What Are You Tying Today?

A whole hodgepodge of nuts and bolts stuff this evening.... Some #16 & 18 PMD / sulphur split case nymphs and PMD CDC sparkle duns thinking about my august trip to the Bighorn River.....and then back to PA for a few #18 Blue Quills CDC sparkle duns and some smaller 13-14mm Isonychia nymphs on a swimming nymph hook.View attachment 1641229197
What material are you using for the white stripe?

Gold-Digger-Original-2-1080.jpg

Gold Digger

Streamer Fly

Tail – Red and yellow hackle feather, opposed
Ribbing – Red floss
Body – White chenille
Wing – White bucktail
Cheek – Jungle cock
Collar – red and yellow hackle

This streamer. fly was originally tied for rainbow trout but in a larger size took a great many bass last season, so it was dubbed the Gold Digger. Daintily dressed, it is not reminiscent of feminine pulchritude, but a deceptive siren always.

1930s (fishandboat.com) Aug 1939

What material are you using for the white stripe?
The naturals have a tapered "racing stripe" so I've always used stripped feather quills to get that tapered look that fades out as you go down the abdomen.
I save all my spent wood duck flank feathers that I use for nymph tails and legs on my smaller nymphs and they get repurposed as ISO stripes. 😁
Of course mallard flank or any other number of flank feathers would work.
They're just pliable enough to make them easy to work with.
Sewing thread or other uniform diameter stuff would probably work fine but I've always liked the look of the stripped quills.
PXL 20230307 204219372
PXL 20230307 204354796

Hi everyone,
New to the forums and relatively new to fly tying/fishing. Lots of awesome tiers here and so thankful to be able to look and learn from everyone's photos! Here are a few size 10 olive buggers I did last night. Tried to keep my tails shorter than I usually do. They might be too short, but I have missed more than a few in the past from tails that are too long.
Great looking flies!

Castle-Rock-1080.jpg

Castle Rock

Atlantic Salmon

Daniel Dufour

Tag - Oval silver tinsel and pale blue floss
Tail - Golden pheasant crest
Butt - White ostrich herl
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Violet floss
Wing - White bucktail
Hackle - Black, long

Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies - Paul C Marriner

I tried my hand at tying some wood duck heron flies, albeit with mallard flank feathers because I didn’t want to waste my actual wood duck feathers until I first tied up a few.

7A2A42C1 5B31 4E39 8CE1 F802B959F8B9

Kemp Bug 1080.JPG

Kemp Bug

Winged Wet Fly

Tail - Peacock herl

Ribbing - Copper wire

Body - Peacock herl

Hackle - Brown hen

Wing - Grizzly hackle tips

thank you

Kemp Bug 1080.JPG

Kemp Bug

Winged Wet Fly

Tail - Peacock herl

Ribbing - Copper wire

Body - Peacock herl

Hackle - Brown hen

Wing - Grizzly
Castle-Rock-1080.jpg

Castle Rock

Atlantic Salmon

Daniel Dufour

Tag - Oval silver tinsel and pale blue floss
Tail - Golden pheasant crest
Butt - White ostrich herl
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Violet floss
Wing - White bucktail
Hackle - Black, long

Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies - Paul C Marriner
You have mastered your craft. Congrats! I hope one day ya find a way to display all these…

You have mastered your craft. Congrats! I hope one day ya find a way to display all these…

i'm still learning even after 40+ years of tying flies

Back