What Are You Tying Today?

I'll tie one later today and I'll post it.
here's a version i like with the material i tie it with.

i have a lifetime supply if you'd like some...
Sucker spawn 1
IMG 3265

Larry, as you can see, I have my own lifetime supply of sucker spawn yarn for like $4. I tie an orange dubbed body of ice dub and put a little sparkle off the tail.

Dear dc410,

Knowing my brother Terry Murphy that buggy fly is on a 1/0 circle hook! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I would have never guessed you two are related, you look nothing alike!

Larry, as you can see, I have my own lifetime supply of sucker spawn yarn for like $4. I tie an orange dubbed body of ice dub and put a little sparkle off the tail.View attachment 1641233998
Looks good! I tie mine with fire orange thread which kinda looks like embryo inside the semi transluscent yarn when it gets wet.

Tough to find good stiff oversized hackle for these, so the hackle color is not quite correct, s/b Cree, but
it'll still fish great!

grey fox variant tied on #14 mustad 94840.
View attachment 1641234025View attachment 1641234026

I kinda know what you mean about good stiff hackle, and even more so in Cree, being hard to find these days. As you can see, I have that problem too. 😊 And nice looking fly by the way.

Image0

I kinda know what you mean about good stiff hackle, and even more so in Cree, being hard to find these days. As you can see, I have that problem too. 😊 And nice looking fly by the way.
metz necks used to have really stiff spade hackles on the sides of their necks that used to be good for tailing dries. Seems most breeders have bred them out in lieu of more small size hackle.
If i see old metz necks and they haven't been picked clean of the spade hackle i usually buy them.

View attachment 1641234028
that cree feather in the middle is perfect for a nice large GFV. just need another one or two more to get enough turns of hackle on the hook.

that cree feather in the middle is perfect for a nice large GFV. just need another one or two more to get enough turns of hackle on the hook.
Seeing that pile of feathers scattered all over on my desk and vise, that‘s what I meant by being hard to find.

The Cree is from an old saddle hackle and its barbules are very stiff and probably long enough to tie up to a size 4-6. They would also make good tailing material.

I got the Cree in a sewn/stitched roll of loose saddle hackles of various colors in the mid 1970‘s from a guy in Fresno, California. He had a semi-trailer in the backyard of his property that was filled with feathers of all kinds. As I recall he sold them by the pound, and they were pretty cheap. I may have bought a pound and wish I would have bought more.

I've tried it, not really stiff enough. At least the cdl that i have.
Hi Lars, Maybe try two opposing hackles (both concave facing each other). A short shank hook with a appropriate gap might help also. I may have read thats how Hewitt originally tied them.

Hi Lars, Maybe try two hackles opposing themselves (both concave facing each other). A short shank hook with a appropriate gap might help also
i've tried many different methods and materials and really what i've discovered over years of trial and error is the key to getting a good floating super large hackled fly is with super stiff, web free rooster hackle.

I like to tie them they way Art Flick tied his. HUGE. I use his nick name for the pattern, feather duster.

Back