What Are You Tying Today?

I have seen them tied with a hen pheasant feather when grouse (red phase) was not available.

Winklers Leather Leech .
Getting ready for some springtime gills and crappies .
907BC363 6944 4D8A 8513 46A5A561630C
C143EFAB 082B 4773 9C66 6F676DCF4522

Trout streamers
Hook - VMC 2/0, 4/0, and wide gap 3/0 in-line hooks
Thread - 6/0 Uni
Body - bucktail and/or polar fiber with flash
IMG 8472
IMG 8475

okay okay, they aren’t trout streamers. I had to refresh my striper box for the spring. Shoot me.

IMG 8477

IMG 3301

I love tying wulff flies. What do you use for the wing? Over the years, bucktail has become my favorite for the wings. I find calf body too hard to tie in as it's so short, and I can never get calf tail to stack properly.
Ok, the reintroduction of the Wulff's has gotten out of control on my tying desk and the Wulff pack has grown. They are fun to tie! An intervention may be in order however, can't seem to stop tying them. Three different sizes, #12 Mustad 94840 and #12 & #10 Mustad 9671. It's Fran Betters pattern. He could tie them in 3 minutes and would say his flies would be good for 50 to 100 fish each. I can't tie them that fast, but i do tie a fairly durable fly, should be over 500 fish looking for a new piercing.

View attachment 1641234143

Ok, the reintroduction of the Wulff's has gotten out of control on my tying desk and the Wulff pack has grown. They are fun to tie! An intervention may be in order however, can't seem to stop tying them. Three different sizes, #12 Mustad 94840 and #12 & #10 Mustad 9671. It's Fran Betters pattern. He could tie them in 3 minutes and would say his flies would be good for 50 to 100 fish each. I can't tie them that fast, but i do tie a fairly durable fly, should be over 500 fish looking for a new piercing.
I always tied my AuSable Wulff flies with like a grayish dubbing..what color do you have going on there? What is that dubbing color called? I am gonna start filling a box with some Wulffs, too.

Nevermind. I just read that the original was tied with rusty brown/orange Australian Opossum fur.....I guess I have never tied a true Ausable Wulff. I use Wulff ties for my green drakes.

I always tied my AuSable Wulff flies with like a grayish dubbing..what color do you have going on there? What is that dubbing color called? I am gonna start filling a box with some Wulffs, too.

Nevermind. I just read that the original was tied with rusty brown/orange Australian Opossum fur.....I guess I have never tied a true Ausable Wulff. I use Wulff ties for my green drakes.
Yup, I use orange australian opossom for dubbing. Woodchuck tail, calf tail wing, one brown, one grizzly hackle with fire orange thread.

image.png

San Juan Adams 😁

for that time of uncertainty between tossing a dry fly or a wet fly

9pxP.gif

Mini leech olive #12 enhanced with a perdi- UV cured underbody with softhackle. For those ponds that remain open from 15 Feb.

image.png

San Juan Adams 😁

for that time of uncertainty between tossing a dry fly or a wet fly

9pxP.gif
Drown it with some split shot and I guarantee it catches fish !?....LOL
Then if you get in a bind snip ends off and you're in the dry fly game :)
I like it! :ROFLMAO: And it actually has pleasing proportions.

Little black stonefly nymph

Hook - TMC200R size 18 3XL
Thread - Black UTC70
Legs - Black spanflex
Body - Hareline midge tubing, black
Wing case - Black pheasant tail fibers/SHHAN
Thorax - Hareline stonefly dubbing

IMG 8481

Back