The Run???

I fished the YB spl. regs section this afternoon. Parked in the lot at the run as usual. The water in the run is as low as I have seen it in 15 years of fishing over there. There are few fish in there compared to other years. I rarely fish it, but today I fished one of the riffles down from the new walking bridge. Caught a colored up rainbow out of the head of the riffle where the logs are in a V shape. I saw 2 or 3 trout as I walked down to fish the steam. The run has gone downhill ever since they cut or killed the knotweed that grew along the run. I'm not saying that is why the fish are not there, just sayin. BTW I did not see one heron today. I fished all the way down past Allenberry. Caught a few, saw nobody else and the weather was perfect. BTW below the dam looks weird with no brush along the creek where the tennis courts used to be.

Fished the run from 82 through present. Haven't been there more than 3 times in the past 10 years and it's been with the nephews. I'll agree that the run is a fraction of what it used to be. When I was 17-ish, netted a 27" fish for a guy. Was deeper and more filled with fish in the days gone by. The hatches used to be strong (Caddis, sulphurs and white flies)..... couldn't tell you what it's like now though. I don't waste the gas to fish over there any longer.

I've long been a fan of The Run and have fished it for over thirty years. I love it!

To be sure, the last few years have been challenging for this little section of creek and some of those years The Run just didn't seem to hold fish. Nobody knows why. I strongly suspect that the bad years at The Run are somehow connected to fluctuating water levels on Children's lake. These fluctuating levels are a result of weed kill draw-downs and, recently, dam repairs.

I do think the wing dams CVTU intalled a couple years ago in The Run have been helpful in that they have increased depth and cover, which were much needed improvements.

Whatever the case, this year was a pretty good year for The Run IMO. Good numbers of stocked fish were present all year until just recently. I was there last week and there are still plenty of fish, but the numbers are obviously lower than last month and the dam repairs have reduced the flow.

Another bright point, as others have mentioned further up this thread, is the great increase of wild fish. This is true across much of the Yellow Breeches, to be sure, but I see more wild fish in The Run every year. They tend to be quite small, but their presence is good news and hopefully is a harbinger of a bright future.

Knock The Run if you want - the place can be a circus and the poaching problem is genuine. . . but I'll keep coming back. It's a great place for a quick FFing fix when I'm in the area.

Good points Dave. The run provides an option when the crick isn't fishable or you only have limited time to wet a line. And as stated above, us old guys aren't getting any younger. I forgot to mention, there is a "posted" sign at the lower end of the path below the damn on the opposite side from Allenberry. Only saw it when I got out of the water to walk back up to the parking lot.

FWIW - About two years ago I saw a less than scrupulous pair of anglers by the outflow catching way more fish than I suspected was normal.

I called the PFBC from my cell phone explaining I wasn't positive the guys were snagging, but in less than 10 minutes a WCO showed up.

Bottom line, don't knock the PFBC for a lack of patrols there, knock them if you call and they don't respond.

In my case, they couldn't have handled the situation any better.

Yellow Breeches is a symptom of the lack of respect by Pennsylvania citizens and the related Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

Recent pictures of friend hooking egg jar in Run on midge pupae last week:

Enjoy:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108682864/IMG_0670.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108682864/IMG_0668.JPG

Did your buddy sight fish to the jar of eggs or use an indicator?

That jar of eggs was probably dropped in the lake on the other side of the road. Most likely washed down through the outlet tube. BTW I think spinners are the preferred "bait" in the run to pull the trout out.

Biggie wrote:
That jar of eggs was probably dropped in the lake on the other side of the road. Most likely washed down through the outlet tube. BTW I think spinners are the preferred "bait" in the run to pull the trout out.

Agree. ^

There's always some kids fishin around The Run with spin gear. They're usually using jigs or spinners or something similar, which is perfectly fine. Although poaching is indeed a problem there, I think sometimes too many FFers see a kid with a spin rod and they assume they're bait fishing, which is an unfair judgement.

For what it's worth on enforcement; I was there not too long ago and talked to two PFBC officers in the parking lot. (No, I was not the subject of their interest.)

