Weekly Fly Tying Night in SE PA

B

Bogey

Hey guys,
No worries if there is no interest in this, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I don't play poker and I would rather tie flies with a beer then go out to a bar for a few hours. I have an excruciating bed time routine with two toddlers and a night off would be great (my wife takes off on Thursdays for yoga).

So, any interest in meeting up with beers and fly tying materials and tying some flies? Exton, Downingtown, WC or surrounding areas.

Good luck Bogey. It is always a great time tying flies and having a beer with a group.

I have a group show up once a month on a night that the brewery is slow. 5 to 7 people have been showing up.

Thanks Jerry, I would love to attend those but Doylestown is a bit of a hike on a weeknight. I probably should have said bi-weekly or monthly rather than weekly.

i also have trouble making it to Jerry's gig, but since i'm driving from DE every day i could prob stop in Exton for a bit to banter and fly tying.

Wish I was closer...I might be able to make an occasional event...

I don't know how regularly I could make it, my schedule is a bit erratic. But, I'm watching with interest to see if you get anything going in the hope I could join in some times. No reason tying should be a solitary endeavor. I'd be excited to something in the SE area come together since a lot of the other gatherings seem to be just far enough away that they are impractical.

interested, living in coatesville so not too much of a haul. have a similar bed time routine... i feel your pain.

I'm interested in this. Wilmington, DE here so Exton area isn't too bad of a drive. Any night of the week is good for me except Thursday. And I vote for a monthly get together.

Interested, I am in East Fallowfield (work in Exton right on Valley Creek). Fortunately my kids are grown and on their own so any night works. A cool place to do it would be at The Righteous Tap House on Shadyside Road outside Downingtown. They have a pretty cool table to tie on if you can get it.

Righteous Tap House

Teh_Fly wrote:
Interested, I am in East Fallowfield (work in Exton right on Valley Creek). Fortunately my kids are grown and on their own so any night works. A cool place to do it would be at The Righteous Tap House on Shadyside Road outside Downingtown. They have a pretty cool table to tie on if you can get it.

Righteous Tap House

From experience of running one in Doylestown

Contact the owner/manager and talk to them and find a night that is dead.

I worked with the Doylestown Brewing Co and got the 4th Tuesday of the month. The bartenders and servers look forward to our meeting. Doesn't hurt to give a great tip.

We even get our own room. We bring our lamps and extension cords. Food is great and so is the beer. The patrons stop by and they even want to find out how to learn. HINT for all you fly fishing clubs to get new members.

Good Luck and hope you get this going. I post when we meet here and on Facebook. Look for Jerrys Fly Tying Tips or the Fly Tying Group also to see photos.

This is pretty cool to see all the interest. I imagine if we actually get it established more guys will hop on board also. It seems like there are a lot more guys in the area from reading in all of the forums.

Teh_Fly- I have never been to the Righteous Tap House but it definitely sounds like a cool venue. I live pretty close to Victory and can give them a call, but I'm not getting my hopes up as it seems they never have a slow night...will think of other places also.

The Sporting Gentleman fly shop are having a fly tying night at 2SP brewing Company (120 Concord Rd, Ashton Pa.), on wednesdays from Jan 17 until . Feb 7. Starts at 7pm - why not swing by there and see how that is. I'll be going to at least one night as its on my way home from work.

Bogey wrote:
This is pretty cool to see all the interest. I imagine if we actually get it established more guys will hop on board also. It seems like there are a lot more guys in the area from reading in all of the forums.

Teh_Fly- I have never been to the Righteous Tap House but it definitely sounds like a cool venue. I live pretty close to Victory and can give them a call, but I'm not getting my hopes up as it seems they never have a slow night...will think of other places also.

I like to tie flies.

I like to drink beer.

Win/win!

I live 20 minutes away the Righteous TR, and never knew it existed. It looks like a good place.

I go to Four Dogs all the time right down the road, but that's more of a restaurant and gets very crowded.

I agree that Victory may be a too busy, even during the week, and they would probably require reservations.

If someone can get a thumbs up from a venue, just pick a date and time and see what happens.

No doubt, anything the Bucks County or Delco guys can do.....Chester County guys can do better!

Attachments

• We are ChestCo!.jpg
    We are ChestCo!.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the info Jerry.

Bogey,

Yeah Victory could be tough, but the one in Parkesburg has lots of room upstairs that I've never seen near capacity on a week night. But that may be too far out to the west. Righteous only has one large open room inside so that may not work so well based on what Jerry said.

I have a friend who is rep for Great Lakes Brewery and knows of many more possibilities than I do; so I asked him to recommend a few places in the areas mentioned. I will let you know what he has to say and we can go from there.

Jerry

afishinado wrote:
I like to tie flies.

I like to drink beer.

Win/win!

I live 20 minutes away the Righteous TR, and never knew it existed. It looks like a good place.

I go to Four Dogs all the time right down the road, but that's more of a restaurant and gets very crowded.

I agree that Victory may be a too busy, even during the week, and they would probably require reservations.

If someone can get a thumbs up from a venue, just pick a date and time and see what happens.

No doubt, anything the Bucks County or Delco guys can do.....Chester County guys can do better!

Challenge accepted Tweed

Sporting Gentleman & 2SP Brewing Company
Fly tying Wednesday Nights from Jan 17- Feb 7 2018
7 pm – 9pm at 2SP Brewing Company
Tasting Room & Brewery

http://www.2spbrewing.com/

Fredrick wrote:
afishinado wrote:
I like to tie flies.

I like to drink beer.

Win/win!

Challenge accepted Tweed

Sporting Gentleman & 2SP Brewing Company
Fly tying Wednesday Nights from Jan 17- Feb 7 2018
7 pm – 9pm at 2SP Brewing Company
Tasting Room & Brewery

http://www.2spbrewing.com/

No one wants to tie in the hood.... :-o

Hardly the hood that whole area for about a half mile is industrial complexes . And its in Aston and 1/10 of a mile from Sunvalley High school . The sporting gentleman would of not promoted the tying nights if they felt the area was unsafe.

2sp bing maps

Fredrick wrote:
Hardly the hood that whole area for about a half mile is industrial complexes . And its in Aston and 1/10 of a mile from Sunvalley High school . The sporting gentleman would of not promoted the tying nights if they felt the area was unsafe.

2sp bing maps

Everything east of Rt 202 is considered the hood by the Elite FFers of Chester County !!!

:lol: have a great tying nite.....

Attachments

• Elite FFers of Chester County.jpg
    Elite FFers of Chester County.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 5
afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
2sp bing maps
Everything east of Rt 202 is considered the hood by the Elite FFers of Chester County !!!

:lol: have a great tying nite.....

HAHA Our waters may not be all that nice, but our beer is yummier our flies are prettier and our fish are bigger,meaner and allot more uglier . :lol:

Attachments

• DELCO's Finest.jpg
    DELCO's Finest.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 4
OK folks I checked out some places and came up with two that would suit us and they would be happy to have us. My first thought was West Chester, but parking is an issue and it's costly too; so I went to places that had parking readily available.

One is the World of Beer in Exton at the Main Street complex and the other is Victory Brewing in Downingtown. They both were enthusiastic to accommodate us and they have plenty of room. All we have to do is pick one and a day of the week. They asked if we could notify them a few days in advance and how many may be coming.

So are we ready to choose one and a early in the week night?

Teh_Fly

Back