>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
RCFetter wrote:
DJ, they really look nice.

DJ, yes they do look pretty good. The bodies look fine. Yes you could taper a bit more. But they would work just fine. Hard to tell from the pic. But it looks like the tails are a bit short. Having the tail be a bit longer will help the fly sit better in the water. A rule of thumb I use.
When you sit your fly on a table. It should touch at 3 points.
Hackle, hook then tail.
I usually make the tail at least as long as the hook shank.

GenCon

Dj I can def. Tell you've spent time on the vise. Your ties are starting to look great

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the kind comments and gentle critique. A couple of long days at work with additional time spent on work things at home are limiting my time at the bench, but I did want to try again.

I think these came out a little better. Need to be able to spend a little more time at the bench.

Attachments

• DSC_0268.JPG
    DSC_0268.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 2
finished up my early season nymph box. hendricksons, quill gordons, blue quills, green caddis, small black stones and I tied a half dozen PT's to fill out the box

DSC_0008_zpsy97goxbj.jpg

Thought I would try mixing some white and Olive. The tail may have gotten a bit out of control :)
20150401_084933_zpsfjymhhzf.jpg

Topping off some slots in the midge box and a caddis pupa.

Attachments

• DSCF1259.JPG
    DSCF1259.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF1273.JPG
    DSCF1273.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1278.JPG
    DSCF1278.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF1264.JPG
    DSCF1264.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1268.JPG
    DSCF1268.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 2
Nothin' pretty just starting to turn out some different colors of stoneflies. And an assortment of worms /snail patterns that seem to work.

Attachments

• 2015-04-02 00.17.01.jpg
    2015-04-02 00.17.01.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2015-04-02 00.21.53.jpg
    2015-04-02 00.21.53.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2015-04-02 00.54.12.jpg
    2015-04-02 00.54.12.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 2
Been tying spinners.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice flys guys. I have not been able to tie since the newbie jam.
Maybe this weekend.

GenCon

little%20gray%20may_zpscgo30r0q.jpg

Some big, chunky, articulated, trout streamers. . .

Attachments

• Fl10.jpg
    Fl10.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
Fishidiot wrote:
Some big, chunky, articulated, trout streamers. . .

Nice ties. FI. You know I almost never have tried orange. I should.

GenCon

Thanks folks.

I like contrasting colors on double streamers: black goes well with orange or chartreuse. Dark brown or dark green goes well with yellow, pink, or tan.

Messing around with hotspots on a dark olive nymph. Still a novice, so feedback and criticism is welcome.

Gencon, all whip finished tied by hand, thanks for the tips and practice at the newbie jam!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 3
laurelrun wrote:
Messing around with hotspots on a dark olive nymph. Still a novice, so feedback and criticism is welcome.

Gencon, all whip finished tied by hand, thanks for the tips and practice at the newbie jam!

Laurel, you are very welcome. It is alot of fun for me helping out and seeing what was then produced. Keep up the good work.

GenCon

Laurel,

Those are some real good buggy looking nymphs. Did you use a dubbing loop or split thread technique to get that look? I love that spikey look on the thorax area of a nymph. Nice job!

Thanks, guys. GenCon showed me a nice CDC caddis that he dubbed very loosely. So I tried to replicate that look. These were the last of about half a dozen. So by the time I had done a few they looked much buggier.

Dcap240 wrote:
Topping off some slots in the midge box and a caddis pupa.

Very nice looking (well tied) midge patterns.
I'm gonna try that deer hair winged midge this year. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back