Trout beads

captbugger

captbugger

What is everyone's view on using trout beads? I have used them in the past and now that I'm more of a streamer guy.

I really felt trout beads were really cheap and rigging is really easy. Also what about stealhead bums Im one and use beads when conditions call for them. I just rarely used trout beads for trout. With opening day coming up I was thinking about using them again. Any thoughts

As far as the legality goes........there's grey areas. Can't really find anything straightforward in the regs. I've heard technically they're not legal, but I've also heard that most WCO's don't have any issues with them. Use them at your own risk. Keeping fish would probably be illegal......unless the hook is on the inside of them mouth.

This past fall I started fishing them in Ohio(they're legal here) and I will say they are very productive. I'm actually starting to prefer them over regular single egg patterns. Cheaper and you don't get flies all beat up. Depends on how you rig them of course, but I find that most fish are actually hooked on the inside of the mouth....and others just on the outside.

I don't consider them snagging. The fish are eating the beads. Deliberate snagging is a whole 'nuther topic...

They're extremely popular in Alaska.

It is a sophisticated snagging technique, in my opinion. Where do you draw the line? As long as you attract the trout toward your hook, then the rest is academic? Not for me, but if it floats your boat, have at it.

Keep in mind, you're not "attracting" the fish to your hook, then snagging them. The fish actually eats the bead(like any other fly/lure/bait), your indicator goes down, then you set the hook. Honestly I think a lot of the times both the bead and the hook go into the fish's mouth when they eat t. Steelhead are big enough for that to happen. Also, when I've used them I'm fishing them under an indicator like normal egg patterns. Absolutely no difference in approach or fishing technique. And I'm not sight fishing........all the fishing is done in relatively deeper water(compared to PA's Erie tribs). Just my experiences.....which are limited to this past fall

Fwiw, someone was selling them at the Cabin Fever show in Cranberry last weekend. They're also sold at various other places in PA. One fly shop that I can think of, Field & Stream, and other places.

I'm still hesitant to fish them in PA

If the fish are taking the bead/egg, why wouldn't you want the hook in the egg? There is a reason the egg and hook are separated and I think it has to do with a greater chance of hooking/snagging up.

The reason for beads is to prevent gut hooking. Rainbows, char, etc. gorge on salmon eggs in Alaska and the fish would deeply inhale regular egg patterns......so people started using the bead setup to decrease the chance of injury. Their popularity eventually spread from there

Then why not put the egg below the hook?

I guess you can.......if you have the egg close enough to the hook.

Otherwise it would be difficult to snag it?

If you want to think of it that way, sure...

It's just as difficult to "snag" a fish with a bead/hook as it is with a normal fly(again, not sight fishing....). You're fishing them the same way. With a normal fly, the fish can potentially deeply inhale the hook. A fish may take the bead deep, but you won't hook them deep....because of the slight distance between the bead and the hook.

That's the concept behind bead fishing. I'm not totally for or against it......just stating what I know. Again, my experiences are very limited.

I know others on here have more experience(didn't someone post a report not too long ago about steelhead up in Michigan that involved beads?? NickR I think?)

When rigged properly, they are no worse than the sort of hook ups you get fishing big streamers. Also, a single bead rigged a couple inches from the hook is probably far less dangerous to the fish than a multiple fly rig.

I really don't see what the big deal is aside from the legal gray areas you are getting into here in PA. From an ethical and sporting standpoint I don't see a problem.

No different than fishing a glo bug. Remember you are not putting that much space between the hook and bead. Almost everytime I have seen fish take them they get the hook and bead in the mouth. Usually end up with a hook set right in the corner where you want it.

If you are fishing in Alaska and chasing rainbows, char, and grayiling when the salmon are spawning (which is a large part of the Summer), you are not going to catch a boat load o fish without them. You have to closely match the egg hatch daily to be successful in that scenario.

I have never found them necessary on Steelhead Alley, though I know Michigan guides that find them fairly important in targeting early Fall steelhead when the Kings are in.

Should they be illegal? No. Snagging should be illegal. People that snag will do it with anything. Trout beads are just a part of that "culture". Used properly, trout beads are valuable in certain situations.

Most important takeaway....don't you personally be a snagger ;-) Turn in those that are.

Here's a satire article for your pleasure on the topic:

http://michiganfly.com/2015/03/03/2016-release-planned-for-how-to-catch-fish-off-gravel/

Wow didn't mean to tick so many people off with this I personally know it is legal plus the wco who told me about it said the wording in the signs state bait that is molded and or fix a bead is not a bait. On the other hand snagging is done in such a way that the hook is not in or around the mouth area. My thing with a bead is you keep it no more than 2 inches from the hook and it never hooks a fish anywhere else other than the corner of the mouth. Snagging wow such a strong word play on people include famous fishing guides use all over. In reality I have accidently fow hooked(not snagged that is considered a purposeful act) with a 2 rig fly then with a bead.

I use beads in NY for steelhead.I also use stoneflies instead of a bare hook. Can't tell which one the fish wanted, but l know it works.

I think a lot folks are referring to lining or flossing of fish as a type of snagging as well Captnbugger. And essentially it is snagging them in the face rather than the fish taking the offering. I tell folks every year at our salmon retreat, if you are setting the hook on any little bump of your line, you will foul hook and line fish all day. If you relax and let your offering just drift through and let the fish do the work, you will be left with no doubt when they do strike. And then an easy lift of the rod is all it takes.

I totally agree Patrickc I know for a fact that if fish want something they will take it. I have been fly fishing all my life and I can say 20 years of being on the stream I have seen it all. By the way had my best day using peach bead on the sandy river which is located on the other side of Rochester New York

Back