Utah native cutthroats and other south central Rockies natives

Acristickid

Acristickid

Only warmed to 13 so far so might as well write and think about fly fishing.

Made a trip to NM, UT this past fall to fish for native trout. Flew into Albuquerque then headed past Santa Fe to the Sante Fe National Forest. I fished a tributary to the Pecos River. The Pecos River is a very small river , it’s smaller then the Little J for instance but sees lots of use being next to a paved road with public access. It’s your typical small tributary ( just like a typical brookie creek) that got easier the further or high you climbed. Most of the fish I encountered were under 5 inches and these seemingly shy fish wanted to conceal their beauty by becoming unbuttoned regularly. But was able to seal the deal on a Pecos strain Rio Grande cutthroat. Largest spots of all cutthroat mainly at the tail.

After an afternoon of fishing and a long morning of travel I headed out to a hotel in Sante Fe. The next day I headed south on the interstate to the Gila National Forest to try a find it’s namesake fish.

I was able to find lodging at a small lodge that turned out to be perfect, especially the gas and food right across the street. It was a hamlet really with another motel or two- which are homes for Texas hunters during elk season.

This stream was recommended to me by the fish biologist for the Gila trout. It was a beautiful stream in a tight high walled canyon. It was nice in the shade during the hot sunny day. The stream seemed to have a good population of Gilas as I was able to catch many of them. Seem like a rainbow trout with much less coloration.

So in 2 days I caught the 2 fish in New Mexico I was hoping for. Day 3 I drove the entire day north to my next fishing destinations in Utah.

I had 5 days left and did not plan on fishing for all the native cutthroat in Utah but the state has a Cutthroat angling program.

Called the biologist for SE Utah and he was able to give me some streams that would contain the four different cutthroats in Utah. That’s when I decided I would try for Utahs cutthroat slam even though I had caught them before in other states. Being a few days ahead of schedule made this possible but makes for hours of driving and a lot less relaxing but worthwhile.

Catching these four in their native streams is the qualification for the slam.

Bonneville Cutthroat-

Bear River Bonneville strain Cutthroat-

Colorado Cutthroat-

Yellowstone Cutthroat-

Cutthroat fishing is easy. It’s not like some long difficult casts with delicate little mayflies across currents. More of your slap down a big attractor and hope the fishes mouth is big enough to be hooked. The hard is part of these trips is getting just there followed by trying to find the deeper holes in what otherwise are really tiny streams.

The stream the biologist suggested for the Colorado Cutthroat in the Manti Lasal national forest was incredibly tiny and where I crossed the stream on the road was dry. Hope was not having to hike super far to find water. The biologist probably would have directed me to another stream that was larger but this one was not far from where I was and I could continue north on the quest.

After a hour of figuring where the water was and trying to hook these small fish I came upon the hole. This small bathtub sized hole had two of the larger fish in it, getting down and sitting a lil behind the hole I was able to land a great Colorado Cutthroat. Seemed huge at 7 inches compared to mostly 4 inchers I could see. I poked around that beautiful and very quiet location for a few hours before I popped back in the rental car and couple more hours north.

The next of the list was a Bonneville Cutthroat, Utah’s state fish. A fish I’ve caught before in Wyoming but it was on the list. I headed into the Unita National Forest to another small head water stream. Similar to most other outings, up into National Forest but most of the length of this stream was along side a forest service road. Was able to catch a few Bonneville’s and then back in car headed north again.

Reached Salt Lake City and got a hotel. The next fish was a Yellowstone cutthroat which was about a 3 hour ride to the water the furthest drive and longest day. This is the most rare in Utah being only in a few streams. Because of the lack of roads I actually drive into Idaho and then south to the location in north central Utah in the Sawtooth National Forest.

Again, very small waters and was able to get the flies through the tangles of limbs but had real hard time hooking these 4 inchers. This was particularly frustrating and I bet it took three hours of fishing to land one of these. Seriously, most regular anglers would laugh trying to land these oversized goldfish that I had to fly across the country, drive hours and hike hours more to match wits with. Ultimately, got what I came for , which made the 3 hours back to the SLC area palatable.

I left one final day of fishing for the Bear River Cutthroat. It was a Saturday I remember and headed to a tributary of the Logan river. The Logan river is in a scenic canyon through Nat Forest land and sees lots of use in proximity to the great Salt Lake area. The Logan looked like a nice place to wet a line, decent size but not too big and half of the time well shaded.

