Unpowered Launch permit for yaks why ?

That's some yak loading skills!!

My only issue with the permit is the inconvenience of it all. I'd like to be able to jump in the car and go on the first nice day in the spring but then I remember I didn't get my permit yet. Same issue with fishing out of state...I always have to do a bunch of research on each state's license requirements, and we all know how fun those state run websites are!

I'd like it if they'd just mail me a launch permit each year and bill me, like they do with my boat registration.

Fredrick wrote:
CLSports wrote:
It is a launch permit for all PA State Parks and state owned launch areas. Not just a "boat ramp" launch permit.

It is cheap. It pays for the maintenance.

There is a kayak launch like that at Lake Nockamixon now. I am not sure why it was needed, but it is there.

Better than NJ. They are charging $20 per day to launch on the Delaware River at their launch areas. This is for out-of-staters.

My point is I already purchased a fishing license I shouldn't have to buy a launch permit to kayak fish in the water at a state park and what am I using that I need to help the state maintain I don't use a boat launch ? I can see the need for the launch permit for people who don't have a fishing license . Its not the money its the principle it like having someone pay for a fishing license to launch their yak at a state park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsSo7vkUKI

You said it. It's the STATE PARK. Just don't go to State parks and don't use public launches and you're set. Otherwise just buy one if the two permits. I'll just register mine because it is cheap and covers my butt.

My only issue with the permit is the inconvenience of it all. I'd like to be able to jump in the car and go on the first nice day in the spring but then I remember I didn't get my permit yet. Same issue with fishing out of state...I always have to do a bunch of research on each state's license requirements, and we all know how fun those state run websites are!

Yes, adulting is hard stuff. And I wish my mom would still pack my lunch for me before I go to work each day.

outsider wrote:
"A boat ramp is not a safe place to launch a kayak and the concrete at the ramp will greatly reduce the life of your yak by eventually rubbing a hole in the keel of your yak. Sure I can battle with the boaters and wear holes in my yak at the boat launch but they were not made to launch boats without trailers."

I can send instructions to you how to launch a kayak aside of the boat ramp if you need direction with that. However, when I owned kayaks, I carried my kayaks over the concrete and placed them in the water. You may want to give that a try.

Not sure if you are with the times enough to have a instagram account but if you do you can plainly see I don't need lessons on how to launch or put a kayak on a roof of a car matter a fact I believe I can give you lots of pointers i'll teach you how to cast and fish hell I will even teach you how to pee .
https://instagram.com/p/Bk8pdaFnPT9/

Maurice wrote:
Did you park a car there? That’s property use requiring maintenance.

I don't have a problem with the $10 because of this. As long as that $10 gets put to some kind of actual use and not just going in someone's pocket. I've utilized a few kayak launches around my area. The main one I use was in serious need of maintenance but they are redoing the bridge and the construction people completely fixed the path to access the underside of the bridge. I know thats not PFBC money but still there are kayak/canoe launches that I personally use and appreciate.

I was upset that because I put a trolling motor on my kayak that I had to register it as a powered boat. That boat registration process is absolutely horrible! Plus the trolling motor I have was purchased out of state and from what I know has no where in state to purchase and they ended up making me pay the taxes on it. We all know PA tax money never gets put to good use!

Did we just skip the end of Summer and all of Autumn, because it sure feels like winter rant time to me?

Here are my thoughts on this topic: suck it up. If you already own a yak and paid the launch fee, then you knew before buying a 2nd yak that the fee was part of the cost of ownership if used in PA. What is the percent cost of launch fees over the life of the yak?

This is all a discretionary and very much a 1st world problem.

I can;t believe I just wasted time tying this. Shame on me!

The launch permits are a bargain.

(Now, if only we could get a break in the weather so we can get out on the rivers in our canoes and yaks - been only once this summer that I have had my boat out.)

outsider wrote:
Sub-standard? How/why? The PAF&BC typically provides an access area with an asphalt parking area and a boat ramp made of concrete or asphalt, groomed grass, etc. In some locations they provide "job-johnnies" to accommodate your needs. What does one expect for $10? Indoor plumbing, hot showers and a sauna? Really.

Read his post.

Fredrick wrote:
If float tube type boats need one why don't tubers as well and do paddle boards require one and if so were do they display there permit?
Where do you see a requirement for float tubes to have a launch permit?

To the best of knowledge nothing has changed in regards to float tubes on PFBC or DCNR property requiring any launch permits as long as it meets the definition and you meet the other use requirements.

Yep SUPs need one

no, you don't need a launch permit for a float tube. However I have found that state park "rangers" have different interpretations of their own laws and i have a a couple say I wasn't even allowed to have a float tube in their lake.

tomgamber wrote:
no, you don't need a launch permit for a float tube. However I have found that state park "rangers" have different interpretations of their own laws and i have a a couple say I wasn't even allowed to have a float tube in their lake.

Marsh creek lake you are required to get one for a float tube .

$18 for a two year permit to use PA's waterways ... and that isn't a value.

Who do you think gets the first phone call when there is incident on the waterways?

I will chip in $2 too for your use of the resource.

Everyone wants something for nothing. We use to be a Commonwealth ... we are drifting into the land of entitlements.

First off, I have encountered MANY instances where DCNR & PFBC personnel don't know their own regulations.

