What Are You Tying Today?

Are you willing to share the materials list for this fly? Looks like it would fit the bill for my caddis needs. Thanks.
I tie this on a Tiemco 2457 size 12 or 14 hook, with about 10 wraps of .025 lead wire in the middle of the hook. The body is Kiley’s Latex nymph skin in natural color, with 6# Maxima Ultragreen mono wrapped over it for reinforcement, and to accentuate the segmentation. The latex also comes in caddis green if you prefer that bright green color (I don’t), and I believe any clear mono will work as well as the Maxima.

I used brown dyed Hungarian Partridge for the legs, and color the latex with a green Pantone Letraset marker. I sometimes also color the bottom of the fly with a brown Pantone marker. I used an 8/0 olive thread which shows through the latex a bit, and I’ve also tied them with tan thread (see attached picture), and you could also tie the head with black or dark brown thread if you wished to do so, although I probably wouldn’t tie the entire fly with that color when using the natural latex.

Image0

Last edited:
I tie this on a Tiemco 2457 size 12 or 14 hook, with about 10 wraps of .025 lead wire in the middle of the hook. The body is Kiley’s Latex nymph skin in natural color, with 6# Maxima Ultragreen mono wrapped over it for reinforcement, and to accentuate the segmentation. The latex also comes in caddis green if you prefer that bright green color (I don’t), and I believe any clear mono will work as well as the Maxima.

I used brown dyed Hungarian Partridge for the legs, and color the latex with a green Pantone Letraset marker. I sometimes also color the bottom of the fly with a brown Pantone marker. I used an 8/0 olive thread which shows through the latex a bit, and I’ve also tied them with tan thread (see attached picture), and you could also tie the head with black or dark brown thread if you wished to do so, although I probably wouldn’t tie the entire fly with that color when using the natural latex.

View attachment 1641235957
This is excellent. Thank you for the great write up.

It’s just a bugger, but sometimes it’s fun to go to the vise and try to figure out what a fish might want to eat if it’s going to rain 6 out of the next 8 days. 😉

View attachment 1641235968
You got that right! But, we'll still be begging for rain by July, I bet.

Midnight-Sun-1080.jpg

Midnight Sun

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tip - Oval gold tinsel
Tail - Orange hackle and guinea fowl barbs mixed
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Orange chenille
Wing - Sparse black bucktail tied over the body
Hackle - Guinea fowl tied on as a collar and tied back

Mike Frith of Renton, Washington, originated this pattern

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Surveyor-1080.jpg

Surveyor

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tail - White bucktail, with a smaller bunch of natural brown bucktail tied on top
Body - Rear half, fluorescent orange floss the front half, yellow chenille
Hackle - Brown and grizzly tied on as a collar mixed and tied back and down
Wing - White bucktail tied over the body, with red Flashabou Accent tied in at the sides

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Pheasant tail X caddis
Hook - 12 Dry fly hook
Thread - 12/0 Veevus olive
Shuck - Light olive ice dub
Body - Pheasant tail fiber dyed olive
Rib - Sm silver uni wire
Thorax - Flo shell pink ice dub
Wing - Natural elk hair

IMG 8774

Olive Hot Spot Perdigon

Fulling Mill 5045 Jig Force Sz 16
Fulling Mill 2.8 mm Slotted Tungsten Bead
CDL Tail
Sharpie for Wing Case :)

Attachments

• IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 45
After last evening I'm tying a bunch more size 14 and 16 pale comparaduns! Works great in the spring evenings. I also need to refill my wooly bugger collection. Too many rockfish and log fish and tree fish seem to take the buggers.

Anyone watch She Ties Flies on YouTube? An absolute artist. The cicada she ties is amazing. works of art and not for actual fishing I think.

Anyone watch She Ties Flies on YouTube? An absolute artist. The cicada she ties is amazing. works of art and not for actual fishing I think.

yes

a little dramatic but nicely tied flies

These aren't anything special (tho the yellow shuck is a little funny) but I thought I'd toss this up here for the jam guys. For me at least, it's by far the best pattern for sulphurs around these parts. I used to be meticulous about how I tied them, but anymore I just churn em out. The trout don't seem to care if the fly is literally falling apart. The hook is a #14 FM5050, so it's a bit smaller than 14s from other manufacturers. And the body is very pale yellow, almost white.
IMG 1123

Using new hooks and old materials to tie up a bunch of cream colored comparaduns. I'm going to be putting them to use over the next several days. I'll be tying up another half dozen during the course of this day.

Attachments

• PXL_20240517_170050208.jpg
    PXL_20240517_170050208.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 37
Back