It was late September when I made this trip and it was dry and blue skies each day. Conditions for a human were nice, cool in the mornings and warm to hot in the afternoon if you were hiking. The Bear River is recognized by the state of Utah as a separate subspecies and so I thought I would check this one off to leave no doubt.

I fished a tributary to the Logan it was possibly the only time cutthroat fishing in a spring creek. It had the marks of spring creek- cold clear water , many bugs observed in comparison to the other waters fished and lots of weedy watery growth.

Started to try my luck right along side the dirt forest service road. I tried with no luck. Relocated up higher to The end of the road and wasn’t far from the trailhead and got into a few. Seemed these fish were a little larger than the others but not surprise coming out of this mountain spring creek.

So in a weeks time , was successful with the Pecos strain of the Rio Grande Cutthroat and Gila in New Mexico and the four native cutthroat to Utah. Certainly successful in my eyes but a little more frenetic pace than I would have liked.

These are the native trout to the south central Rockies and I believe I fished on National Forest land in every instance.

One step forward and two steps back- after this trip I declared victory by catching all the strains of cutthroat (13 counting the Bear River) but have come to find out there are 2 more cutthroat lurking out there both in Colorado. The San Juan strain of the Colorado cutthroat and the Hayden Creek Cutthroat ( which matches genes from a long thought extinct yellowfin cutthroat in the Arkansas headwaters. More to be done.

Here’s details on Utahs cutthroats: https://dev-utahcuttthroatslam.pantheonsite.io/bonneville-cutthroat-trout/

Good luck to all fly anglers.

Attachments

• F5E84730-EAB9-43FD-B841-C822293C816A.jpeg
    F5E84730-EAB9-43FD-B841-C822293C816A.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 8702C4B9-1931-45B2-9229-D5DB1B81FBC8.jpeg
    8702C4B9-1931-45B2-9229-D5DB1B81FBC8.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 25
  • 61608793-F427-4FE4-8590-5DCCCFDAB6CE.jpeg
    61608793-F427-4FE4-8590-5DCCCFDAB6CE.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 7F55C49F-701E-4CC9-84BE-8FEE3F383F40.jpeg
    7F55C49F-701E-4CC9-84BE-8FEE3F383F40.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 76535ED5-745C-4B1A-A72E-51C9DA6B4790.jpeg
    76535ED5-745C-4B1A-A72E-51C9DA6B4790.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2237950D-98FD-4084-929D-7C2B9C09AEC9.jpeg
    2237950D-98FD-4084-929D-7C2B9C09AEC9.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 24
Great report. I don´t do a lot of traveling so I love reports like this.

Great report. Persistence & planning pays off. And more to look forward to in CO. Best of luck there too. I love reading about other angler's adventures, especially when many of my local streams & lakes are iced over.

Thanks for the report. I've done a bit of cutthroat fishing and really enjoyed it, and would like to do another trip.

What type of vehicle did you rent to drive to these places? Just a regular rental car or 4wd vehicle? Did you encounter rough roads?

On that trip I had a Ford Focus and it sat low at least for my liking. It was fine but for the Colorado cutthroat the forest road wasn’t terrible but a little rough. The biologist suggested that I could drive on an atv trail off the rough gravel road I was on which would take me very close to the water. That was a joke with that car. I bottomed out pulling into the small ditch getting onto that road. There was a spot for couple car right there and that’s as far as I got on that one. Not terrible but had about a half mile walk and I did end up starting out on the stream too low. I would have preferred a Subaru or smaller suv but they didn’t have anything else in Albuquerque. Even with other trips, a jeep would be great but if not just makes for a bit longer walk in some cases but not a terrible detriment. I spent 90% on larger highways on that trip because of the great distances and lack of secondary paved roads. One of the worst I took my car on was a dozen mile long dirt road down to the McCloud river in CA to Ah-Di-Nah access and campground. Pretty steep, rutted, washed out in spots and no cell with very little traffic.

These pictures are some of the roads from NM-UT. Some I didn’t drive on at the points where some of the pictures were taken.

