Toothy Critter Success Thread

HAHAHAHA I've had that happen as well brother I had a night were I keep running the day before over and over again like a movie. For those of us who like punishment it gets ya hooked real quick. For me it's really the way they commit murder on a fly. Can't get enough of it

Yah it's unreal. I haven't even had a big strike yet on the fly (mine basically gaped it once the fly broke the surface), but I can't wait for it. Even the follows have gotten me going. Check this one out....caught it an hour after I caught my first ever musky. After years of trying, I managed to stick two in one day haha. She measured 40" on the dot and 21-22" in girth. Assuming it was around 22 lbs. She was a fatty.

That's when I put down the spinning rod and bought a 10wt.
2013-05-07_19-35-05_683.jpg

Good stuff guys! I haven't given these fish enough attention this year...may need to change that after seeing these pics.

Loomis...gear or not, thats a monster fish.

Thanks Jay. That picture will always put a smile on my face haha. Great moment in my life. Me and my Dad hadn't seen eachother in a while due to college, and we got out on the water the day I got home from school. He really got me into musky fishing, but he was always the one with the action (aka patience). After landing a 30" tiger we were pumped...then this guy came along and we were on top of the world haha. Great bonding

Congratulations Crawdad! I can't imagine what kind of a rush it must be to land one of those beasts on a fly rod. This whole thread has just intrigued me to no end.

Great fish there guys. I tussled with 1 this morning. Pricked it on the out side of the mouth lost it on the 1 st jump. This old hand is getting schooled this year!

No luck last night...water was friggin 93 degrees when we got there and 90 when we left at 1am

Hopefully sunday and its moon will stir things up. This heat is too brutal

I admittedly know nothing about toothy critters but i believe in the animal world the behavior of the musky at 93 degrees is termed as simmering. :-D

Perhaps a large spoon stirred in a clockwise manner would bring them to the top.

Well, nothing like the triumph of catching the first Musky only to then get the skunk two days later...haha.. Water was still stained, I did get one to follow on a foam dahlberg/bunny fly...zero to hero back again to zero. Ha

It's not a pike or musky, but I'd think the amount of teeth makes it qualify for the thread! Got this guy and another just like it fishing the Ohio River this morning. Went 0 for 2 last year, and I finally made it happen this morning and went 2 for 4. Had plenty of follows but only 4 actually hit. Surprisingly hard fighters.

2013-07-21093439_zpsbd7aa3e6.jpg

Nice fish!

Crawdad I was out on Moraine yesterday for bass, started with the fly rod went to spin gear later. Anyhow, when dropping my boat off ran into a guy that landed a 51 inch musky early in the am, not on flyrod. I haven't targeted them yet with a flyrod but would like to. Was wondering if there would be interest in setting up a mini musky jam at Moraine, I would think some of the Western Pa. guys would be up for it. Norm

There is a ton of interest in the fly fishing world right now about catching muskies, and it's great to see that people are putting in the time to actually catch them. I have to say though, that it really bothers me to see fish being mishandled.

In this thread alone, there are pics of muskies that have been rolled in gravel and clearly not handled appropriately. I don't fault anyone for wanting a picture of a fish they worked so hard to catch, but the well being of the fish should be priority #1 when they are brought to hand.

I have to ask (beg) that if you are going to do this, go about it the right way. Get jaw spreaders and long nose pliers (you will need them), leave the fish alone when water temps are high (above 80) and they have a very hard time recovering, hold them correctly, and keep them in the water if you are going to photo them. They may look big and tough, but in reality, they aren't. It takes a long time to grow a 40" musky, and it would be a shame to see one go belly up over something thats avoidable.

I don't want to start an argument (though I probably will), but with all the interest in fly fishing for muskies, I think it needed to be said.

inthedrift wrote:
There is a ton of interest in the fly fishing world right now about catching muskies, and it's great to see that people are putting in the time to actually catch them. I have to say though, that it really bothers me to see fish being mishandled.

In this thread alone, there are pics of muskies that have been rolled in gravel and clearly not handled appropriately. I don't fault anyone for wanting a picture of a fish they worked so hard to catch, but the well being of the fish should be priority #1 when they are brought to hand.

I have to ask (beg) that if you are going to do this, go about it the right way. Get jaw spreaders and long nose pliers (you will need them), leave the fish alone when water temps are high (above 80) and they have a very hard time recovering, hold them correctly, and keep them in the water if you are going to photo them. They may look big and tough, but in reality, they aren't. It takes a long time to grow a 40" musky, and it would be a shame to see one go belly up over something thats avoidable.

I don't want to start an argument (though I probably will), but with all the interest in fly fishing for muskies, I think it needed to be said.

+1

I never realized how fragile they are until recently. I knew about keeping them in the water and not letting their slime rub off (similar to trout), but I wasn't aware 80 degrees was the cut off temp. I guess it should've been common sense.

Is netting them with one of those musky net/baskets (not sure what theyre called) hard? It seems like it would be tough

Guys please don't use bogas to lift and weight fish. These animals can be very violent. And will tear a boga loose from there lip. A lotta people are intimidated by these fish when dealing with the bisness end of em. With the right tools there are easy to handle.

What boga damage looks like

TLoomis wrote:
Is netting them with one of those musky net/baskets (not sure what theyre called) hard? It seems like it would be tough

I'm guessing you're talking about a cradle?

I haven't used one personally so take this for what its worth...I've read they take some practice getting used to the motion (i figured this much). But I've also heard its impossible to use one without a fishing partner (makes sense assuming you still have a rod in your hand). I imagine it's even tougher on a boat when someone is responsible for controlling the boat at the same time.

At any rate, some guys swear by them...if you can make the setup work, I'd say give it a shot.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Guys please don't use bogas to lift and weight fish. These animals can be very violent. And will tear a boga loose from there lip. A lotta people are intimidated by these fish when dealing with the bisness end of em. With the right tools there are easy to handle.

better off jamming fingers in gill plates and dragging them around on dry grass.... right?

Well Slum, I guess your a boga user? I don't think that if you use a boga to control the fishs head boat side is bad. As long as the fish is in the water. When its used to lift and support the fish that's were my concerns are. Essox world has alotta article on there uses pros and cons.
is-this-any-way-to-treat-our-apex-freshwater-predator-140x300.jpg

terrible-damage-from-the-bogas.jpg

I don't believe in gilling a pike or musky theres no need Ive also bin really lucky having buddys help with some deep hooked fish. So ya think that laying a fish on grass to get a fly out of the back of the mouth is wrong? Well ya only have two hands cant hold the fish, jaw spreaders and a hook out at the same time.

Well, I don't have a boat, so no dice there, I don't have big enough net, not to mention carrying one that big while wading would be interesting to say the least, oh the one time I used boga's was one of the few times I was actually with a friend fishing for pike and I was helping him land it, the fish shook a ton and the boga ripped the lower soft connective stuff in the lip. I stopped using them then. Oh and use and 8wt which is probably to light in some people's opinions.

In my defense, I take fast as pictures, this fish was in and out and back in the water in 2 minutes. The fish didn't take long to revive and swam away no problems no belly up, no laying on the side. I appreciate the comments and concerns and do handle fish the best I can and keep the time out of water to the minimum as well. I can't please everyone.

Back