koL5Mpe.jpg

Matt's Midge

Hook - Dry fly style
Thread - Black
Body - Black thread
Wing - White z-lon
Hackle - Grizzly

Tie this pattern in different colors

Matt’s Midge is named for its originator, Matt Miles of Colorado.

STONEMAN wrote:
Love that stick caddis. Recipe?

sorry for the late response

hook
thread
foam head
wire ribbing
turkey tail feather fibers

NewSal wrote:
no_name.jpg
[/url][/img]

Now when you cast that and the fly lands how does it ride? Every time I seem to have a fly like that it ends up on its side. The hook point doesn't ever want to sink down in the water on small flies like that. Is there a trick to getting them to land correctly on the water?

Emerald shiners. They are the primary forage fish for Lake Erie steelhead. There are tons of them in the streams.

Attachments

• DSC01899 (500x281).jpg
    DSC01899 (500x281).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01907 (500x335).jpg
    DSC01907 (500x335).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
3vKyXd3.jpg

Czech Nymph

Hook - Curved style; any size
Thread - Any color
Ribbing - Fine wire; any color
Shellback - Magic foil or equivalent
Body - Light colored dubbing
Thorax - Dark colored dubbing

Optional - Anal gills and antenna

Google search for a variety of patterns

nfrechet wrote:
3vKyXd3.jpg

Czech Nymph

Thread - Any color

OK, so you hit on a sore spot with me. I've been tying caddis larvae for the past how many decades that are (in my humble opinion) better looking than that, and I've seen lots of other larvae flies here in the US that look better than mine. So what is the big deal with "Czech flies"? I'll take the Pepsi Challenge any day. Nothing personal with you, you tie beautiful flies.

7QMt.gif

oh well! show us what you got!

outsider wrote:
nfrechet wrote:
3vKyXd3.jpg

Czech Nymph

Thread - Any color

OK, so you hit on a sore spot with me. I've been tying caddis larvae for the past how many decades that are (in my humble opinion) better looking than that, and I've seen lots of other larvae flies here in the US that look better than mine. So what is the big deal with "Czech flies"? I'll take the Pepsi Challenge any day. Nothing personal with you, you tie beautiful flies.

FYI >

It all began in 1984 on the Dunajec river in Poland, where the flyfishing tournament between teams of Poland (A,B,) GDR and the team of Czechoslovakia was held. The Polish fishermen were fishing a short line technique, which was surprisingly easy. At that time most of them did not have a fly line because they were not readily available. They instead substituted a thick nylon line of about 0.5 mm (5X) in diameter, which they bound to the tip. Mr. Jelenski showed the Czechoslovakia competitors two basic patterns; these were imitations of the caddis larvae. Hydropsyche a body made from natural hare fur and Rhyacophylia which had a green body and green tail. The backs were bound from peacock fibers on both patterns. Straight hooks were used, with a slight bend. In 1985 at the World Championships on the San river, our Czech competitors implemented this new technique they had learned in 1984 and finished second behind the team from Poland.

In 1986 Slavoj Svoboda was in Belgium as a competitor in the Fresh Water Club World Championships in Liege, where he bought a new Daiwa fly fishing rod and won the trophy at the Champion of Czechoslovakia on the Vltava River that summer. As a backing material he was using Grafting Bast. Then a few weeks later he won the famous World trophy on the Ourth River in Belgium. At that time Slavoj was binding the bodies of his patterns from plastic foam, which he got from the sponges used by motorist to clean their cars. Its only disadvantage was its short life span. Another of his proved patterns was the “Carrot”, which he brought from the Orava region in Slovakia and for which he used beige chameleon substitute and strips from a red raincoat. All was ribbed with horsehair. This nymph was also used by the Czech competitors on the San River with wonderful success.

