Waders, shoes, wet socks, etc.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

Almost two years ago, I decided I wanted to learn to fly fish so I went to Cabela's and bought stocking foot waders, shoes, wet socks, etc., etc. I did not know about this forum then nor did I know anyone in this part of the state (SE) who fly fishes. So, I guessed at stuff and figured I'd see how things worked out and change equipment as needed.

Then my hip went bad and then major back surgery. So, I've worn the stuff one time between surgeries for a couple of hours in my local stream because I just had to get out fishing.

I'm feeling well enough again to give it a try and I just tried on everything to see how things feel which brings me to my point.

The stocking foot seems too big. Or, maybe I don't know how to put them into my shoe. I'm a bit limited from the back surgery with putting on shoes which is part of why I was practicing. The foot seems to be too big. I did have a salesperson guide me when I bought stuff. The waders are Dry Plus XL and the boots are a size 11. I wear a 10 shoe. The salesperson told me to get one size larger in the wading boot.

Do I have the correct size boot? Do you wear wet socks with stocking foot waders? Mine are NPS HydroSkin and they fit inside the waders and boot. With the socks and stocking foot boot, it seems like I have too much material in there.

I apologize for what I'm sure are extremely basic questions but if you've never done it or seen it done...

Thank you.

CaptainHook wrote: Do you wear wet socks with stocking foot waders? Mine are NPS HydroSkin and they fit inside the waders and boot. With the socks and stocking foot boot, it seems like I have too much material in there.

Fishing with waders:

No, you do not wear the wet socks with stocking foot waders.

Just put some comfortable socks on your feet.

Then put on your stocking foot waders.

Then put on your wading shoes on over that.

If it still doesn't fit, ask Cabelas if they can help you out. They have a pretty good reputation for fixing up the customer if there's a problem.
------------------------------------------------------------

Wet wading. You don't wear the waders. Your feet and legs get wet. Some people wet wade during warm weather, others don't like wet wading, and never do it.

But if you want to try wet wading in warm weather:

Put on comfortable socks.

Put on the Hydroskin wet socks.

Then put on the wading shoes.

The purpose of the wet socks is to fill out the space in your wading shoes that is occupied by the neoprene foot when wearing waders. So that your wading shoes fit when wet wading, rather being sloppy.

You don't need to wear the neoprene socks inside the waders, since the waders already have neoprene socks built in. That would be a lot of bulk on the foot which would explain why your boots are tight. I wear wool socks year round in my waders. Thin socks in the summer and thicker in the winter. I would save the hydroskins for summer time if you want to wet wade with your wading boots (no waders). Be sure to loosen your boot strings more than you would a normal pair of shoes. Loosen them the whole way down the shoe not just the top. If it's still a problem you might want to go another half size bigger.

The other issue with your wader is Cabelas XL sizing. As the waders go up in size so does the foot size. I see that cabelas XL fits feet 11-13. It's hard to find perfect fitting waders. Most of us settle for some sort of middle ground. Try pulling your waders up so the stocking feet are at your toes, If they are going to bunch up anywhere I'd rather have the heal moving up toward my ankles, rather than bunched at the toes. I hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Yep.

With waders: Regular socks - bootie attached to wader - wading shoe. No wet socks.

Wet wading without waders: Regular socks (or not if you choose) - wet socks - wading shoe. No wader.

Boot sizes vary by manufacturer. Some you want to buy one size larger than you normally wear. Others account for that and you buy your appropriate size. Always good to try on first.

Got it. Thanks for your help. I'll give it another try as soon as I can get out. It looks like a lot of rain forecast for the next few days.

CaptainHook wrote:
Got it. Thanks for your help. I'll give it another try as soon as I can get out. It looks like a lot of rain forecast for the next few days.

Try the waders and wading shoes on at home, to make sure they fit.

Then if they don't fit, you can call Cabelas and maybe go up to the store, and get wading shoes that fit.

Back