We need rain!

No salmon spotted in Susky yet but the bears have started to gather in the narrows. LOL.

Boy, radar this morning looks pretty hostile from state college to NY border. Appears they are getting hammered this morning and the rest of us will get it this afternoon.

Actually, old fishing literature refers to the Susquehanna Salmon (AKA walleye). So he could mean PA ;-)

Alaska. Sockeyes, trout, halibut and rockfish. Buddys coming up from tn. Sockeye runs are good this year!

I'm not planning to be back to pa till likely next year.

Smoke in the interior is beyond thick!

See what's coming tomorrow? Someone let mother nature know we a good for a while. I expect to kick a deer out when I finally get a chance to cut my yard. Haven't had many chances to fish but every single time I get a free day....blown out. Can't even get out on the Susky. Maybe I'll learn how to scrapbook. LOL.

salmonoid wrote:
Actually, old fishing literature refers to the Susquehanna Salmon (AKA walleye). So he could mean PA ;-)

Susquehanna Salmon are referred to in old literature, but were not originally Walleyes, I doubt anyone living really knows for sure what species that references, but I'd make a calculated guess that they were American Shad, since the literature is pre 1850 when there were no walleyes in the Susquehanna. There can only be one other possibility, they were referring to trout that moved into and out of the river seasonally.

krayfish2 wrote:
Well, where does everyone stand on this topic? I look at the radar several times a day. It looks as though most sections of the state got a share of the storms from the past 2-3 weeks.

Around me, the creeks look to be doing pretty well. Improvement over the mid May flows. I've been looking to float the Susky but it's just keeps rising.

Pretty good rains last night and tropical storm Bob is to roll through Saturday evening dropping 2" - 5" of rain (depending on your location). Ponds and lakes are getting filled back up, aquifers are getting replenished.

I thought we'd be talking about fish kill at this point but mother nature has been fairly kind this month. Hope she keeps it going.
The Allentown monthly weather report says we've received 6.06 inches of rain so far this month.
It's Bill not Bob. I know you didn't start the Bob stuff, but someone has to correct it.

Dry in May with high temperatures is very bad for trout, it doesn't matter what happens in August if they die in May. Anyway the rain switch can be dialed back some now, we've had enough and it was probably just in time.

Chaz wrote:
Dry in May with high temperatures is very bad for trout.

True - but it's good for bass.

It helps 'em with spawning and rapid growth. . . so they can grow up and eat native trouts. :cool:

Kray - Was it harder to get the dog or the mayfly to sit still?

Ask and you shall receive. After this weekend's rain we should be good to go for a while.

Cold rain coming down here in south-central. The rain gage in my backyard is reading about 1.5" right now.

We had 2.5" so far here today and looks like the heavy stuff is finished. This now puts us at about 12.5" so far for the month which is the most rain on record for June. Even beats 72' with Agnes. For the most part the rain was spread out pretty evenly over the whole month.

Finished with 3.5" today.

Local creeks are in the trees and several park roads near my home are closed due to high water.

Yep, I guess we need to be careful what we wish for! lol It looks like many/most streams will have to wait a day or two (maybe more) to be fishable. This cold rain also dropped stream temps a LOT.

nearly drowned

Probably not this board but I believe most people do not give the respect that water can command.

Guy went swimming in a lake (swimming is prohibited) at the park I work here in Idaho 2 days ago. He drowned. Helicopter spotted his body 75 yards from where his shoes and glasses were found. Here for family reunion- terrible.

Swattie,
Harder to get the hex to sit still. The dog listens well unless other people are around. ADHD things with him.

DaveS sent text and photo from the Yough this weekend. Laurel hill was around 4000 cfs and the Cawselman was around 14,000 cfs !! Yikes. Hope they didn't let ww rafters out in that crap. The outfitters would have to issue a paddle, helmet and a body bag to each customer.

It's too low, we need water! No, wait, now it's too high!

And while the status quo has flipped, the truth is that it's still almost meaningless. What matters is what happens from mid-July through early September.

In May and June, go fishing, and watching water levels in regards to fishability is fine. But in regards of worrying about the trout, it's just too early. It was too early when it was low. And it's still too early now that it's high.

Like I said, watching water levels in regards to how well it will fish is fine. i.e. it's too high or too low to fish at it's best.

I was speaking specifically to the original concern of low flows leading to warm summertime water temps and resulting low survival rates. When the fear was posted, it was WAY too early to be concerned over. And today, well, it's still on the early side to say "all is well".

I'm probably going to check out the Lehigh on Wednesday, adjacent to Hickory Run State Park...any clues on how it will fish since the rain? I never have any luck on it and I really want to catch something this time.

Back