They grow up so fast!

We hand out the metal stringers in a secret ceremony, where your blindfolded, O nevermind...... :)

I'll tell ya what, I met some great people at the store and enjoyed chatting with the people that stopped by.

There were many times people asked me about fly fishing in general and I pushed them to this site, because of the great experiences I have had here, other then Gfen J/k.

It was nice being able to tell people about all the conservation work that we were doing and met some very interested future members. Glad I did this, because I did meet a nice gentleman that owns an engineering firm and offered free engineering help with any of our conservation projects.

Hope to see more new people out on the river this year and hope the guides have a great year as well!

More fishermen on the river, the better this river will become because of it.

Phlsphyguy wrote:
What? No metal stringer in your display? If you had offered cookies, I might have stopped by.

Was wondering who'd cross that threshold first.

Also, cookies. Dude, that would've been a Good Idea.

gfen wrote:
Phlsphyguy wrote:
What? No metal stringer in your display? If you had offered cookies, I might have stopped by.

Was wondering who'd cross that threshold first.

Also, cookies. Dude, that would've been a Good Idea.

If there's a threshold to cross or a riot to incite, I'll be there.

So, I'm curious.. who approached who about this? How'd you get to be the Face of the LRSA (versus Greg, who I know is in with George over there)?

Were other local representives (specifically, any of our local TU chapters) present there, or the other days?

(I'm not picking, I'm just curious to know if anyone else showed this much forethought, and/or if HA put the bug in your ear)

Good way to encourage some good will through, and to be honest, I could think of worse places to be on a warm day that looking through the front windows of the Promenade.

(double post, please delete)

Nosey, aren'tcha?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to.........well, you know. If it helps...

Attachments

• Greg & Shane.jpg
    Greg & Shane.jpg
    859.2 KB · Views: 4
gfen wrote:

So, I'm curious.. who approached who about this? How'd you get to be the Face of the LRSA (versus Greg, who I know is in with George over there)?

Were other local representives (specifically, any of our local TU chapters) present there, or the other days?

(I'm not picking, I'm just curious to know if anyone else showed this much forethought, and/or if HA put the bug in your ear)

Good way to encourage some good will through, and to be honest, I could think of worse places to be on a warm day that looking through the front windows of the Promenade.

L.L. Bean approached the LRSA about this. I dunno why exactly, other then maybe Steve Johnson was recommended by the Wildlands conservancy or maybe because they know Greg a little. Really am not sure.

I was asked by our president if I could show up Saturday and Sunday, Saturday was no good because of being with Heck, but I offered my time Sunday. I consider myself a pretty good people person and I think HA would agree I am very convincing and passionate when I talk to people about the LRSA. I am the only younger generation person that has showed an interest in the cause and a good face for an organization (go ahead and joke), but a young face is good for an organization.

The Nature Center in the gap will be holding a free fly fishing day and HA and the Lrsa was recommended by the Bean to run this, such as the Bean was asked to but could not. Be on the look out for that as well newbies. Believe the Bean will provide all the equipment and rods for the event to teach.

Fair enough, it wasn't a match up I'd have expected, but why not.. I guess a big part of it is you can try to tie in kayaking as well as fishing.

If you guys were all there was, it was a big win for y'all. Probably helped the Beaners to clean out their overstock of stringers, too. ;)

gfen wrote:

Fair enough, it wasn't a match up I'd have expected, but why not.. I guess a big part of it is you can try to tie in kayaking as well as fishing.

If you guys were all there was, it was a big win for y'all. Probably helped the Beaners to clean out their overstock of stringers, too. ;)

No tie in's at all. You have this skewed view of our organization that comes from the fact that we stock and we promote this heavily because of the membership money it brings in.