At this period the secret of the short line nymph was only known by some of the best competitors in South Moravia (Svoboda, Klima, Malasek) they won the competition on Vltava River and also won the team event. Their secret of the short line nymph was watched closely by the other competitors from South Bohemia. Between them and lead by Milan Janus they began to experiment in the Competitions an at the Czechoslovak elimination competition on the Jihavka river in 1987. One year later the team from Strakonice (Janus, Ancicka, Seknicka) won the first league competition with this technique on the Malse river. At that time the big emphasis was on the development of the shell back of the fly. They started using the casing from a sausage and later the dried skin of a catfish or eel were. These first fat nymphs were called a “Bobesh” and they were classified to the bug’s category.

Radical changes in the appearance of the nymph were brought about by the use of ultra thin lead wire, which allowed them to really slim down the nymphs. They also started to use a true Grub style hook from Admiral Hook Company which is equivalent today to a Kamasan B100. This new technique was used by the competitors from Roznov (Karafiat, Machacek, Barton) who were very successful with these patterns. The next improvement was the use of thin rubber on the back of the nymph which added durability, transparency and ease of tying. Rubber strips cut from surgical gloves were first used and later they used prepared vinyl strips in different colors. Special plastic foil backs were the next innovation, with natural colors, bright colors and even some with a pearlescence appearance.

Next, the Hares Ear fur, especially super colorful variations were used. Seals fur prompted a new innovation with its long fibers, made the nymphs look alive. Original monotonously colored bodies were now being improved with brightly colored red, pink and orange spots, commonly referred to as hot spots. One of the first who tied his flies like this was competitor Lukas Pazdernik. The real innovation, the use of super bright colors was brought about by Pavel Machan (European Champion 2002) and also Tomas Starychfojtu. Theses flies were classified as “Crazies”

Trips by the Czech competitors abroad, enlightened them of new materials available which led to more durable, colorful flies which to this day are still favorites in any Czech nympher’s fly box. Patterns were now being tied with Ice Dubbing which gave the fly a lot more flash, Scud Back material which stretches super easy and is incredibly durable and tungsten beads in a variety of colors which made the flies super heavy while maintaining a super slim profile.

Remarkable improvements in these flies required innovations in the hooks themselves. Nowadays, most of the hooks you by are chemically sharpened, which was not the case in the late 80’s. Hooks from companies like Hayabusa, Kamasan, Knapek, Mustad, Skalka, Tiemco and VMC are all chemically sharpened. This makes the hook hold a point longer which is a must for flies that are constantly in contact with the river bottom. International Competition rules require barbless hooks and that has given companies like Knapek and Skalka a competitive edge in the market with their complete line of barbless, needle sharp hooks. The latest craze is hooks with lead weight molded right on the shank. This will save time at the vice since you do not have to add lead wire or strips, prep the underbody and then begin to tie the fly. You will need to prep the lead (roughen up the surface) so the thread will catch, but that is easily done with a pair of pliers or a razor blade. Once you have completed the fly, you can then flatten the body with a pair of pliers to the shape you desire.

Link to source: All about Czech Nymphing

The chicken or the egg??? The fly or the jig.??......

0GMixXj.jpg

magic midge

hXDKpbM.jpg

bird's caddis

kyqKlZQ.jpg

nfrechet: beautiful ties as always.

#297 & #299: The Formal Green Weenie, 1.0 & 2.0? ;)

That was a "tie in" to the weenie thread (see what I did there?).

Stonecats, a big ole stonefly...and worms!

Attachments

• stonecats.JPG
    stonecats.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Stonefly.JPG
    Stonefly.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Worms!.JPG
    Worms!.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 1
Very nice! Are those dove feathers used for the stone cat tail?

sLzgP4S.jpg

Orleans Barber

Hook - Salmon/steelhead style
Thread - Black
Tail - Wood duck flank; black, white, black tip
Body - Red chenille
Hackle - Grizzly

Reference - Steelhead Fly Fishing & Flies - Trey Combs

Tying a few black, jig-head, Wooly Buggers. Needed to restock the box.

My version of Peg's Midge size 22

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back