We need rain!

Things aren't looking up...

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/dry-spring-could-lead-to-dry-summer-in-lancaster-county/article_53005ff2-fb3c-11e4-a2a8-63e74f946289.html

Raining a lot today here in lancaster!

We must have had a huge downpour yesterday afternoon. When I got home, there was a stream crossing my back yard that rivaled the one at the CG at last years Jam.

NWPA probably got it as well.

I think the rain we've been missing for the last 6 weeks arrived here and was deposited in a 45 minute span. I'm not sure I've seen it rain that hard for that long. Spacing it out a little would have been nice.

I was away from home over the weekend but the rain gauge said we received 2.17 inches of rain. Our garden and newly planted flower bed was washed out and in talking with our neighbor yesterday, that rain fell in just 30 minutes on Saturday. We picked up another 0.66 inches last evening and overnight, but it definitely looked a lot heavier on the radar around Harrisburg.

salmonoid wrote:
I was away from home over the weekend but the rain gauge said we received 2.17 inches of rain. Our garden and newly planted flower bed was washed out and in talking with our neighbor yesterday, that rain fell in just 30 minutes on Saturday. We picked up another 0.66 inches last evening and overnight, but it definitely looked a lot heavier on the radar around Harrisburg.

Yeah I must live fairly close to you because we had a deluge over my way on Saturday evening that I guarantee filled your rain gauge. Every little bit helps but I don't think anything that came down in the last day or two had an appreciable effect on local streams. At least we have another cool down over the next 4 - 5 days.

McSneek wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

Yeah I must live fairly close to you because we had a deluge over my way on Saturday evening that I guarantee filled your rain gauge. Every little bit helps but I don't think anything that came down in the last day or two had an appreciable effect on local streams. At least we have another cool down over the next 4 - 5 days.

It helped put a tiny bit of moisture back in the ground, but most of it ran off, carrying sediment with it. Stream gauges showed a spike but quickly fell back to a baseline level. Yoyo weather for sure. I am headed to ANF for a long Memorial Day weekend and the high on Wednesday is forecast for 56! Chance of frost Friday night with a low of 35. Brookies should still be looking up, though.

Well, where does everyone stand on this topic? I look at the radar several times a day. It looks as though most sections of the state got a share of the storms from the past 2-3 weeks.

Around me, the creeks look to be doing pretty well. Improvement over the mid May flows. I've been looking to float the Susky but it's just keeps rising.

Pretty good rains last night and tropical storm Bob is to roll through Saturday evening dropping 2" - 5" of rain (depending on your location). Ponds and lakes are getting filled back up, aquifers are getting replenished.

I thought we'd be talking about fish kill at this point but mother nature has been fairly kind this month. Hope she keeps it going.

Considering the coming weekend and Bob, I'm more concerned about catastrophic flooding than about low water levels and warm temps.

Guys, it's late spring/early summer. Regarding survivability of summer on trout streams it's LATE summer that matters. Getting all worked up about it now is pointless.

Limestoners will be fine, they are effected by rainfall over several months and we've had enough rain.

On freestoners, it's the weather (temp and rainfall) in late July and August that matters, and none of us has any clue what's in store.

What's this "Bob" stuff you guys are talking about?

I though it was "Bill".......

Maybe it is Bill. I just knew there was the remnants of a tropical storm coming through this weekend and copied kray.

Bill, Bob or whatever this guys name is. LOL. Just looked at national maps and we are to get 1-2" in the Keystone State. Not too bad. I doubt that will even cause minor flooding of smaller streams / creeks.

Yes Pat, rain in July and August is needed to keep the freestoners flowing. Why not start now and keep it rolling all summer?

I'll use the Delaware EB gauge at Fishes Eddy as a marker since that river is up & down dramatically from Beaverkill input. I was up 4 1/2 weeks ago and the flow was 400 cfs with a temp or 70. Today it's around 1400 cfs with a temp of 58. I'm sure Pine, Loyalsock, Fishing in Benton and others have benefited from the recent storms / stationary front that's been over us from time to time. Keep it coming every 2-4 days and it may end up being a decent summer on waters that typically get too warm.

My back yard rain gage reveals about 3" of rain here in Gettysburg over the last two days. Local creeks were blown out yesterday.

While many of us are concerned about low, warm conditions on trout streams, another angle to watch is the river bass spawn. Too much high water in May/June tends to put the hurt on SMB YOY. So far, things haven't been too bad on the Susky/Juniata. May was good for bass, but this month could be problematic if this storm trend continues.

It's been raining just about everyday around here for the entire month, so far.
Many storms, trees down, power outages, and some localized flooding.

You really need to quit doing your rain dance now Krayfish.
Enough already!

You can stop the rain dance now.

Yeah, should be good for a while. Drove out fishing creek this morning. Very minimal signs of damage or flooding. The ground water should be in better shape which will keep the spring creeks flowing strong for a while. I saw all kinds of seeps / water running off the mountain still this morning. Another dose in a week or so would be good.

The Mason Dixon line and SW PA did seem to get more over the last 7-10 days. Hopefully there wasn't too much damage from this event.

Yeah, some flooding, storm damage, etc. around NE OH and NW PA but this rain was much needed. Wish some cooler temps came along with it.......but I think we're about where we should be for this time of year water temp wise?

The big waters have been out of commission for a while, which really stinks, but the streamer fishing on the smaller creeks has been fun!

river levels, heck we are burning up!

105 new wildfires stared in under 3 days. over 8000....yes 8 THOUSAND lightning strikes Saturday night through sunday morning.

We just about got cut off on one fire, left a fishing trip before it could happen in another area. Every time it rains somethings burning up!

Salmon runs have been decent to good. Kings were slow for us but the reds have been ground and pound! Its been good ;)! hopefully I can get the rig rolling again here in the next 2 days and be after it again for another week!!!! Sockeyes are pouring in.

after that its plinking time until the bow fishing gets hot mid to late july....you guys don't know what you're missing!

AkDan, is that in Pa. or AK ?

Pretty sure he's talking about PA, haven't you been keeping tabs on the salmon runs of the Susky? ;-)

Back