Topographic Maps - Which one do you use?

steveo27

steveo27

Im looking for a good online topo map. Ive been using Goolge maps and its OK at best. When you zoom in to a certain point, all the contour lines disappear and its kind of annoying.

Ive been doing a lot of scouting and prospecting for new native brookie streams and I would like a better topo map to use.

What online top maps do you guys use?

Cheers

Use Google Earth or Delorme Gazetteer for printed topo maps.

GE is my go to these days. You can also go to PASDA site and link the PA stream data in GE as well as most other GIS data.

Yeah, google's physical/terrain version of the map used to be awesome. Like you said, now the topo lines disappear if you zoom in too close. It sucks.

CLS, you can get the stream data in google form as well as in GIS form. On this site:

http://www.pasda.psu.edu/uci/SearchResults.aspx?originator=Pennsylvania+Fish+and+Boat+Commission&Keyword=&searchType=originator&entry=PASDA&sessionID=8227005442015911131126

The lightning bolt takes you to google, the earth to PASDA maps. Same background info in both.

But mainly, I have 2 ways:

1. I have a Garmin sourced software package for a handheld GPS unit that also works on the computer. It's easy to use but not very accurate, as many smaller features are "smoothed" to save memory in the handheld unit. So a draw in a hillside, for instance, may show up as far less of a draw than it really is. Can have this on the computer or "in the field" on the GPS unit.

2. On my smartphone I have the PA fishing app. You can have a street map, satellite, or USGS topo map as the background. The USGS topo is very accurate but not as user friendly. Also, you gotta be careful that the phone is on Wi-Fi, as if you start scrolling around maps on mobile you rack up data usage awfully quickly, or just as often in canyons and such, don't have service at all. So this isn't an ideal "in the field" method.

Also on the smartphone I have the HUNT GPS app, which gives you landowner info. Same drawback regarding wifi/mobile data.

In the end, it's a combo of sources, using multiple services. I use the PASDA/google combo to scout at home, or find some wifi and the PA fishing app on the road. Then you switch to the GPS version to orient yourself with what it looks like there. Then use the GPS in the field.

I use a Delorme Gazetteer.

Online, I use AcmeMapper.com. It's very easy to use, and you can switch between topo, satellite images, and a road map, just with a click.

Paper maps:

DCNR state forest maps, and their trail maps, which are more detailed than their forest maps.

And the DeLorme atlas.

At home: Google and Acme Mapper. Also various park/forest/trail maps when available.

Out and about: Delorme Gazetteer, and Google maps on my phone if possible. If I don't have the physical forest maps I'll often take a photo of the map on my computer with my phone, or simply download it to my phone. A Delorme is definitely the most reliable option though.

I too am bummed about the changes to Google Maps over the past year or two.

I don't know what level of quality you're looking for, but I've been impressed with the maps I've found here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

I use them on a garmin, but you can also make use of them with a PC

They're free

What do you guys use these for?

I don't really see the need. I use a gazetteer from time to time for some roads but mainly now Just use the basic nav on my phone.

Are there lost streams somewhere? The elevations are pretty easy to figure out aren't they? I mean if you enjoy pouring over details I get it but just seems unnessary.

the creeks flow downhill ;-)

I have delorme in a laptop in my truck all states and Canada on a cd

Dual use for hunting.

But, as far as fishing goes:

1. Gradient. When searching for new streams gradient is very helpful to know. It's pretty common to use the PFBC data and highlight 10+ streams in an area, then you have to decide which among them is most likely gonna fish the best. And even within a stream, which section.

2. Ownership if possible. Most of them shade public land differently than private land. The HUNT GPS one also gives private landholder names and property boundaries if you wanna go door knocking, and upon getting permission, making sure you stay on his land.

acristickid wrote:

I don't really see the need. I use a gazetteer from time to time for some roads but mainly now Just use the basic nav on my phone.

Are there lost streams somewhere? The elevations are pretty easy to figure out aren't they? I mean if you enjoy pouring over details I get it but just seems unnessary.

For exploring backcountry streams.

Many streams have no roads nearby or crossing them.

With good detailed maps, and satellite images, you can find the best routes in and back out from the stream.

And there is the safety issue also. If someone gets hurt, it's good to know the very best way to get out and get help.

Regarding phones, most of the backcountry streams have no cell service.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I always keep my Delorme Gazetteer in my truck to use while on the road.

Ill have to explore the other options now. Ive been working on a "potential fishing locations" list cross referencing the natural reproduction list, the class A/B/C list, and the PA CH93 water designation list.

acristickid wrote:

Basically what everyone else said.

Gradient being the most important thing. The steeper the stream the better for brookie fishing I have found. The flatter the water, the less likely it is to have plunge pools and such.

Access points. Id rather access a stream climbing down a 100 foot hill side vs having to reppal down a 300 ft mountain side.

steveo27 wrote:

acristickid wrote:

Basically what everyone else said.

Gradient being the most important thing. The steeper the stream the better for brookie fishing I have found. The flatter the water, the less likely it is to have plunge pools and such.

There is also a lot of good wild trout fishing on medium gradient freestone streams.

Many of the good wild trout streams in NC PA, including many of the Class A sections, are not steep gradient streams, they are medium gradient streams.

What matters is good habitat, i.e. pools and cover. And really superb habitat can also be found on medium gradient streams, if the stream has not been damaged too much by various disturbances.

It's true that there is also a lot of very poor habitat sections. So you have to search for the good habitat sections. Topo maps and satellite images can help here also.

But you also just have to do a lot of walking.

To emphasize what has been said anecdotally, I offer this illustration:

There is a certain stream that viewing on a map from east to west, right to left, has a main stem that is stocked. Then 5 main branches mostly wild. Hypothetically the branches are the Left Branch, Middle Branch and Right Branch, with the Middle and Right branch having divisions into the South Fork Right/Middle Branch and North Fork Right/Middle Branch. Left Branch is not so divided.

Anywhoo... most of the waters mentioned are on either open private land or open public land. South of the South Fork Right Branch is a gamelands shooting range that has a walking trail cut to the stream segment about 1/4 mile long. By fording the stream and moving further along the trail, one will encounter the North Fork Right Branch. From here northward it is all wilderness.

In order to fish the South or North Forks of the Middle Branches, you would need to traverse the wilderness without a trail. Having topos of the area allows you to predict the easiest path to travel to avoid steep ravines. Without topo info, this is a lot more guesswork.

Great example Jack. Is said gameland's rifle range upstream of small township reservoir?

I finally did some more searching around. Ive been using the USGS National Map - http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/ - for a few days now with great success. The topo features are perfect for what I need.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hypothetically it is.

Hahaha. Well played, sir, well played.

That hypothetical watershed is very high up on my "to fish" list.

You will be alone. There is some private property mixed in to the headwaters of all forks and branches, but there is signage to keep you where you belong. I recommend taking a friend along if you want to explore the area deeply.

Back