Waist High or Hip boots?

bassistjon112

bassistjon112

I'm looking to get either but I can't decide. So far money is a issue but I don't want it to hurt me in the long run. I have chest waders but they get really hot and I look really silly(I'm skinny so the waders make look like a clown) not to mention the pain in the a$$ they are to put on and take off.

So what do you guys prefer or suggest. The boots I'm looking at have a $60 dollar difference.

Boot One

Boot Two

Boot Three

Advantage of waist highs: When I fish small streams, I crouch, and with hippers I always end up getting my rear end wet!

Advantage of hippers: Price and they're cooler. Heck, at the waist high prices, you might as well get chest waders that convert easily.

pcray,
i prefer hippers,but you just made a good point maybe i been lucky though i kneel or stoop a bit when i wear these because of lil streams i fish.maybe i 'll look into a pair of waist or pants.
Tight Wraps & Tight lines
Rick Wallace

I have hip boots and waist high waders. Each has it's place. Hip boots are cooler, but the disadvantages are height and the above mentioned getting your butt wet when you kneel.

My wife has Boot One and I have Boot Two. I like the Cabelas waist high better than the Frogg Toggs because they are less restricitve when walking and kneeling. And the Cabelas appear to be more solidly built. Try them on, walk, bend and kneel to see how they fit.

My questions regarding Boot Three are:

Are they breathable? What is the lining? PVC linings are uncomfortable when wearing shorts.

Booyaka

You will get many guys on here saying these are probably your best bet. Lifetime Bean warranty. Best in the business.

I'd go with hippers. The chest waders are easy enough to fold over and use as waist highs.

Wow all great responses. I'm still stuck but not because of price any more. The L.L. Bean waist highs are a great deal, I just gotta think do I want the cooler hip boots or the waist highs that save my butt.

Thanks every one.

How much cooler do hippers make you compared to waist highs? I wear shorts under my waist highs and I don't think I have ever thought to myself "Damn my legs are hot, because of this extra foot of material".

SBecker wrote:
How much cooler do hippers make you compared to waist highs? I wear shorts under my waist highs and I don't think I have ever thought to myself "Damn my legs are hot, because of this extra foot of material".

Big difference to me between lightweight breathable stocking foot hip boots and waist highs.

With hip boots your entire lower body vents, with the exception of your feet. Not to be confused with the old rubber hip boots!

bassistjon112 wrote:
Wow all great responses. I'm still stuck but not because of price any more. The L.L. Bean waist highs are a great deal, I just gotta think do I want the cooler hip boots or the waist highs that save my butt.

Thanks every one.

All I can say is make sure they fit properly: walking, bending, kneeling.

Dear Jon,

I sent you a PM about some waders you may want to take a look at.

As far as the hipper recommendation I made in that PM I'll stand by it here. If you are long legged the Orvis Enduras will be perfect.

I have a 34" inseam and I have to really try to wade deep enough to have water dump over the top of them. They are the first hip waders I have owned in over 40 years of wading where that isn't the case.

If you kneel or crouch you can still get your keister wet, but they will definitely be long enough to keep you dry 99 percent of the time you are fishing.

Good luck!

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks Tim, you're always helpful.

I just got a pair of the LLBean waist-highs last week. Only one outing so far, but I'm loving them.

Oh, and I'm 6'1" with a 33 inch inseam.

Most chest high waders convert to waist high...are the straps 1 male and 1 female end? If so, roll them down and use the sholder straps as a belt.

while I agree sure you can roll them down but for $80 to be comfortable and to have an additional set in the arsenal I would vote for the waist high's. I bought a pair before going to germany as I was trying to pack light and I barely noticed they were in my luggage. I've rolled down my chest waders (the helix) and used the large old man back support wading belt but it's not the same. Also think about that friend that may tag along and doesn't have a pair or when you chest waders fail etc.

Wow so I finally made up my mind and was going to go with the LL bean waist highs that were suggested but they aren't available until September 21! Seriously?! I normally do a lot of my fishing in August so now I'm lost again I guess. Those were a awesome price and they have a great warranty from what I hear.

My chest waders are to hot and I don't want to risk health problems going wet wading so I'm stuck.

try calling a couple of the outlet stores, they may have a pair laying around...

bassistjon112 wrote:
Wow so I finally made up my mind and was going to go with the LL bean waist highs that were suggested but they aren't available until September 21! Seriously?! I normally do a lot of my fishing in August so now I'm lost again I guess. Those were a awesome price and they have a great warranty from what I hear.

My chest waders are to hot and I don't want to risk health problems going wet wading so I'm stuck.

PM sbecker with your size and he can check the Saucon Valley store for ya. They have some in stock in the stores. He may actually be there right now if you call.

They have a ton of them in the store. Atleast they did. Call Center Valley and tell them your size. Sure you can work something out with them.

Back