>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you put me on your Christmas list??? :-D

A few Jig ties.

K9AsN7ph.jpg

Dragonfly - size 12 streamer hook, clear wings, wire coated body behind hook, turkey feather barbs for legs, bead head eyes and peacock sparkle body.Some UV on finished thread (olive).

Attachments

• Dragonfly I.jpg
    Dragonfly I.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Dragonfly II.jpg
    Dragonfly II.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 1
Copper-John-1080.jpg

Copper John

even I struggle tying this fly. i suck at tying legs! yuk!

It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what the trout think.

Swift_River_1080.jpg

Swift River

Hook - Daiichi 2370
Thread - Black
Tail - Golden pheasant tippets
Ribbing - Flat silver tinsel
Body - Bright green wool or uni-yarn
Throat - Dyed red hackle fibers
Wing - Brown over white bucktail

Reference - Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

Yellow_Poric_1080.jpg

Yellow Poric

Hook - Daiichi 2370
Thread - Black
Tag - Flat gold tinsel
Tail - Slip of dyed red goose, duck quill or hackle fibers
Body - Peacock herl twisted around a thread core for reinforcement
Wing - Dyed red and yellow bucktail, mixed

Reference - Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

Ive-s-Green-1080.jpg

Ive's Green

Category - Steelhead

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Red
Tail - Dyed red hackle fibers
Ribbing - Flat silver tinsel
Body - Fluorescent green chenille
Hackle - Grizzly tied on as a collar
Wing - Dyed red bucktail

Reference - Fish Flies Vol 2 - Terry Hellekson

Rainbow_1080.jpg

Rainbow

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - White for the underbody, then black for the head
Tag - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Guinea hen hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - 4 equal segments - back to front - fluorescent green, red, blue and orange floss or uni stretch
Throat - Guinea hen hackle fibers
Wing - Gray squirrel tail

Reference - Hair-Wing Atlantic Salmon Flies - Keith Fulsher and Charles Krom

Red-Fox-Squirrel-Nymph-1080.jpg

Red Fox Squirrel Tail Nymph

Hook - Nymph style
Weight - Lead free wire (optional)
Thread - Orange
Tail - Red fox squirrel body hair
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - SLF red fox squirrel abdomen dubbing
Thorax - SLF red fox squirrel thorax dubbing
Hackle - Dark barred ginger hen cape or partridge

Girdle-Bug-1080.jpg

Girdle Bug

Hook - 3xl-4xl nymph style
Thread - Black
Weight - Non lead wire
Tail, legs and antenna - Rubber legs
Body - Black chenille - experiment with other colors

The first rubber leg stone fly nymphs in this genre were tied with the rubber from a women’s’ girdle hence the name.

The Rubber legged girdle bug is one of Montana's legendary trout flies. Like so many flies I prefer these days, this version is simple to tie, and is very durable. It was designed to imitate large stonefly nymphs, hellgrammites, and craneflies. It was thought to have been first used by the local anglers on the Big Hole River. Lost in the murky currents of time however is the original name of the girdle bug.

Back in the 1930s and '40s, it was called the "McGinnis rubberlegs," after its creator, Frank McGinnis of Anaconda. The McGinnis clan plied the waters of the Big Hole often enough to call it their "family river." And Frank McGinnis' homely pattern gained fame far and wide for fooling the river's renowned lunker rainbows and browns.

And before you say its a "Pats Rubber Leg"

Notes: Pat's Rubberlegs is also known as Jimmy Legs, Knotty Girls, Restless Stone, The Turd, and The Pickle. "Pat" has been suggested to be a guide, Pat Bennett, that works out of the Hyde shop in Island Park, Idaho but this may be a ruse. Jimmy Legs is a variation from Idylwild Flies in which the legs are pre-knotted and tied on a bent hook, such as a Daiichi 1730. Knotty Girls also have knotted legs but they are usually round rubber material. Restless Stone is another name as marketed by Umpqua. Whatever the name, the pattern works quite well and has become a favorite among guides. The pattern is a variation off an older pattern known as the Girdle Bug. This pattern was developed in the 1930's by Frank McGinnis of Anaconda, MT. He developed this pattern while fishing the Big Hole River. Originally, round rubberlegs was used but a spandex rubber material such as Super Floss, Flex Floss, Life Flex, and Spanflex has become preferred over round rubberlegs. It is much more durable and transparent than rubberleg material and very supple with lifelike movement in the water. Mickey Wooton, a guide out of West Yellowstone, came up with a nice variation of trimming the chenille at the abdomen for a flattened taper and replaced the antennae and tails with Krystalflash and Goose Biots, respectively. Fish Pat's Rubberlegs in the riffles and runs of fast moving water. It also makes a great pattern for short line nymphing. The weight of the pattern allows it to quickly sink into deeps slots and pools. Great with a Beadhead dropper such as a Prince Nymph or Hare's Ear.

Beautiful flies! Do you always use lead-free wire? If so, what kind? I would like to get away from lead.

yes i always use lead free wire

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-round-lead-free-wire?child=TW-000630-0030&utm_source=google_base&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=gbase_feed&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjSPgb9qYWgknRyP1cEFuMCh2QS2E0r8KX0UQNSEQDcPjwx188pedoYaAiqTEALw_wcB&p=1

Mayfly nymphs tied to drift hook upward - one of my go-to flies.

Attachments

• DSCF0883.JPG
    DSCF0883.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 4
nfrechet, a turd by any other name is still a turd.
Dave W, are those tiny lead eyes on your nymphs?

blueheron wrote:
Dave W, are those tiny lead eyes on your nymphs?

No, they're just dots drawn with a magic marker to simulate wing cases.

Bumblepuppy-1080.jpg

Bumblepuppy

Hook – Streamer style
Thread - Black
Tail - Dyed red hackle fibers
Body - White wool or chenille
Ribbing - Red wool or doubled uni stretch
Throat - 2 turns of red and white hackle mixed to make a sparse collar
Wing - White bucktail with the lower half clipped short and the top half extending slightly beyond tail
Over wing - Matched brown turkey tail feather sections extending to beginning of tail

Just one of many versions of this fly

That Pat's Rubber leg story is awesome.

Tied up a bunch of Euro style nymphs for a friend in Colorado that sent me a reel. I hope he likes them.

https://imgur.com/a/OHzW2SN

Order for Dette Fly Shop in NY

Attachments

• wedge head 1.JPG
    wedge head 1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Jukes 1.JPG
    Jukes 1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-2714.jpg
    IMG-2714.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 4