Unpowered Launch permit for yaks why ?

Fredrick

Fredrick

If I buy a fishing license why do I still have to buy a launch permit for my kayak ? I can launch my yak anywhere I don't require the use of a boat ramp .A boat ramp is not a safe place to launch a kayak and the concrete at the ramp will greatly reduce the life of your yak by eventually rubbing a hole in the keel of your yak. Sure I can battle with the boaters and wear holes in my yak at the boat launch but they were not made to launch boats without trailers. .Obviously I haven't been to everywhere in the state but I have yet to see a proper kayak/canoe launch in Pa. If I don't require the use of the ramp, why am I paying for a permit when it is easier more practical for me to launch off the bank. If float tube type boats need one why don't tubers as well and do paddle boards require one and if so were do they display there permit ?

LAUNCH PERMITS
Owners of unpowered boats (canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddleboards,
rowboats, etc.) can launch their boats at PFBC lakes and
access areas or Pennsylvania state parks if their boats display a PFBC
launch use permit, boat registration, or Pennsylvania State Parks launch permit or mooring
permit. Pennsylvania State Parks recognizes boat registrations and Commission launch permits.
The Commission does NOT recognize launch permits from other states. A PFBC launch
permit can be purchased on the Commission’s website. An unpowered boat may have a
registration OR launch permit but is not required to have both.

Here is an example of state owned kayak launch
dsc01853.jpg

It is a launch permit for all PA State Parks and state owned launch areas. Not just a "boat ramp" launch permit.

It is cheap. It pays for the maintenance.

There is a kayak launch like that at Lake Nockamixon now. I am not sure why it was needed, but it is there.

Better than NJ. They are charging $20 per day to launch on the Delaware River at their launch areas. This is for out-of-staters.

The PBFC offers the use hundreds of boat launches throughout the state for unpowered boats for a fee of $10 / year. I think that's a bargain for a full year of recreation.

Whether one uses the actual launch, the kayaker has a place to access the lake or river which the state has to buy or lease, plus a place to park, which all must be built and maintained.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen more people thinking they pay money for nothing than I do with anglers and FFers in particular.... :roll:

money for nothing......I want my.......I want my.......I want my launch for free.

And I know another PA boat launch on the Delaware that will not allow for any inflatables to be used on the launch. I am not sure the reasoning for that. Probably because they have not figured out how to charge them yet.

Soon there will be a tolled EZ-Pass lane to launch your watercraft.

CLSports wrote:
It is a launch permit for all PA State Parks and state owned launch areas. Not just a "boat ramp" launch permit.

It is cheap. It pays for the maintenance.

There is a kayak launch like that at Lake Nockamixon now. I am not sure why it was needed, but it is there.

Better than NJ. They are charging $20 per day to launch on the Delaware River at their launch areas. This is for out-of-staters.

My point is I already purchased a fishing license I shouldn't have to buy a launch permit to kayak fish in the water at a state park and what am I using that I need to help the state maintain I don't use a boat launch ? I can see the need for the launch permit for people who don't have a fishing license . Its not the money its the principle it like having someone pay for a fishing license to launch their yak at a state park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsSo7vkUKI

afishinado wrote:
The PBFC offers the use hundreds of boat launches throughout the state for unpowered boats for a fee of $10 / year. I think that's a bargain for a full year of recreation.

Whether one uses the actual launch, the kayaker has a place to access the lake or river which the state has to buy or lease, plus a place to park, which all must be built and maintained.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen more people thinking they pay money for nothing than I do with anglers and FFers in particular.... :roll:

money for nothing......I want my.......I want my.......I want my launch for free.

Boat ramps are not made to launch kayaks. Yes you can use them but they tear your kayak up, everyone doesn't buy cheapo disposable sit in yaks . And why doesn't the state just start requiring parking permits just charge ten bucks its the same concept as requiring me to buy a launch permit. I mean all those walkers using the paths on commish property and not contributing, those parking lots don't maintain themselves.

Wait til you buy a motorized boat with a trailer and see all the fees they charge you for that!

Boat title fee
Boat registration fee
Trailer title fee
Trailer registration fee
Fee for the tag service to file all of the paperwork for you.
State Sales tax for boat and trailer

Kayaks are cheap. 2 year launch permits are $18.

