>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish my comparaduns looked that good. Nice tie.

GenCon wrote:
Nice flys guys. JT I really like those large stimmies.

GenCon

Thanks Mike, Not that large though...size 14

I'd swap for some of John's CDC comparaduns. :>

John could you provide some tips for making your comparadun tails come out looking that good. I spend 15 minutes trying to get my tails to look presentable and they still look pretty aweful.

Thanks, guys.

As far as the tails go. Two tails are fairly easy by just splitting them with the tag end left long after tying your jam knot and laying a base of thread. Three can be a bit more challenging. The most important part is making sure all three are laying side by side on top of the hook shank. Sometimes one tight wrap under the tail will splay them nicely. Other times you may need to make a wrap of thread in between each of them to keep them seperated. I use fairly thin thread so wrapping in between the tail fibers isn't usually a problem.

I tied 20 of these tonight in two different olive colors. I cant really get the tails just right like dc's. I tried micro-fibbits, but i settled on cdl. My eyes started crossing so i quit. This was the best out of the bunch.

Im gonna try tomorrow with 18 or bigger and maybey I'll have better luck.

Attachments

• olive_comparadun.jpg
    olive_comparadun.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 4
Jimbot wrote:
I tied 20 of these tonight in two different olive colors. I cant really get the tails just right like dc's. I tried micro-fibbits, but i settled on cdl. My eyes started crossing so i quit. This was the best out of the bunch.

Im gonna try tomorrow with 18 or bigger and maybey I'll have better luck.

Sounds similar to what I experienced with the micro-fibbits. I conceded and tied sparkle duns for awhile.

Working on my dry fly skills last night. Here is the best of the bunch of rough water caddis.

2a968cnAKwmXNlcKaDgXqjEmVq0KjTBNa06QhmB03Vuy-T4tIJa_X6hjJIPaudCpWYqavcFI2wjVdzNsDIUlewUuUb_maZBSU-wP-auHq83kqrTkxgwhw0JCnvY92y7bUIgRv8TsYnJcyga7bUXm_FxmmaGuJlFcJOHO6zj9O7pis1FLHX2eMoz5YIv4WbxqpwhERBmLa5Qx7-ayX83VovY6gveCvfAGhB2TToO6R9GI7PhOcPZUlhGwE_2VL6-KNA18zw_ehDyszw2YKWpdLQaBLg1sicTsZQviPYXOj_g4fmjG2TYSxWEdvMPLqnjcwjroB_xiD_kFZKTJ6RiR2cafvhamYCSwJzOjpM18jXgOqb1PqnNKXiCYky3ObQhf73zLrOxSN2iXYn4wwOFvmt6j5DMwIr1N2MjTV5uyo1j8KujA5HMGKiv3DVgEqtkzuiHALoNOcLk87OikSOh5Z_nPgtyAhf1oMY1yku7ribfOy0H4SifKyO_eKcYbcemAvFfHT6Z9Y9n1ClUKMK12ZOZ1uVmHVnI43AZCtZ1bLhXCLE3yYVUeS601XgFFbMqpu_lqFXBjr9Go-svvXoezkmG4y_T3iufeeMsEJKIaUUNfQm-3ALlq=w1439-h950-no

nomad_archer wrote:
Working on my dry fly skills last night. Here is the best of the bunch of rough water caddis.

2a968cnAKwmXNlcKaDgXqjEmVq0KjTBNa06QhmB03Vuy-T4tIJa_X6hjJIPaudCpWYqavcFI2wjVdzNsDIUlewUuUb_maZBSU-wP-auHq83kqrTkxgwhw0JCnvY92y7bUIgRv8TsYnJcyga7bUXm_FxmmaGuJlFcJOHO6zj9O7pis1FLHX2eMoz5YIv4WbxqpwhERBmLa5Qx7-ayX83VovY6gveCvfAGhB2TToO6R9GI7PhOcPZUlhGwE_2VL6-KNA18zw_ehDyszw2YKWpdLQaBLg1sicTsZQviPYXOj_g4fmjG2TYSxWEdvMPLqnjcwjroB_xiD_kFZKTJ6RiR2cafvhamYCSwJzOjpM18jXgOqb1PqnNKXiCYky3ObQhf73zLrOxSN2iXYn4wwOFvmt6j5DMwIr1N2MjTV5uyo1j8KujA5HMGKiv3DVgEqtkzuiHALoNOcLk87OikSOh5Z_nPgtyAhf1oMY1yku7ribfOy0H4SifKyO_eKcYbcemAvFfHT6Z9Y9n1ClUKMK12ZOZ1uVmHVnI43AZCtZ1bLhXCLE3yYVUeS601XgFFbMqpu_lqFXBjr9Go-svvXoezkmG4y_T3iufeeMsEJKIaUUNfQm-3ALlq=w1439-h950-no

Nice fly Trevor.

Jim those comparaduns look awesome too. Getting antsy for this weekend so I can start tying! Though I tied my shoes this AM.....does that count? :lol:

i dont think it does...unless you used as wip finish tool. Also I am completely frustrated by the tails of my comparaduns, and I'm on board with sparkle dun's. Just like Nomad said.

Ps. nice rough water caddis man! killing it.

Jimbot wrote:
i dont think it does...unless you used as wip finish tool. Also I am completely frustrated by the tails of my comparaduns, and I'm on board with sparkle dun's. Just like Nomad said.

Ps. nice rough water caddis man! killing it.

Thanks! Tying has be come a fantastic stress reliever for me. I typically tie for an hour or two each night before bed. Its nice and relaxing unless I am trying to deal with comparadun tails. By the way you comparadun looked great. Perfect taper nice wing.

Cranked out a dark Adams Stimulator, size 12.

You're knocking out some nice ties, Trevor!

Attachments

• Dark Adams Stimulator.JPG
    Dark Adams Stimulator.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 2
Man where did you dig up that pattern i love it. Recipe? Link?

John, nice tie. I like that colors on that stimulator.

Jimbot wrote:
Man where did you dig up that pattern i love it. Recipe? Link?

No link. I just dreamed that one up at the vise today. Just gave it a name for the post and pic. Stimmies are fun to tie and you can let your imagine go and some of them really take on a different look. That's a part of flytying that I really enjoy.

This one is just a dark tone of deer body hair, light gray fine and dry dubbing for body, black hackle over body, grizzly hackle over thorax, and I used muskrat dubbing for a darker tone of gray dubbing on the thorax although you can't even see it because it is hackled so heavy. Good fly to use with a dry/dropper set up in faster water.

dc410 wrote:
Cranked out a dark Adams Stimulator, size 12.

You're knocking out some nice ties, Trevor!

Really like that one...alot!

I should be more inspired to tie after viewing all the great stuff on here...still having difficulty getting motivated.
Did tie some slumpbusters with some micro pine squirrel strips and can't wait to give them a try when the weather breaks...bet my local pickerel and perch might fall for them.
Trouble is, its like a boat for some people...always got to get a bigger one.
Now I want more/different hooks, cone heads, colors and sizes of strips etc etc etc!!!
Saw a video where the guy used a dubbing loop to tie on the collar fur instead of wrapping the strip....so many ways to skin a cat (squirrel, rabbit, on and on)

white miller

mjsl15.jpg

Made this vid last night....finished editing tonight. With a lot of insight from our members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkOOwkVxnfw

Please be gentle. Im a noob.

Nfrechet

That fly is a whole nother level man..... nice pic.

Show me.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back