Attachments

• 8E6CF140-AB68-4296-8382-1BCFA32915CF.jpeg
    8E6CF140-AB68-4296-8382-1BCFA32915CF.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 9CE94245-9BA2-4E51-BB19-7E777AAFB691.jpeg
    9CE94245-9BA2-4E51-BB19-7E777AAFB691.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 14
  • 3F9629B5-EDE6-47FC-8E6A-62AB4CCC1BBE.jpeg
    3F9629B5-EDE6-47FC-8E6A-62AB4CCC1BBE.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 7BD1C04B-7D8C-4DA3-A6F2-364476E35738.jpeg
    7BD1C04B-7D8C-4DA3-A6F2-364476E35738.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 06B3F575-5C44-43B5-A750-E5B72B3449AE.jpeg
    06B3F575-5C44-43B5-A750-E5B72B3449AE.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 6647A9F6-B87D-418B-BA93-30256B5886FD.jpeg
    6647A9F6-B87D-418B-BA93-30256B5886FD.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 14
  • AAAA901D-7F16-4D41-B0A5-9818842A4D83.jpeg
    AAAA901D-7F16-4D41-B0A5-9818842A4D83.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Not why I do the things I do but “because it was there” I did it.

Attachments

• FDD6F606-441B-4806-897F-6571E8637C71.jpeg
    FDD6F606-441B-4806-897F-6571E8637C71.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 18
1fish- yep!

Attachments

• 684330F4-B01E-444D-BB0E-20C8A7DD40A9.jpeg
    684330F4-B01E-444D-BB0E-20C8A7DD40A9.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 7
From reading your posts over the years, I should have know you already had one.

1fish- Many states have them now NM, AZ,NV

One of the hardest challenges is CA Heritage Angling. They have 11 native trout and salmon and they are spread out all over the state and mostly in areas that require miles of hiking in the wilderness. It’s one state that I am trying to check off but really it’s happenstance as these natives are on my list already. It’s very tough especially for anglers east of the Mississippi.

The CA fish biologists are excellent. I get great info on the fishes and very prompt enthusiastic answers. You can tell they love talking to anglers about their natives.

Anyone that completes the CA has my respect as for angling awards or whatever you like to refer to them as. It’s a real accomplishment and with any luck I will be able to complete the state this year. ( before it gets drier and hotter).
Here’s the info-

Going for Little Kern River golden and Kern River rainbow and further north an Eagle Lake rainbow. The only lake in the world with this native rainbow. The lake has a super high PH level and thankfully all the fish that have been stocked into the lane never take because they can’t take the high ph. Pretty wild. Can’t wait.

Paul, I just want to say you are living the dream man. Love your persistence and goal.

Going for Little Kern River golden and Kern River rainbow and further north an Eagle Lake rainbow. The only lake in the world with this native rainbow. The lake has a super high PH level and thankfully all the fish that have been stocked into the lane never take because they can’t take the high ph. Pretty wild. Can’t wait.
I've been in SoCal since 86, now split my year between there and MT.

I've fished the Kern a fair bit, but not a lot as compared to other streams in CA. The upper river is about 3 hours away. Way way more often I would head to the Owens which is around 4 hours, or the East Walker which is closer to 5.

That being said I always wanted to hike down to the forks and fish there for a few days. Probably never will at this point, unless I get my knees fixed, and even then still doubtful. I think it something like a 1200 foot drop in a couple of miles.

Just a question. Why didn't you hit the forks after picking up your CA Golden trout on the south fork? It wasn't all that far away. Anyway, it still sounds like fun.

Thanks for telling us about it. I love those little streams. I'd take those over big water every day of the week. Look forward to heading out west sometime in the near future, looks amazing!

I've been in SoCal since 86, now split my year between there and MT.

I've fished the Kern a fair bit, but not a lot as compared to other streams in CA. The upper river is about 3 hours away. Way way more often I would head to the Owens which is around 4 hours, or the East Walker which is closer to 5.

That being said I always wanted to hike down to the forks and fish there for a few days. Probably never will at this point, unless I get my knees fixed, and even then still doubtful. I think it something like a 1200 foot drop in a couple of miles.

Just a question. Why didn't you hit the forks after picking up your CA Golden trout on the south fork? It wasn't all that far away. Anyway, it still sounds like fun.
1-fish. The Sierra National Forest was closed last year so that really shut those fish out. CA’s are spread out and hard to get to as far as week or two long trips. Up until the forest got closed I was going to take a horse pack outfitter and fish for the lil Kern golden , Kern river rainbow and ca golden trout all together over several days. I was able to catch the CA golden in native range this time. Also, in past years I have been very near most of these fish And I didn’t fish for because it wasn’t something I was into yet. Could kick myself. Another time , you couldn’t fish for Gila trout 10 years ago or at least the ones I was I interested in and they were close to the Apaches I fished for. Last year I got antsy and flew to Reno and did the Piaute cutthroat cause that’s a big separate trip (near mammoth ski area) and the golden. Actually caught golden in cottonwood lakes area. Crazy mountain road to trailhead. But these were just out of their native range.

Back