Toothy Critter Success Thread, Part II - 2015

I've tried a lot of lines. The sa express lines are great in late spring to late summer. The running lines hat cold weather and are a problem coiling and knoting.

My honest opinion go with airflow 40 plus sniper line. They have a 26 ft head and the best running line made on a integrated line. They come in floating through type 7.

My other is sinking lines by company called Maxxon (http://www.maxxonoutfitters.com/prime-premium.html). I fished 2 of the 400 grn type 7 Prime Premium sinking lines for over a year now. There a great all around musky line. Bill Shears "We tye it flyshop" in upper Wisconsin carries them. There around 49 dollars.

Thanks guys, I think I may go with the airflow based on the running line performance. My last line was so stiff and tangled on nearly every cast so I'll prob stay away from SA for my cold weather needs.

I read some other threads that say the airflo line # runs upwards of 2x heavier than the standard line/rod #. Should I underline my 9# rod and go with the 7# or 8# type 7 line or should I match it to my 9# rod?

Paco, how supple is the prime premium in the cold weather? I like the price point for this in rapid sink 350 grain with intermediate running line.

If you the airflo route get the line that's matches your rod don't overthink it, get the nine wt. The maxxon I've fished in freezing temps and never had a problem freezing and coiling. The floating is a little tempramental. But there's steal for the price.

Back