Weedless Streamers for the Leafy Season

F

Fishidiot

With the current heavy leaf fall (still a few days in the future down here in SCPA) now underway or past peak across much of PA, many anglers regard this event as unfishable. As one who loves to hit bigger streams and rivers in the fall for both bass and trout, I can't justify skipping out. A pretty good solution is to fish streamers with weed guards. Also, in my experience, the heavy leaf debris tends to be higher in the water column, a heavy streamer or sink tip really helps too allowing you to get under the junk. However a good weed guard allows you to fish through much of the mess.

I like loop style mono guards tied in at the eye. The example below shows a big articulated streamer with double hooks. In my experience, if you have a mono weed guard at the front, it does a pretty good job of covering both hooks so I usually use just one weed guard. Note in the top photo how the guard should be tied in: angled back and tied loop style - leave enough space at the eye to get a solid thread knot and a few turns behind the loop can adjust the angle at which it is raked back. Don't make the loop too large or it may snag the point of the hook when a fish strikes and impede hook ups. Take some time as you cut and measure the weed guard to ensure you have the most coverage without hitting the hook point - obviously, longer shank hooks allow for bigger weed guards. I like cheapo 30 lb mono for these weed guards. The upper photo however, is just for clarity. You will tie the mono guard after the fly is completed. The lower photo shows the completed fly with weed guard.

This set-up works pretty well in streams clogged with leaves .

Attachments

• Y3.jpg
    Y3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 15
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5
Back