CLSports wrote:
Wait til you buy a motorized boat with a trailer and see all the fees they charge you for that!

Boat title fee
Boat registration fee
Trailer title fee
Trailer registration fee

Kayaks are cheap.

I own two yaks one is registered probably going to get the second one registered as well. Since I live on the Pa del border I registered it in Del its cheaper and they have allot more areas local for me to use my yak .

CLSports wrote:

Boat title fee
Boat registration fee
Trailer title fee
Trailer registration fee
State Sales tax for boat and trailer

Kayaks are cheap. 2 year launch permits are $18.

That's why I own a kayak.

Also if you are charging me for a service you should be required to give me the proper service and provide a proper boat launch for canoe and kayaks

Kayak/Canoe Launches

Did you park a car there? That’s property use requiring maintenance.

Afish wrote:

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen more people thinking they pay money for nothing than I do with anglers and FFers in particular....

+1

I just realized something regarding my "+1" post. Maybe I don't understand your situation. You may be unemployed, handicapped, or elderly on a fixed income. If that is the case, I apologize for being insensitive. And if that is the case, I will donate $2 to help you in the future so you can enjoy what the PAF&BC has to offer.

"A boat ramp is not a safe place to launch a kayak and the concrete at the ramp will greatly reduce the life of your yak by eventually rubbing a hole in the keel of your yak. Sure I can battle with the boaters and wear holes in my yak at the boat launch but they were not made to launch boats without trailers."

I can send instructions to you how to launch a kayak aside of the boat ramp if you need direction with that. However, when I owned kayaks, I carried my kayaks over the concrete and placed them in the water. You may want to give that a try.

Fred,

I've been paying for launch permit for 15+ yrs to launch / retrieve my one man pontoon. I used to get cranky about it but why waste the energy / time. You have 3 options:
* Register the boat
* Launch Permit
* Find private access site to launch / retrieve

Sorry

If you check the PFBC financials in the annual report, you will find that there are two funds,,the Fish Fund and the Boat Fund. Simply put, no part of the fishing license fee goes to the Boat Fund and, likewise, no parts of the boat registration and launch permit fees go to the Fish Fund. Fishing licenses are not likely paying for boating-related infrastructure, maintenance, safety bouys, investigations, safety checks, rescues, or boating-related patrols just as examples that I can quickly list off the top of my head.

I see Frederick's point of view. He's being taxed...uh licensed, for a service he believes to be sub standard. We can argue that 10 bucks doesn't buy you much in the way of service but I see how someone could make the argument.

Sub-standard? How/why? The PAF&BC typically provides an access area with an asphalt parking area and a boat ramp made of concrete or asphalt, groomed grass, etc. In some locations they provide "job-johnnies" to accommodate your needs. What does one expect for $10? Indoor plumbing, hot showers and a sauna? Really.

I pay to register my boat every two years. I register the trailer every year and I buy a fishing license every year with a trout stamp. Most times when launching in the summer. I have ask the bank fishermen and swimmers/bathers out of the way for a few minutes. Then I have to ask the kayakers to please let me have a small sliver of beach where I can pull my boat onto for a couple minutes while I park my truck and trailer. Same thing when I come back.

Your really complaining about 10 bucks a year when private ramps with the same amenities are charging 20 or 25 dollars a day. I thought I was cheap.

Its not the money guys its the principle one of my kayaks is registered and I will be getting the other one soon so I pay more than I have to . If I was a river rat and I used the state ramp areas to launch out of id feel differently. BTW I was at a ramp on the susky a few weeks ago that had a area for canoe/kayaks as well as a boat ramp and the kayak access road was undrivable unless you had a 4X4 the road was severely degraded . My main gripe is going to state parks with a lake . If I visit the park its free if I want to fish I need a license if I want to fish out of my kayak I need a unpowered boat launch permit but there is nothing there catered to my mode of transportation for launching. They have a special permit for my type of boat but are providing no services for unpowered boats unless you consider the money is funding the guy that checks you to make sure you have the permit . I feel for you boat guys and even more for guides they really stick it to you . Here is a video my son shot of me loading my yak I can easily take it off just as fast and place it on the water no ramp needed .

https://instagram.com/p/Bk8pdaFnPT9/

Back