crossed my mind . I'm glad I didn't cross path with one.

Isn’t this a fly tying thread?

You are right, and I should not have mixed up the dry, sterile, dry fly picture with the snake picture and my comment about it. I would have deleted it in line with your comment, but this form does not permit edits after a brief time.

Last edited:
It’s a cool pic….no need to delete. Many of us are easily distracted.

PS…I love the fly you tied!! What do you call it??

Back