What Are You Tying Today?

After years or seeing crayfish everywhere I decided last night that I should tie some. I'll probably catch a raccoon. Found the basic idea online and then freestyled. Supposedly the tail makes it act like a crankbait. And a lot of lead on the hook is supposed to offset the foam's buoyancy
View attachment 1641232235
This looks amazing do you have a material list?

This looks amazing do you have a material list?
Thanks! Here's what I used but like I said it was kind of off the cuff so I'm sure whatever you have around would work. In order of application:

#4 7XL3XH streamer hook (the crayfish around me get huge)
2 mil brown foam
.30 lead
210 rootbeer colored thread

mouth parts/antennae
brown marabou
rootbeer colored krystal flash
barred rubber legs

a ball of rabbit dubbing to keep claws and eyes separated

pine squirrel strips for the claws
melted 20lb mono for the eyes

lots of dubbing for the main body, 50-50 mix of brown rabbit and rootbeer ice dub
big ginger hackle feather for the legs (I realized this morning I maybe should have used a softer hackle feather here)
same dubbing mix for the tail

then I just trimmed and tied down the foam on top, whip finished behind the eye and super glued the main body foam down (shameful, I know) and hit it with a red marker.

No idea how it'll swim, I may need less lead or thicker foam to get it to act right.

Thanks! Here's what I used but like I said it was kind of off the cuff so I'm sure whatever you have around would work. In order of application:

#4 7XL3XH streamer hook (the crayfish around me get huge)
2 mil brown foam
.30 lead
210 rootbeer colored thread

mouth parts/antennae
brown marabou
rootbeer colored krystal flash
barred rubber legs

a ball of rabbit dubbing to keep claws and eyes separated

pine squirrel strips for the claws
melted 20lb mono for the eyes

lots of dubbing for the main body, 50-50 mix of brown rabbit and rootbeer ice dub
big ginger hackle feather for the legs (I realized this morning I maybe should have used a softer hackle feather here)
same dubbing mix for the tail

then I just trimmed and tied down the foam on top, whip finished behind the eye and super glued the main body foam down (shameful, I know) and hit it with a red marker.

No idea how it'll swim, I may need less lead or thicker foam to get it to act right.
I have been doing great this season with the clouser crayfish and wanted something with a little more movement and I think your crayfish is the great combination of the two

Here's another one from last night that I really like. It's my go-to ISO nymph. It's roughly Don Bastian's pattern with some material subs and ostrich herl added and trimmed for the gills, which is that part that really does it for me. Tonight I'm thinking I'll try an articulated version of this.
IMG 8890

Here's another one from last night that I really like. It's my go-to ISO nymph. It's roughly Don Bastian's pattern with some material subs and ostrich herl added and trimmed for the gills, which is that part that really does it for me. Tonight I'm thinking I'll try an articulated version of this.
View attachment 1641232236
Yessir those are on the menu for this weekend. Beautiful tie right there.

I see that you did not choose the Rosenbauer variant!
I often go off in my own direction.
Sometimes it’s because I don’t have the same materials.
Sometimes because I really don’t think that fly will catch a fish.

The Iris caddis is a solid fish catcher. I’ll often incorporate it on a 3 fly wet fly rig and catch plenty of fish on it.
My biggest PA brookie came on an Iris Caddis some years back while fishing with my dad. He had hooked the fish before me and it broke him off... waited a while and went upstream and swung a size 14 Iris in front of him. Netted the fish and got my dads fly back! Must be 15 or so years ago now.

Japeto-Frog1080.jpg

Double Barrel Japeto Frog

Ken Capsey

Hook - Kona Big Popper Hook, 2/0
Thread - White
Rear Legs - Fish-Skull Articulated Fish-Spines 15mm, 20mm and 25mm and chartreuse & yellow foam
Feet - Sili-Legs*
Body - Chartreuse & yellow foam
Legs attached to hook with 20-25 pound monofilament
Head - Surface Seducer Double Barrel Popper & Slider Body, large, green chartreuse
Eyes - Surface Seducer Dragon Eyes, 6mm Tropic color
Front Legs - Sili-Legs*
Markers - Pale olive & Burnt umber

*I used olive & black centipede rubber legs

First try at tying flies today did 2 Stealth Bombers. I need to get a template cutter.

Yellow was the first attempt didn't put foam far enough back. White/pink is 2nd attempt.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpeg
    IMG_0398.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 37
A very good beginning Combatgrunt! Don’t waste your money on cutters. Most people start off with easier patterns like wooly buggers and Clouser minnows, both of which are also very effective patterns. Keep at it.

Back