What Are You Tying Today?

What do you think. Never done a dry fly Ell Hair Caddis. Size 12 hook, 70Denier thread a roster feather and brass wire and rabbit hares mask
I am by no means an export, but for my dry files I try not to use wire. Maybe just use your thread as if you are making a dubbing loop without dubbing. Hope that makes sense.

I’ve been tying various soft hackles. I usually tie 2-3 at a time and then switch to a different pattern. I should probably focus on a few patterns and tie more of them. But my attention span is usually not long enough to do that.

This morning I tied some wood duck minnow patterns. Last night I tied a few isonychia soft hackles and some all-fur wet flies. Before that I tried some North County spider patterns, including a waterhen bloa (without the actual waterhen).

I have to say that I find tying and fishing soft hackles and wet flies more fun than fishing euro-style nymphs. I catch more fish by nymphing, but it’s a lot more interesting to me to try fishing soft hackles and wet flies.

IMG 0028

Last edited:
I’ve been tying various soft hackles. I usually tie 2-3 at a time and then switch to a different pattern. I should probably focus on a few patterns and tie more of them. But my attention span is usually not long enough to do that.

This morning I tied some wood duck minnow patterns. Last night I tied a few isonychia soft hackles and some all-fur wet flies. Before that I tried some North County spider patterns, including a waterhen bloa (without the actual waterhen).

I have to say that I find tying and fishing soft hackles and wet flies more fun than fishing euro-style nymphs. I catch more fish by nymphing, but it’s a lot more interesting to me to try fishing soft hackles and wet flies.

View attachment 1641232700
Do you have a tying channel on Youtube? Just asking because a very recently posted video for that exact woodduck minnow came up in my algorithm this morning.

Do you have a tying channel on Youtube? Just asking because a very recently posted video for that exact woodduck minnow came up in my algorithm this morning.
I do not, but I saw that same pattern this morning. It’s what got me interested in tying some this morning. Tim Flagler also has a wood duck heron fly on his channel.

View attachment 1641232700

I’m a big fan of tying and fishing soft hackles. I love how soft hackle looks in the water.

What do you think. Never done a dry fly Ell Hair Caddis. Size 12 hook, 70Denier thread a roster feather and brass wire and rabbit hares mask
Looks fine. I tie in a fine copper wire rib on an EHC. Plenty of stuff to float it. I don’t tie tails in and I don’t trim the hackle. After tying in the elk hair, take few extra loose wraps towards the tail to tame the flare on the wing a bit. it will fish just fine as it is though Since fish don’t know how somebody else tied this pattern.

First time View attachment 1641232742really stacking hair and shaping. Messed up the back end and the overall shape of the cape but I was able to recover this. My issue the back first stacks I did not secure good enough.
I think you're doing great, except... you need more junk in the trunk!

You could still pop in there and put a Marabou or bucktail tail to give it some movement. Could tie in materials and do a big, wide whip finish at the butt if you're careful.

Back