Trying to tie some Klinkheimer specials, but am having hard time with the post

jay1963

jay1963

Happy New year

I started my new year ting trying to tie a klinkheimer special but I am having a tough time with the post and the hackle so I am asking for some advice on the best way to tie in the post and then be able to wrap the hackle.
seems that I ant keep the yarn in position when I try to wrap up the post.
Thanks
Jay

If you're using synthetic material, take half the thickness you want. Place it under the shank and fold it around the shank. Put a wrap behind and in front to lock it in. Then wrap thread up the post. This can be accomplished by holding the bobbin vertically (upside down). It's a juggling act the first few times but you'll get the hang of it. A dab of super glue on the post can help your thread go up/down the post. Head cement is not an adhesive so if applied it'll basically just solidify the base where it is.

Then I just lock everything in with a few wraps in front and behind the post.

Anyway, catch in the hackle and tie it up the post. Wrap the hackle down. I tie off the hackle on the post using the wrapping convention described above.

If you want to use natural material, it's the same process minus the fact you don't fold it around the shank. You tie it in, prop it up with a thread dam.

With regard to wrapping up the post without it flopping, I have been doing this for years:

If making a poly post, make the post long enough to hold. When you wrap up the post with thread, hold the post with your tying hand's thumb and index finger and don't let go. Pull out enough thread from the bobbin so you are handing off to your tying hand the thread itself, which you grab with your remaining three fingers, then make a twisting motion with your tying hand in order to hand off the thread directly to your bobbin hand. The bobbin just dangles down from your hand as you go around. Repeat up and down the post as desired. You can make very firm wraps this way in many different kinds of even wispy material, because you always have a hold on the wing for the entire procedure. Sounds much more complicated than it is.

Here is another method using uv resin.

http://thelimpcobra.com/tag/fly-tying-with-uv-resins/

thats a very interesting way to secure the hackle on that video!! I might have to try it.

I tie mine in as spent wings and then fold them up and wrap around the base.

I then tie the hackle in front of the post, dull side forward, and secure it up the post as well.

I only get the post started with a few wraps up, then I tie in the hackle and wrap them upward together. Another tip is to keep the thread from the bobbin tip to the post parallel with the hook shank (so the wraps don't slide upward). I think Charlie Craven? has a parachute adams video on YouTube which shows what I'm trying to explain.

SteveG wrote:
I only get the post started with a few wraps up, then I tie in the hackle and wrap them upward together. Another tip is to keep the thread from the bobbin tip to the post parallel with the hook shank (so the wraps don't slide upward). I think Charlie Craven? has a parachute adams video on YouTube which shows what I'm trying to explain.

Ditto^^ also I would have to add. There are many ways to do a parachute. Try a couple and one of them will be your choice. You will then probably develop a certain style of your own. You will learn to do what works best for you.

GenCon

uv resin

uv%20resin%20parachute%20post_zpslcxvxkcs.jpg

Thanks folks
I will watch the videos again tonight.
also i like the idea of the UV resin.
Jay

All advice above should help you.

I have 2 words to add the should be very helpful: thread tension.

OK, more than 2 words: Thread tension is a feel that is often taken for granted by experienced tiers. Para post materials can be floppy and too much tension makes them buckle. With proper tension, you need not over wrap nor glue the post to secure the materials and still keep the post upright.

You will need to try a few levels of tension to see where the failure occurs. Also, you can adjust the bobbin tension to accommodate this.

I hope this helps. Good tying!

Tiogadog wrote:
Not tying a Klinkhammer but watch how it is done here:

Shorter video

wow, great video. he makes it look so simple.

Klinkhamers are the #1 fly for emergers or crippled duns in Europe, the curved hook is deadly imho . i used to catch more on them than dry flies but i very rarely see them mentioned over here.

Back