82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1
Bob, why such a big hook?

GenCon

that's on the small side for musky and pike

sandfly wrote:
that's on the small side for musky and pike.

I hear you. I see many flys like this with large hooks. I just don't get why. Are you doing it to match the size of the fly?

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
sandfly wrote:
that's on the small side for musky and pike.

I hear you. I see many flys like this with large hooks. I just don't get why. Are you doing it to match the size of the fly?

GenCon

I do it cause I'm getting older and it's hard to see! :)

I'm guessing the fly's 6-8 inches long. My biggest pike fly is around 8 inches. Tied on a 6/0 Partridge Pike hook. When I was learning to tie, the idea of fly proportion, amounts of material used and where to tie that material on the hook and also the size of the hook in order to match the hatch. If the "hatch" is 8 inches long you're going to need a hook with a long enough shank and wide enough gape to create your match, both size and shape. You could tie a 6 to 8 inch fly on size on a size 1 or 1/0 long shank hook but not with those materials or that body shape. If you tried to tie that style and size on a smaller hook, it might not perform the same way, or worse it wouldn't look good to us. The fish might not care, but to us it doesn't look like a shad or bunker. Aesthetics matter to us. That's a great looking fly for many reasons, one of which is it's tied on the right size hook.

Some frenchies yesterday

Frenchie.jpg
[/url][/img]

N4tZlPB.jpg

Very nice Jerry!

GenCon

emerger can be tied from size 10-18. your choice

nfrechet wrote:
emerger can be tied from size 10-18. your choice

I just wanted to know what size the particular one in the photo was tied on

heres one for you gencon, a micky finn on steroids. 1/0 hook 4" long. one of the things with big flies and big hooks is the balance between material and the hook. to small a hook and it will not ride right.

Attachments

• Image00051.jpg
    Image00051.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
sandfly wrote:
heres one for you gencon, a micky finn on steroids. 1/0 hook 4" long. one of the things with big flies and big hooks is the balance between material and the hook. to small a hook and it will not ride right.

Thanks Bob, that's the answer I was trying to get. I figured it was mostly to balance fly. Large hooks like that can be tough to set. I have done a ton of salt water FF and have seen that. In the old days. Tarpon guides insisted on using very large hooks. They believed they needed that large hook to hold the fish. Over the years they found out that was not the case. Big hooks are hard to set in tough fish. Eventually we learned the smaller the hook the better the hook up. I only use 1/0 hooks for tarpon and have a great success rate for catching. All that being said I am also tying smaller flys.

Thanks,

GenCon

btw8sLU.jpg

NewSal wrote:I just wanted to know what size the particular one in the photo was tied on

i think it was a 10

it was tied awhile back and i really dont remember

yOY6RjC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back