Wet wading/neorpene socks - Suggestions?

steveo27

steveo27

Im looking for a pair of wading / neoprene socks.

I typically just wear wool socks and wading boots when I wet wade. But after hiking a few miles today, I finally developed a nice size blister on my ankle.

Its time to upgrade to a pair of neoprene wading socks I think. Im hoping they fill the boot out enough to stop the rubbing around the ankles.

I was looking at a few different pairs. Im not sure If i want ones with gravel guards or not though. Id imagine the guards will come in handy.

Orvis sells a pair with guards for 30$. Simm's sells a pair with guards for 40$ and an pair without for 25$.

Can anyone offer any input? I would like to purchase a pair before next weekends outing, especially if the weather is going to stay too hot to wear waders.

Cheers.

I use the Simms with gravel guards for wet wading in the summer. I have a pair of Simms neoprene socks without gravel guards that I use when fishing the salt. I wear Simms wet wading socks under both. I've hiked miles without issues and they fill out my boots quite well.

Simms wading socks with gravel guard without a doubt. I have used them all summer in a variety of conditions. I spent a whole weekend trekking around Tuscarora state forest without any issues. They are really thick and act almost like a good insole. Super comfortable.

Simms guard socks is my vote. They fold down over your laces and keep out the pebbles. When the water is colder than you expected, you can wear them up for some added insulation. Have had the same pair for 11 years!

What do the gravel guard socks do that rolling the sock down over the top of the boot doesn't? The boot tongue is one piece so what's the need to cover the laces? I have never bought a pair with gravel guards because it seems gimmicky. Am I missing something.

When I buy wading socks I look for sock thickness relative to the void in my boots.

A good tip for using any Neo wet wading sock is wear a thin pair of nylon socks over your bare feet. They don't hold water, they protect your feet from blisters, and feel they better against your skin. No special socks needed, any cheap Wally World type nylon sock will do, and the thinner the better.

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger on the Simm's ones.

Ill have to pick up some nylon socks.

had the Simms - they did have gravel guard which I guess helped. They were pretty comfortable.

After about 5 years I wore holes through the bottom. I thought they performed well. Hard to get off.

More recently bought cabelas wading socks in medium- good sug fit but a bear getting on and off. They were really snug so I never bother fillip ping the gravel guard down- never had a gravel problem tho. I recently put a nice sized rip along a seam from pulling too hard getting on. Maybe should have gotten a large. ( there are also wild rainbows in the Laural Highlands). Hee

I just use cotton ankle high socks for more cushion.

Simms probably worth $15 extra in my case.

Gravel Guards have always been most useful to me as lace guards. Without them, I have to tie my boots periodically, and without them, I cannot recall any gravel infiltration issues.

afishinado wrote:
A good tip for using any Neo wet wading sock is wear a thin pair of nylon socks over your bare feet. /quote]

Does nylon help in getting the neoprene socks on and off?

RCFetter wrote:
afishinado wrote:
A good tip for using any Neo wet wading sock is wear a thin pair of nylon socks over your bare feet. /quote]

Does nylon help in getting the neoprene socks on and off?

^ yep....that too, Bob.

And they're styish, too.....shop > HERE

I have a pair of the Orvis neoprene socks... PLUS I wear regular socks under for added padding. Very comfortable. I've trekked miles on brookie streams in the LH myself without any issues. :)

If you have a pair of stockingfoot waders that you have given up on cut off the booties and use them. Plus you"ll have a decent pair of rain pants.

Got a chance to wear them for a few hours Sunday while hiking a little blue line down near Ohiopyle. 100% satisfied.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Back