If it were not for the LRSA, there would be very little trout fishing on the Lehigh. The fact is, we do A LOT of conservation and good for the river outside of stocking. The table you see me sitting behind was filled with pictures of our AMD work, proposals for environmental work, Stream study stuff. I was actually really surprised about all of the environmental stuff Matt (president) thought of sending along with us for people to look at. Every chance I got I was shoving AMD pictures and explaining our huge grant we received about Palmerton and our Alaskan steep passage proposal, our water quality probes in people's faces. Not to mention, talking about the LCFA and the work they are doing and we are supporting in trying to get (banging our heads against a brick wall) FEW and the Fish commission in managing flow. Heck, you know how Alpa was about the LRSA, UNTIL he showed up at our meeting and was pleasantly surprised in the work we actually do. He informed me he will be showing up at our next meeting as well.

Sure it's fun to poke fun at me and the organization I believe heavily in, but really your really just hurting the river by giving us a black eye. When in reality, we could be receiving a larger membership base if these hilljack rumors dissapeared. Of course we have members that don't practice catch and release and maybe from the coal region, and do not talk properly, carry metal stringer, but most are not like that.

I guess I am partially to blame, because I joke about it, but a highly smart and a fantastic wood worker on this board said to me " you embrace it, the LOL's start to dissapear"--Paraphrased or something like that lol

(tl;dr)

Meh don't care, most people will read it.

LRSABecker wrote:
gfen wrote:

No tie in's at all. You have this skewed view of our organization that comes from the fact that we stock and we promote this heavily because of the membership money it brings in.

If it were not for the LRSA, there would be very little trout fishing on the Lehigh. The fact is, we do A LOT of conservation and good for the river outside of stocking. The table you see me sitting behind was filled with pictures of our AMD work, proposals for environmental work, Stream study stuff. I was actually really surprised about all of the environmental stuff Matt (president) thought of sending along with us for people to look at. Every chance I got I was shoving AMD pictures and explaining our huge grant we received about Palmerton and our Alaskan steep passage proposal, our water quality probes in people's faces. Not to mention, talking about the LCFA and the work they are doing and we are supporting in trying to get (banging our heads against a brick wall) FEW and the Fish commission in managing flow. Heck, you know how Alpa was about the LRSA, UNTIL he showed up at our meeting and was pleasantly surprised in the work we actually do. He informed me he will be showing up at our next meeting as well.

Sure it's fun to poke fun at me and the organization I believe heavily in, but really your really just hurting the river by giving us a black eye. When in reality, we could be receiving a larger membership base if these hilljack rumors dissapeared. Of course we have members that don't practice catch and release and maybe from the coal region, and do not talk properly, carry metal stringer, but most are not like that.

I guess I am partially to blame, because I joke about it, but a highly smart and a fantastic wood worker on this board said to me " you embrace it, the LOL's start to dissapear"--Paraphrased or something like that lol

How, where and why did these hijacking *rumors* start? I know they have been around for years. I first heard of them from a well known fly shop in the Valley a long time ago and from a fellow angler who was confronted by a person representing the LRSA.

Phlsphyguy wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:
gfen wrote:

How, where and why did these hijacking *rumors* start? I know they have been around for years. I first heard of them from a well known fly shop in the Valley a long time ago and from a fellow angler who was confronted by a person representing the LRSA.

Heck If I know, where the rumors came from. You say you heard about this a long time ago. Well you might be right, there might have been members of the club ( Not people actually representing the board of the club) that felt the need to say something. Some people feel that our club is really the only club (until the past couple years and the LCFA) that has done anything for the river and we are the ones that donate our time and money to make the Lehigh what it is. Why should other fishermen just come in and reap the benefits of what the members have made it. I don't feel that is right and I don't feel as any of our board members would ever agree with that, but there is a small majority of old timers that probably do feel this way.

What I do know is that when I am on the river fishing, and I talk to people about the LRSA, I do not pressure them to become members nor do I chase them down and whip them with my metal stringer. What I do, is tell them about the club and everything that is going on. If they choose to become a member, then fantastic, if not at least I was able to enlighten them a little bit on the Lehigh and what it has gone through.

The question I am sure all people that donate there time to some kind of conservation organization (TU, LJRA, LCFA, LRSA, DRSA) think when they have people be criticle of there organization or complain about something is....What have you done lately? We all know the turnouts for river clean-ups and volunteering are always a hassle to try to get people to show up, And it is easy to criticize us, but what have YOU done to make it any better?

Back