Unpowered Launch permit for yaks why ?

If i'm paying money for a different permit then powered boats why isnt there a area for me to launch my non powered boat. Kayaks dont require a launching area just a clear path to the water.

So, you're complaining about not having access to a special kayak launch area, which you also claim you don't need.

Interesting. :roll:

tomitrout wrote:
If i'm paying money for a different permit then powered boats why isnt there a area for me to launch my non powered boat. Kayaks dont require a launching area just a clear path to the water.

So, you're complaining about not having access to a special kayak launch area, which you also claim you don't need.

Interesting. :roll:

Parking is free and I dont require a special launch but if i'm paying for a launch permit provide me with a special launch . :pint:

I'll be here all night . :lol:

I have several budies of mine that were told to get one by the state at Marsh creek and Chambers Lake in ChesCo .

Fredrick wrote:
I have several budies of mine that were told to get one by the state at Marsh creek and Chambers Lake in ChesCo .
I believe Chambers Lake is a Chester County or Chester County Water Resources Authority owned & managed property so they can have their own set of rules.

As far as Marsh Creek Lake, tell your buddies to call and ask for an explanation. Like I said, just because someone "told" them doesn't mean they were correct.

Parking is free and I dont require a special launch but if i'm paying for a launch permit provide me with a special launch .

I'll be here all night .

And you've only ever used your kayak in that one particular lake and never at another body of water within the Commonwealth?

From New York State Parks web site: "Most New York State Parks charge a vehicle use fee of between $6 and $10 dollars for day use. Parks may also charge additional fees for such amenities as pools and picnic shelter reservations. Historic sites generally charge an admission fee of between $1 and $6. "

Just sayin...

My only gripe is that the permit fell off my yak on my first trip out. Oh well.

+1 on the parking lot maintenance. I use the F&B canoe launch off of Good Hope Rd on the Conodoguinet at least 10 times a year.

The OP may have an issue with thinking he is paying twice to fish but he is comparing apples and oranges. The fishing license allows him to legally fish the Commonwealth waters for whatever fish are covered in the purchase of the fishing license.

The Use Permit, in my understanding, has nothing to do with fishing. The Use Permit provides the legal means to launch his kayak, canoe, pontoon boat, paddle board, etc. from a PFBC launch ramp. If you happen to own property on the waterway, river, or lake you want to recreate on you don't need a launch permit.

I have two kayaks, a Bucks Bag pontoon boat, a Hyde drift boat, and a jet powered Lowe bass boat. Both the Hyde and Lowe have motors and I have to pay to have the boats registered and also pay to register the trailers. I register just one kayak and the other I just launch from my property and take it out on private property.

There is no free lunch. Most every pleasure we pursue has either a specific cost or less obvious cost but it is there nevertheless. I buy a season non resident NY fishing license every year for $50.00. I buy a ten day Montana non resident fishing license, a conservation license, and an invasive species license that is used to try and eliminate the ingress of non native Montana wildlife. That combined license costs $86.00. I bought a one day Idaho fishing license for $15.00. I don't remember, or even care to remember, how much it cost me to register my personal boats and trailers. I consider the cost as my "dues" to fully enjoy a wonderful pursuit that has given me immense pleasure for sixty years.

wbranch wrote:
The OP may have an issue with thinking he is paying twice to fish but he is comparing apples and oranges. The fishing license allows him to legally fish the Commonwealth waters for whatever fish are covered in the purchase of the fishing license.

The Use Permit, in my understanding, has nothing to do with fishing. The Use Permit provides the legal means to launch his kayak, canoe, pontoon boat, paddle board, etc. from a PFBC launch ramp. If you happen to own property on the waterway, river, or lake you want to recreate on you don't need a launch permit.

I have two kayaks, a Bucks Bag pontoon boat, a Hyde drift boat, and a jet powered Lowe bass boat. Both the Hyde and Lowe have motors and I have to pay to have the boats registered and also pay to register the trailers. I register just one kayak and the other I just launch from my property and take it out on private property.

There is no free lunch. Most every pleasure we pursue has either a specific cost or less obvious cost but it is there nevertheless. I buy a season non resident NY fishing license every year for $50.00. I buy a ten day Montana non resident fishing license, a conservation license, and an invasive species license that is used to try and eliminate the ingress of non native Montana wildlife. That combined license costs $86.00. I bought a one day Idaho fishing license for $15.00. I don't remember, or even care to remember, how much it cost me to register my personal boats and trailers. I consider the cost as my "dues" to fully enjoy a wonderful pursuit that has given me immense pleasure for sixty years.

Dear wbranch,

When you explain it that way what reasonable person would argue?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

This is a joke so please don't get too bent, but good humor always has a grain of truth. Some kayakers on the rivers are like some bicyclist on the road. Rules just don't apply to them.

"Some kayakers on the rivers are like some bicyclist on the road. Rules just don't apply to them."

Haha, yep, some are above the rules.

Or they don't belong in a kayak because they endanger themselves or someone else. Like the woman I had to push out of the way before she was about to run over me. "I don't know how to steer this thing!"

Or the kayakers that had to be rescued the other day in the raging Schuylkill River. The newspaper article stated they were new at kayaking. So lets just put the rescue team in harms way because of downright stupidity.

Attached article: https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/water-ice/news/21016500/several-rescued-from-raging-pa-river-firefighter-news

Or the groups of kayakers who often use the PFBC ramps as staging areas, picnic areas, and everything other than what the rule book states. Putting in your water craft and taking it out. Once at Marietta I had to threaten a group of about eight kayaks who wouldn't move so I could take out with calling a CO and having them fined.

wbranch wrote:
"Some kayakers on the rivers are like some bicyclist on the road. Rules just don't apply to them."

Haha, yep, some are above the rules.

I've met some FFers who are like that too. Yakers and bikers haven't cornered the market...

All those Yakkers should pay a registration fee regardless where they launch. Maybe it will cut down on the ones who have no consideration for fishermen at all.

Two things:

First, what about the PRINCIPLE of being a PA resident and fishing principally in PA and NJ yet registering a watercraft in DE? I'm not entirely sure that's legal, TBH. Your kayak is to be registered in its "state of principal use", and it doesn't sound like you use it most in DE. Do you also have a DE fishing license? Principles without consistency undermine integrity and make for weak argument.

Second, it doesn't surprise me that the WCOs at Marsh Creek are known to stretch the limits of their authority. I have had my issues with them myself and wonder just how many BS violations they issue that aren't challenged in court.

Surf Cowboy,

I was unaware that non residents have to register their water craft in PA if it is already registered in their state of residence. Is that what you are saying?

Surf Cowboy,

I was unaware that non residents have to register their water craft in PA if it is already registered in their state of residence. Is that what you are saying?

He's alluding to the admission that a PA resident made in this thread about registering their boat in DE to save a few bucks...

Fred wrote:
I own two yaks one is registered probably going to get the second one registered as well. Since I live on the Pa del border I registered it in Del its cheaper and they have allot more areas local for me to use my yak .

If he's using it primarily in DE, perfectly legal and in the spirit of the law; if only to save a few coins, then we get to the PRINCIPLE of the matter.

Back