UV tools

F

fisherboy3

Looking to step my game up in fly tying. I usually always use scud back for wing cases but Ive heard that UV is the way to go. What do you guys use? Any reccomendations?-Kev

I've had good luck with Solarez thin UV resin. I went with it mostly because it was the cheapest commonly available UV resin. I've also used Loon and Clear Cure goo is on my list of things to try, they are more expensive but seem to have more options when in regard to viscosity and the packaging is better when it comes to applying the stuff. The Loon resin also works well and the one I have is much thinner than the thin Solarez.

I've all but quit using epoxy on flies. The UV resin is just too convenient to justify mixing batches of epoxy, especially since I rarely crank out a bunch of flies that need it at once. With UV I can tie a couple flies and finish them with no hassle and no waste. Also, the UV resin doesn't turn brown or yellow like traditional epoxy. At least Solarez doesn't.

Here's some good reading on the various UV resin products:

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2015/10/uv-resin-shootout.html

As far as uses go, you can use it in place of clear scud back for some flies, but I usually use it as a coating over other materials. It produces a really nice wing case when used over top of strands of crystal flash for instance. The other obvious use is in place of epoxy on streamer heads. The thicker version come in handy for this. Almost any application where epoxy or head cement is used is a potential use for UV resin.

Strange enough though, I've not had good luck coating bare thread with it. It doesn't seem to like waxed thread. It will look good at first then turn white and flake off in short order.

Clear cure goo stays tacky, for me, even after curing. I ask a friend about it and he recomended using Loon. Good luck

Deer Creek is the best uv resin out there. You won't be dissapointed.

crystal uv by silvercreek is the best resin out there

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/tack-free-fast-cure-crystal-uv-cure-resin.97151/

i heard wiping with alcohol helps this.
1manwolfpack wrote:
Clear cure goo stays tacky, for me, even after curing. I ask a friend about it and he recomended using Loon. Good luck

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try

Wiping the tack off with alcohol tends to leave a dull finish. You may need to give it a coat of conventional head cement to bring back a gloss look.

Still a hell of a lot less hassle than epoxy IMO.

coat tacky uv resins with sally hansens

put the coated flies in the sun for an hour or two. no more tack

Get this light you will be extremely happy with it trust me . Cure the flies so fast they make a little .
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xultrafire+uv.TRS0&_nkw=ultrafire+uv&_sacat=0

Fred is correct... he is the second person I have seen using that same light recently. It will practically make the UV epoxies smoke. MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE LIGHT THAT IS RATED 375 NM AND NOT 395 NM. There is a difference... the lower the number the stronger.

I use Loon thin, thick, and flow for different applications and it works well for me. I did have clear cure goo but the application was very messy out of the syringes in my experiences.

I was looking at the loon. They sell a kit with the light and all the uv i would need.

Has anyone ever tried the Tufflye product?

Alright... after you try the LOON UV Epoxy with the standard light make sure you come back here and tell us how much you dislike and how your epoxy is tacky and peels off/bubbles and doesn't fully cure. Been down that road already... trust me.

Nothing wrong with Loon UV Epoxy... but it definitely needs a better light for the kit. Refer to Fredericks post on where to get the light.

I skipped right over the post about it being tacky...screw that. But the loon uv with a different light?

Yeah, get the Ultra Fire UV Light 375 NM. It's stronger... the battery is about the size of a roll of quarters... way better.

So the light really makes a difference? I had an Orvis certificate and finally bought some Bug Bond and the cheap cure light on the website. Haven't had a chance to use it much but it seems to be OK. The Bug Bond is tacky too.

As an aside, I used to work with UV coatings professionally for optical fiber and magnet wire coatings and the light source was incredibly important. We had to check it out with a UV meter frequently (unfortunately UV meters don't have much of a market and the suppliers are always going in and out of the business) I haven't checked out the hand held ones (don't have access to UV meters any more), but I'm not surprised the light makes a big difference.

Other thing that was hugely important was shelf life. These resins can start to cure a little over time, especially once opened. Storing at cool temperatures helps.

What's the battery in that light from eBay. They don't say.

Back