Toothy Critter Success Thread, Part II - 2015

You might want to check out Knot 2 Kinky for bite guard. I use the 25lb for topwater and 35lb for everything else. Been using it for a few years now and it has been very good to me. Struggled with a few different wires early on, but LOVE this stuff!!

Jay

Leaders keep your leader short 4-5 feet MAX total and use some sort of bite guard either 60-80lb flouro or tieable wire. I have switched from flouro to 40 lb surflon micro supreme. My typical leader is 4 feet of 40lb flouro attached to 12-18" of wire

I was just offering the leader material for free. I also recommend he flows your formula above.

I'm wringing my hands now! Cabin fever kicking in to overdrive as tonight's forecast is for snow, but next week is looking a bit warmer! Now anticipating warmer weather, what temps will you begin to target the toothies? I realize they are pulled through the ice, but when will your season typically start? When do we start filling out this success thread with fish?!

As soon as the ice is off the river. Prespawn and post spawn can be great times.

Cant wait till ice off either but it will be for the susky northerns more than the musky.Yea I know that its only a northern but 40in of teeth is 40ins of teeth.Come on spring.

This is where I got my musky box started: http://www.theflystop.com/fly-fishing-flies-discount/musky/musky I was able to stock it rather affordably and the flies are good quality. I have just started to take my tying to another level with getting into musky flies (gasp, like I need another reason to tie! :D)

Blaine put on a very good presentation last night at TCO in Byrn Mawr. He's making some incredible articulated flies right now.

wgmiller wrote:
This is where I got my musky box started: http://www.theflystop.com/fly-fishing-flies-discount/musky/musky I was able to stock it rather affordably and the flies are good quality. I have just started to take my tying to another level with getting into musky flies (gasp, like I need another reason to tie! :D)

Thanks for sharing that. I may have buy a few...

Anyone else know of any good sources for toothy critter flies??? And maybe recipes??

I'm at the beginning/buying stage now.......not fully devoted to it yet to start raising chickens and a heard of deer, but that time may eventually come lol.

Look at Brad Bohens Hangtime optic minnow. Blane Chockletts T-bone. Those would be a nice start.

streamerguy,

Check out Vermont Fly Guys on Facebook. I bought flies from them for a couple of years before I got into tying. They have some AWESOME flies and they are some good guys. If you buy from them, I highly recommend a couple articulated "Maelstrom Whistlers" in whichever pattern you like. Those flies flat out catch fish.

Jay

Thanks for the suggestions Jay and Bosshog

First pike of the year. On the bucktail changer.
9F18D64E-D2A1-4369-9525-07918DA46FDC_zpsodyoa9s8.jpg

I had my first follow from a mid 30s" musky on Thursday. Here goes all of my spare time.

LOL Its a great way to get the blood flowing and the knees shaking sometimes though, huh?? Good luck man, hope you get into em soon. Should have my first trip out this weekend. Looks like ice is finally off the lakes near me. Cannot wait!!!

Jay

Made it out for a float on Friday. No toothies landed, however I did catch an incidental.... my largest bass on any tackle at 19.5". Also spoke with two separate individuals about musky. One said "they catch some big ones down there and there" and pointed out a couple likely areas to target. The other individual was jogging by and said he saw a 30's musky floating off a rock ledge and nearby downed tree. I now have a target zone! Hopefully will turn more than bass in the next couple weeks!
Caught on one of TD55's Sho-Lo flies.
Full res pics via links...
incidental catch
incidental catch 2
IMG_6626.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

Love it!

Those big SMBs do love musky flies - amazing how hard they hit 'em.

Shorty Longback will get em everytime lol. That is a tanker of a fish. Glad you like the flies

I found the buford style flies I tied myself were having a hard time getting under the surface. Less trouble with the sho-lo's. I had to keep them moving from a downstream cast and quickly retrieve against the current to get them submerged. I have a sink line, but not sure how heavy it is. Rod tip down a foot under water while retrieving, but that doesn't get the fly "fishing" for nearly 4 feet of retrieve and I still don't think it's down far enough until I'm half way back to the boat.

Thinking about changing materials to something less buoyant to get a faster sink from the fly itself.
Any suggestions? I know WGMiller suggested angel hair for flash and movement.

slay12345 wrote:
Thinking about changing materials to something less buoyant to get a faster sink from the fly itself.
Any suggestions? I know WGMiller suggested angel hair for flash and movement.

Try using epoxy/uv resin to build up a head over some adhesive eyes...or, if you wanna keep the larger head, stick with something like craft fur or laser dub. That or tying the flies with a little less bucktail in general will also cut down on the buoyancy.

The catch...in my experience, each of these has resulted in a slight change in the fly's action. Find one you like.

Back