Chop & Drop program in PA streams

"This" wasn't done on Clark's.

I know with this crowd of Large Woody Debris (LWD) fans I’m fixing to be Fozzie Bear standing on stage with everyone else at the ready with tomatoes, but oh well…

I know there’s science behind it, but from a practical perspective I haven’t noticed much actual benefit in terms of making fish holding habitat. My experience is mainly with the work in the Kettle watershed, and referenced in the article. Maybe the stream(s) need more time to carve out some habitat. I dunno. But I’m meh on this. At first I thought it was a good idea, but I’m struggling to notice the benefits. Aside from perhaps decreasing angling pressure because these sections become a royal PITA to navigate.

I know large LWD is a good thing, but I kind of laughed at the part in the article that said forested streams don’t make a lot of LWD on their own. Where do they think the trees along the stream in the forest fall?

I almost always hate "large woody debris."
You may want to see a doctor. (JK)
Fallen trees have a way of disappearing and reappearing somewhere else between fall and spring... At least in the little cricks I like to fish in.

Back