tippet and leader

Chetty82

Chetty82

When going from your fly line to ur tapered leader and then to ur tippet is there a max length to use ur tapered leader like all 6 ft of it ir half or what i have never known for sure so i used all my tapered leader and about 2 ft of tippet

For nymphing, I like a 7.5' or 9' 5x leader with anywhere from 10'' to 2' of tippet, depending on conditions. For dries, I start with a 9' 5x leader and build it out to an 11' 6x leader. I make all of my leader modifications with SA tippet material.

For dries (if I use a tapered leader) I use a 7.5' 3x and add about 24" each 4x and 5x. Here you can just replace the 5x and eventually the 4x and 5x without having to buy a new tapered leader.

For nymphing I like a shorter leader, and usually build my own, or chop down a 7.5' tapered.

If you are a beginning caster, I would keep the overall leader length under or around 8-9 feet. The tapered leaders end in a tippet diameter that is marked on the package. If you plan to use 5X tippet mostly, you can get a 7.5 4X leader, cut back a foot or so and add 24'-30" of 5X tippet and you'd end up with a leader in the range I'm suggesting.

Ok that answers my question about that I just didnt think that you would use that whole leader and then tippet on top of that as well i originally thought that was overkill or just a little to much line

Without going into too many numbers here is my formula for an economical presentation and what I tell beginners so they don't get discouraged or over consumed with equipment purchases. I use fluorocarbon 9 foot leaders with two sections of fluorocarbon tippet, each 12-36 inches long and the first piece of tippet is one diameter less than the leader and the second piece is one diameter less than the first. Two sections of tippet below the leader allow multiple reties without eating into the leader. Buy three spools of tippet (4,5,6) and keep one each 3x and 4x leader on hand. Your 3x by itself can handle a large mouth bass or your 4x leader with 24 inches of 5x and 36 inches of 6x will give you 14 feet of leader for the most timid trout. The flexibility, lo-visibility, and durability of these 5 items will take you through 4 seasons of fly fishing in PA. Yes, you could buy more and you could use more and this formula leaves out the size 22 and smaller hook. Take the money you save and go fishing a few more times! If you want a lot of details, seek out the Orvis book on leaders, tippets, and Knots by Tom Rosenbauer. It has formulas and tables galore.

I usually fish out of a Fish Pond bag and go light. Lately I have been adding stuff and am mow a little squeased for room and am always digging for my tiippet material. So how do you all carry your tippets?

I’m concur with Mkern.

I use a standard 7.5 foot 3x leader and then add a 2 foot piece of 4x or 5x using a surgeon’s knot for streamer/nymph fishing.

If using larger dries I make the 4x/5x section about 3.5 feet long.

For smaller dries and midges, I cut back the 4x/5x section to about 1 foot and tie on about 3.5 feet of 6x/7x tippet.

If I need to go with an 8x tippet I’ll add a 1.5 foot or so 6x transition piece to the 4x/5x piece and tie on the 3.5 foot section of 8x tippet to this.

You can build a leader to about 12/13 feet long and still get good turnover using this method.

If I need a leader longer than 12 feet, I start with a 9 foot or maybe even a 12 foot leader tapered to 2x and using the same approach build it out from there.

For nymphing I use tippet material (believe size .20 or .21) about 6-7 feet in length then add my 5, 6, or 7X about 2 feet in length. Its limper and seams to have less drag than the stiffer leaders. Also much cheaper than tapered leader.
For dries I use 7.5 or 9 foot tapered leader, then add 2-3 feet of tippet one size smaller.

I use a tippet post to hold my tippet - note I do not leave it in the sun light only when fishing.

my leader is a year old and my tippet i cannot find is it ok to tie just regular trilene on as the leader and tippet?

chetty, I tie my own leaders and use regular spinning tackle line for all the sections except when I get to 4X-5X. Tippet material seems to be more supple for the strength in the lighter sizes. Every line has its own characteristics and some is limp while others are stiff. It takes some experimentation to find ones that fit your needs.

Do you all use nail knots for the line to the leader
or what cause i find the nail knot the hardest one of all.

I use a nail knot. I only make about 2 per season and in the comfort of my own home. The butt end of my leader rarely gets changed, I just add various leaders using the same butt section using a blood knot.

I nail knotted a length of 10# mono to the fly line, then put a perfection loop on that. The total lenght of the mono to the end of the loop is about 2". Used a hot glue gun stick, and a lighter, to drop some of the glue onto the knots then used my fingers to smooth it around so it passes the guides better.

Every leader gets a perfection loop in both ends, and I loop to loop everything from here out. Tippet sections get a surgeon's loop because I can bang it out with my eyes close.

Post script: The nail knot is actually much easier to tie if you have a Tie Fast or whatever its called tool.

(k)Not that I remember how to use it without the instructions, though.

Ok I got a knot in my tapered leader and now the dang thing is all curled up do you guys junk it or what do you do with it to get it straightened back out.

I put on a new one...

http://www.discountfishinginc.com/order/ProductStore.asp?ProductSystemId=3501&CategorySystemId=192&ParentCategorySystemId=113

Buy several and keep them handy.

Chetty82 wrote:
Ok I got a knot in my tapered leader and now the dang thing is all curled up do you guys junk it or what do you do with it to get it straightened back out.

Cut it off at the knot, and taper it down from there. You don't need to be a genius. Match up the diameter with tippet and graduate it down to the size you need. Spend your time fishing, less time worrying about perfection. Fish! :)

Well the bad part is that the knot is basically like 5 inches from my fly line so it would probably be better if I just bought new leader.

ok..newby here...so even with a store bought leader, do you still add on more tippet?..

Back