The biggest poachers at the run are herons.

If you're concerned about the Run, you'll probably find this article interesting:

"Commission: Work at Children's Lake to last at least four years."
http://cumberlink.com/news/local/communities/boiling_springs/article_2d70fa82-75d6-5c32-8c3b-15437dd6014c.html

Projected schedule to repair the wall at Children's Lake: 4 years!

The lake is owned and manged by Fish & Boat, which in turn directly affects the conditions of the Run, so if you're not happy about this like many of us, I'd suggest you make your voice heard. Four years is an awfully long time and as was mentioned previously in this thread, instead of shunting off the lake outflow to the outlet by the swimming pool they could possibly be releasing more water into the Run and less thru the Pool outlet while also maintaining the lower lake level needed due to the sinkhole issues.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...

tomitrout wrote:
instead of shunting off the lake outflow to the outlet by the swimming pool they could possibly be releasing more water into the Run and less thru the Pool outlet while also maintaining the lower lake level needed due to the sinkhole issues.

This is a good point and worth repeating.

I was walking around the lake recently and was surprised at the amount of water going out the other outflow. If possible, this should be diverted to The Run.

A real shame about having to wait four years for a fix.

The PFBC is really running on empty with funds for many projects.

The share of FBC dollars allocated to stocking trout has increased from a percentage standpoint to try to maintain the number of license buyers.

There are many important and worthwhile projects being put on hold because of lack of funding.

Keep pressure on your local legislators to vote in favor of increased license fees and the PFBC receiving their fair share of sales taxes collected for fishing tackle and equipment.

I caught my first fish on a fly over 20 years ago in the Run. For a new angler, the standard had been set: you only need to cast 10 feet, you can see all the fish, and the car is only a few yards away.

I can't say for sure, but fly fishing in the Run might have been essential for getting me as a young beginner into the sport.

That being said, later in life I lived in Boiling Springs for five years and didn't fish the Run once. These days, the water a few pools below the walking bridge seems far superior to that above. Perhaps there are some changes (I know, that is profanity in fly fishing circles) that have really taken hold, e.g. trout preferring holding in that water now that it has been improved.

The first time I ever saw anyone fish The Run, or as I've been calling it for 40 years, Boiling Springs Creek, was just about 40 years ago. Back then in the early to mid 1970s, it wasn't particularly heavily fished because where there's now a park and a nice historic site there was pretty much just an overgrown thicket. Plus it was mainly home to wild brook trout and they weren't particularly large. Also, this whole fly-only catch and release thing (or in those days one fish a day 20 inches or longer) was just coming into its own.

In my mind, a major turning point came one fall when a particularly large rainbow ran up out of the big creek and set about spawning in the hole above where the footbridge is today. More and more people started fishing the creek and it kind of evolved into its own destination. There's been plenty of mention that the creek is only a few hundred yards long, but the destination section of the Breeches isn't a whole lot longer, especially if you'd prefer to fish the moving water at the Allenberry rather than the still water behind the dam.

Sure, the Breeches runs for miles and is heavily stocked, but there has never been a time when the number of fish per square inch outside the fly water has rivaled what's in it. The reality is, the Breeches and the creek are the closest thing to a sure bet for those of us who may only have a few hours to cast about.

For a couple of winters, my dad and I had a tradition of hitting Boiling Springs to fish between Christmas and New Years to burn up the last of our licenses. It was cold, but the big trout do come up out of the Breeches.

There were also late June evenings when the lightning bugs were flashing and the trout were leaping out of the clear water to snatch them. It's something to see and that's the only place I've ever seen it.

Anyhow, from the early 1970s to the early 1980s, the creek underwent a transformation from being an overgrown afterthought to having most of the vegetation on furnace side ripped out. At one point, the park area and parking lot on the furnace side had asphalt right up to the old bridge abutment. As for the furnace, far from being the historic site it is today, it was mainly used as a secluded spot where people weren't shy about dropping a load of heat.

