What Are You Tying Today?

Flashback zebra midge

IMG 9698

It's that time of year again, men. 😎 The only color I really bother much with. Always have to keep a few in the vest, no matter what else seems to be hatching. Gold bead, for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_122826741.jpg
    IMG_20240309_122826741.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 43
Y2K in various colors. I have yet to catch a trout on one of these. I don’t think I alway present them well enough. Maybe this year I finally catch one on a y2k egg pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 33
I tried dying a snowshoe rabbit foot brown yesterday and it turned out gray. ?? Gray isn’t a bad color in any case so I decided to tie a wet fly with it.

I also plucked one of the Hungarian Partridge feathers from a skin that I hadn’t previously used for a collar on the fly.

I might trail one of those snowshoe wets behind a Parachute Adams to see which fly, if either, the trout prefer.

View attachment 1641234753
View attachment 1641234751
Mt, that's a looker! Love the bugginess and the added wrap of the partridge.

One of my top attractor patterns. Absolute stockie crusher. Usually my first rig of opening day, esp if there's a little bit of sunshine. I call it the "purple people eater Prince". I don't know what the fish think it is, but they eat the hell out of it. Had some legit triple digit trout openers on this pattern over the years. I'm a horrible photographer but that's pearl ice dub on the collar and a purple/ pearl Krystal flash tail. Usually tie them in #14 and don't bother with any other sizes.

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_123057318.jpg
    IMG_20240310_123057318.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 37
Is this like a crystal meth? I know guys use them for salmon, do they work on trout as well?
Its not Krystal braid. It's a simple gold craft store acrylic yarn that gets a nice translucency when it gets wet. It's a pretty close match to the real thing (sucker spawn) that the fish gorge on in the early spring when the suckers are on the redds. Its literally a 30 second tie. I don't worry much about neatness. I tie them small (#16-18) and sparse. I separate the yarn into single strands by untwisting it and I use a single strand and only one row of loops. Most of my steelhead sucker spawn is tied the same way, but in various bright colors. Small and sparse is usually my mantra. Small with the steelhead, only one row of loops.

Here's a bunch of (approx) #16. Another thing I do is tie my "junk" egg patterns, etc on gold salmon egg hooks. The cheap gold eagle claws are less than $2/ pack. The #10 egg hooks is nearly identical in size to a standard #16 scud hook, but with a slightly wider gap, which I like. I also like that little bit of flash on a gold hook for a lot of attractors . I also tie "micro mops" on these hooks. Any "junk" quick ties. And if I run out of better hooks, these cheap egg hooks are almost always in stock at Walmart in a pinch. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_124825948.jpg
    IMG_20240310_124825948.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Polish_20240310_125428112.jpg
    Polish_20240310_125428112.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 44
Y2K in various colors. I have yet to catch a trout on one of these. I don’t think I alway present them well enough. Maybe this year I finally catch one on a y2k egg pattern.
Oh those will catch fish. I've had pretty decent luck on those the past 3 years, especially for stocked trout. Best colors were salmon/peach, pale yellow, light pink or light orange. Sometimes as a single color, others with 2 color combinations. I usually fished them under an indicator of some type, either a hopper style or yarn/wool. Always with a tungsten bead. Those were the first fly I learned to tie.

Tie 'em on and have confidence when fishing them. They do work. Good luck!

Man, I hate the small stuff, but have to have some little BWO nymphs and emergers in the vest. The little stuff gives me fits. Zebra midges, ok. Actual nymphs with wing cases and legs SUCK.

Attachments

• Gallery_1710105397141.jpg
    Gallery_1710105397141.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 27
Its not Krystal braid. It's a simple gold craft store acrylic yarn that gets a nice translucency when it gets wet. It's a pretty close match to the real thing (sucker spawn) that the fish gorge on in the early spring when the suckers are on the redds. Its literally a 30 second tie. I don't worry much about neatness. I tie them small (#16-18) and sparse. I separate the yarn into single strands by untwisting it and I use a single strand and only one row of loops. Most of my steelhead sucker spawn is tied the same way, but in various bright colors. Small and sparse is usually my mantra. Small with the steelhead, only one row of loops.

Here's a bunch of (approx) #16. Another thing I do is tie my "junk" egg patterns, etc on gold salmon egg hooks. The cheap gold eagle claws are less than $2/ pack. The #10 egg hooks is nearly identical in size to a standard #16 scud hook, but with a slightly wider gap, which I like. I also like that little bit of flash on a gold hook for a lot of attractors . I also tie "micro mops" on these hooks. Any "junk" quick ties. And if I run out of better hooks, these cheap egg hooks are almost always in stock at Walmart in a pinch. 😁
Something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 11
Something like this?
Yup. Except for trout I really don't use any color but gold/ yellow. And don't be afraid to go really small #18 and even 20, and more sparse. Seems like the smaller and "sparser", the more readily they take them. Try to get them down deep too. Hard to get any lead wire on those little hooks, but I do like a gold tungsten bead and some split shot. The real thing tumbles along the bottom and sticks to rocks and gravel. Troutbitten blog has an awesome post about it. I'll try to find you the link...

I'm pretty sure the sucker spawn was the original pattern and the Krystal Meth an evolution kind of like the sexy Walt's...

Back