For that reason I carry copies of the regulations in my float tube and have called them to task on a few occasions when they told me I was either not allowed on DCNR or PFBC property or needed a permit.

On another occasion I was asked why I didn't have a motor on my float tube which is NOT permitted.

In all cases they acknowledged their error when presented with the "evidence".

From the PA Code:

§ 53.19. Use of float tubes on Commission-controlled lakes.

(a) A float tube is a device constructed to provide stable flotation and a level ride to a single angler in a manner that minimizes the possibility of a capsize. The float tube shall consist of a bladder system made of heavy gauge rubber or rubber impregnated support fabric. The bladder shall be covered with a durable
fabric shell which provides a seat for the user and two legholes. A secondary bladder in the form of a backrest or similar component shall be included with a float tube to provide additional emergency flotation.

(b) It is unlawful to use a float tube or similar device on Commission- owned or -controlled lakes other than a float tube as defined in subsection (a).

(c) It is unlawful to use a float tube on Commission-owned or -controlled waters unless the user is properly wearing a Coast Guard approved personal flotation device at all times while using the float tube on the water.

(d) It is unlawful to propel float tubes on Commission-owned or -controlled waters by motors or other mechanical propulsion devices of any type or description.

(e) It is unlawful to use a float tube on Commission-owned or -controlled waters except for the purpose of lawful public fishing.

(f) Float tubes shall be used under this section only on lakes or still waters.

From DCNR:

Float tubes continue to rise in popularity. Quality float tubes are permitted in State Park waters in lakes and still water away from designated swimming or boat launching areas. A quality float tube has two air bladders made of heavy gauge rubber or PVC material covered by a durable fabric shell of denier nylon, Codora or similar material. Float tubes may only be propelled by non-mechanical, non-motorized devices like oars. A U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devise (PFD) must be worn at all times. A state park officer can terminate float tube use if the devise is being used in an unsafe manner or during unsafe conditions.

To the best of knowledge, if anyone is telling you a permit is required at Marsh Creek they need to called to task to explain why.

BTW - County Parks have their own rules unless the PFBC controls the lake.

Stand Up Paddleboard.....like a big stable surfboard that you stand on and paddle around, can fish from some, do yoga on others, run whitewater, etc.

Sorry, I deleted that question from my edited long winded response but thanks for the definition. ;)

Fredrick wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

Marsh creek lake you are required to get one for a float tube .

By whom? and where is that lake?

Bamboozle wrote:
Float tubes may only be propelled by non-mechanical, non-motorized devices like oars

out west, i fished with an old guy who had a second tube with a battery and a trolling motor on his tube. also had a fish finder. had trouble keeping up. cool set up though. too much tech for me,.

semperfly wrote:
$18 for a two year permit to use PA's waterways ... and that isn't a value.

Who do you think gets the first phone call when there is incident on the waterways?

I will chip in $2 too for your use of the resource.

Everyone wants something for nothing. We use to be a Commonwealth ... we are drifting into the land of entitlements.

If you would of read my posts it clearly stated its not about the money its the principle i'm hardly bent over 10 bucs .and i'm not against a fishing license increase. If i'm paying money for a different permit then powered boats why isnt there a area for me to launch my non powered boat. Kayaks dont require a launching area just a clear path to the water. And as far as I can tell its free to park on state land . It seems that some of you have seperate launches in your area but I do not know of any in SEPA close to me.

Just something I dont agree with and I thought I would rant/aurgue about it with some of you on here . The Money is not the issue I have paid more for a beer

And I dont think its fair that people with float tubes have to buy the permit at marsh creek.

tomgamber wrote:
out west, i fished with an old guy who had a second tube with a battery and a trolling motor on his tube. also had a fish finder. had trouble keeping up. cool set up though. too much tech for me,.
Without naming the lake (because I don't want to embarrass the WCO) I was "flippering" my way across and down a long shoreline at a local lake to get to an easy spot to get off of the water.

I saw the WCO eyeballing me as I went along and when I pulled my float tube out he asked me why I didn't have a motor.

When I told him it was because they were not permitted, he insisted he knew the regulations and they were OK. After a bit of arguing I said the same thing: "too tech for me..." ;-)

Fredrick wrote:
And I dont think its fair that people with float tubes have to buy the permit at marsh creek.
I am almost certain they are NOT required at Marsh Creek Lake and the DCNR personnel at the facility are misinformed.

Unfortunately many people consider anything inflatable other than an inner-tube, a boat and apply their interpretations of the boating regulations from that perspective. I've even had shoreline fishermen at State Parks yell at me that my tube was illegal because inflatable "boats" have to be 7 foot long.

Fortunately for tubers like me, neither the PFBC or DCNR consider a float tube a boat. It has a unique place in the regulations for the time being.

Bottom line, if I had aspirations on using my float tube at Marsh Creek Lake I would call and ask if a permit is required. If they answered yes, I'd ask for an explanation why since NOTHING in either the DCNR or PFBC regs says one is required nor does their website specifically mention it.

If they still insist because the website reads:

Non-powered boats must display one of the following:

Boat registration:

Launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania state parks -- available at most state park offices

Launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

I'd contact the regional DCNR office and/or the Harrisburg Office and ask for an explanation. When I did the same thing after a dust-up at Laurel Lake I got an apology and the rangers got an education.

Back