It was also in that time period that the Children's Lake - Mill Race waterway was adjusted in such a way that the level of the main creek, as well as the creek alongside the pool, was dramatically increased. The Mill Race once flowed from the upper Breeches at a dam site and added to the water in Children's Lake. This allowed for a substantially larger flow in the creek (and the little raceway beside the swimming pool). It could accommodate more anglers and more fish, but it tended to rip the banks away from the little creek. Also when the Breeches got muddy, it tended to turn the ice clear creek muddy too.

Still, it was a great place to fish because there were so many trout in it.

Even so, I got away from fishing it as the responsibilities of parenthood limited my fishing time. For several years I didn't even buy a PA license. Then about 2006, I returned with my son, who was 6, mainly so he could fish Children's lake.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the nice park on the furnace side, how the furnace had been transformed from toilet to tourist attraction and, most especially, how the lake's shore had been reenforced and the creek's flow was back down to something approximating what was flowing into it -- unfortified by the Breeches.

Anyhow, I've been back many times and I enjoy fishing Boiling Springs Creek as much now as I did when I was in my early teens learning the sport.

As for the poachers, I'll offer that, while a few are jackass adults looking for free meat, most are kids who like fishing as much as we do. I generally let them know there are special regulations that apply and give them a few flies. These days, spinning tackle is allowed, so once they've seen me catch a fish on a fly even thought they can't on Power Bait, they're much more interested in trying a spin-fished fly.

Who knows, a few of them may grow up to be like us.

Possibly I do this because I remember back when I was of that age fishing legally with flies, PA had a Deputy Warden program under which citizen anglers were empowered to write citations and give them to poachers or others who weren't following the fishing laws.

As a kid lucky enough to have a dad who taught him how to catch a fish on a fly, I was often viewed with suspicion by the Deputy Wardens. Hardly a trip went by that I wasn't asked to show my fly to prove it wasn't bait of some kind.

It really was rather humiliating, and I'm glad to see the old Deputy Warden program has been discontinued. In my mind, it's better to try to convert the bait anglers to the ways of fly fishing than it is to try to chase them off.

And as long as there are trout in the run, and the open water is fished out, poachers will find there way to where the fish are.

Anyhow, that's my reflection on the limestoner at Boiling Springs. It's no destination stream, but after a morning of fishing over the wild fish in the Letort or Big Spring and being happy to just get a look or maybe even a tap, being able to catch a few at Boiling Springs is a welcome change of pace.

I guess the main point of my rambling is to say don't be hating on old Boiling Springs Creek. It's a place where a kid can learn, a seasoned angler can enjoy a few hours and expect to have a good shot at catching a few fish and, as I'm finding out these days, a place where an aging man can enjoy an easy fishing trip.

It ain't perfect, but then again, neither was Fisherman's Paradise. Come to think of it, that was pretty much just a bigger version of the run at Boiling Springs.

I enjoyed your story Jim, thanks for sharing.

Here's some Run motivation...

It's acrylic on canvas and titled, Winter Stillness, The Run and depicts a light snowfall. The stone furnace stack in the background, built in 1762, is the oldest standing furnace stack in PA west of the Susquehanna river. The little foot bridge is actually a part of the Appalachian trail.

Attachments

• SAM_0038 - Copy.JPG
    SAM_0038 - Copy.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 1
Good stuff, Dave!

That spot in the foreground is where I hooked and landed the 12" brown trout on a prince nymph that would be the first of many fish on the fly.

Nice painting......I have a picture ( print) of the dam at Allenberry , way back when there was a small stone house right above the dam....Have it hanging in my TV room with another picture of the old railroad trestle at Penns Creek ( at tunnel entrance at Poe Valley) and another picture of the rock dam formation about 3/4 mile downstream of Raynolds Pass fishing access at the bridge..... The Raynolds Pass print holds great sentimental value to me because I also have a snapshot ( Polaroid ) of me catching a 20" rainbow 30 some years ago while on my yearly July pilgrimage with my brother ,standing right in below the rock formation which is in the print!!!!!...... We still go to this day......Good times gone by....:):):)

Back