The price of flies

That isn't very fair. Would you say the same about people that don't build their own rods or tie their own leaders?
My comment was unfair. But I do build rods and have tied my own leaders. Let me rephrase that comment. People who don't tie are missing out on a lot of fun and when they become proficient they will save money.

I think the journey to becoming a complete fly fisher includes learning to tie at least some patterns. It really is not that difficult especially today with the online resources. I understand the time factor and the initial cost but it is a great hobby especially during the winter.
I taught myself with books and 10 years later I took a small group class the Evening Hatch Fly Shop which really improved my tying technique.
Even less than perfect looking flies such as Hares Ear, Buggers, walts, simple CDC Compariduns are effective.

Yo, Josh! If only 10 to 15% of fly fishermen tie their own flies, which is a stat I believe I have seen, then the prevailing opinion here is deeply in the minority. Not that I am surprised ;)

I tied and did not care for it nearly as much as I did actual fishing time. Dudes tell me to tie in the winter, and I tell them to fish in the winter, you mitches!

I am fortunate enough to have a buddy who has more time to tie than fish, so I don't buy many flies.

Were that to change, and it will over time, I will go back to tying again because I agree that it makes total sense to tie your own simple patterns. Also agree that the prevailing trend as you become more experienced is to simplify, so the tying gets easier not harder.

This may sound weird, but here is my stance on it. Tying is a means for me to fish. I like to have as many skills as possible in life regarding all things. Tying is one more that I have in my tool kit.

I don't always love tying, but when I'm very excited about fishing, I get very excited about tying. I envision my trips, imagine me on the stream, and picture the flies I need while out there. This lights the fire to tie, to fill my boxes, to crush fish while out in the water. It's like a sick circle of fishing addiction. 😳

I thought I heard recently from some local business folks in Carlisle that the same people that own One13 Social and Pitt Street Station are the ones planning to open the restaurant...
I live in BS and hear the same story. However that was over a year ago and the old mill building looks worse then it did when they first removed the burnt debris and put a rubber tarp down to cover the top story as a temporary roof. Perhaps it will be true but I have not seen or heard any proof recently.

As to dries, FWIW, Catskill ties from the online outfits seem to hold up better than the parachute style flies. On the parachutes the hackle seems to unravel pretty easily.

+1

I live in BS and hear the same story. However that was over a year ago and the old mill building looks worse then it did when they first removed the burnt debris and put a rubber tarp down to cover the top story as a temporary roof. Perhaps it will be true but I have not seen or heard any proof recently.

I have no horse's mouth updates, but a business owner/friend in Carlisle told me in May that it was happening. However with the expansion of One13 Social & opening of Pitt Street Station they were on the back foot. I also seem to recall the mention of the usual delays experienced with opening a new restaurant from scratch.

I hope it happens because it would be nice to have another dinner option in the area when I'm in town, especially since the Tavern is closed, probably for good and I can't convince myself to go to the Allenberry...

Man you guys are crushing me in here, lol. I have been fly fishing since the early 2000s and i have never tied a fly. I would say my biggest obstacle is time. I'm more invested in fly fishing than ever in terms of interest at this point and i have started to have some thoughts of learning to tie for various reasons. I have big hands and get frustrated trying to do little things also. It always seemed a bit intimidating to me. I'm a hands on learner so i would have to take a class to start out and be successful i think
Lol. Start with a wolly bugger. Super easy to tie plus they catch everything

Those buggers are still a heckuva lot harder than a single color bucktail on a hook. You'd be surprised how many fish that simple fly will catch..

Man you guys are crushing me in here, lol. I have been fly fishing since the early 2000s and i have never tied a fly. I would say my biggest obstacle is time. I'm more invested in fly fishing than ever in terms of interest at this point and i have started to have some thoughts of learning to tie for various reasons. I have big hands and get frustrated trying to do little things also. It always seemed a bit intimidating to me. I'm a hands on learner so i would have to take a class to start out and be successful i think
I’ll teach you but please stop claiming you have big hands. :ROFLMAO:

The beauty of fly tying is you can create EXACTLY the fly you want in your preferred sizes & colors. In many cases, it will be a fly you CAN'T find for $4 in a fly shop. You also have the advantage of creating a fly based on a natural you capture and bring back to the tying bench, something I've done MANY times.

In my evolution as fly fisherman I first bought what someone else thought would catch fish. When I started fly tying, I copied the flies I bought. Later I modified the colors of those flies to match the local bugs which even though I don't think it was necessary, it was more fun.

Finally, I started making my own creations based on my own ideas or things I learned from others and got to the point where I am today where 90% of the files I fish you will NEVER find in a fly shop.

That doesn't mean those other flies won't work, but why buy & try when I know I have patterns I can create at home that work for me just as well or better.

BTW - I have big wide hands and fat fingers and I regularly tie flies as small as the TMC 32's. I can also whip finish by hand... o_O

Errr, whip finish the head of a fly by hand with no problem but I'd rather use a whip finisher...

The only disadvantage to having big hands/fat fingers when fly tying is I jab myself with hook points more than the daintily fingered folks.

If there is an advantage, my wife hasn't yet commented on any correlations... ;)

You know what they say about guys with HUGE hands...

I think the journey to becoming a complete fly fisher includes learning to tie at least some patterns. It really is not that difficult especially today with the online resources. I understand the time factor and the initial cost but it is a great hobby especially during the winter.
I taught myself with books and 10 years later I took a small group class the Evening Hatch Fly Shop which really improved my tying technique.
Even less than perfect looking flies such as Hares Ear, Buggers, walts, simple CDC Compariduns are effective.
It appears that if the extremely simple Euro nymphs catch fish then most anything that comes out of a vise will get eaten. Q°
Since trout seem to like the simplest Euro nymphs then it is very likely that whatever comes out of even a beginners vise will probably catch trout. The Perdigon is as simple as can be. A few wisps of whatever for a tail, a thread body, a tungsten bead, a hot spot, and lacquer over it all.

Attachments

• 20240621_171954.jpg
    20240621_171954.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 20
The OP said he does tie but got caught with nothing but dries. He could have fished those. People can charge what they want for flies. Pay it, don't pay it. I tie. I'm usually a cheapskate. But I'll buy a few overpriced flies occasionally. People complain about the lack of fly shops these days. Wonder why.

Perdigon = Ice Fishing Jig.

Last edited:
The OP said he does tie but got caught with nothing but dries. He could have fished those. People can charge what they want ptesdfor flies. Pay it, don't pay it. I tie. I'm usually a cheapskate. But I'll buy a few overpriced flies occasionally. People complain about the lack of fly shops these days. Wonder why.
I paid the $8.37. Based on some of the comments I probably should of refrained from uploading the thread. Because I do tie, and haven't bought a fly in over 10 years, I was just very surprised at the price for two nymphs.

Because I am able to tie I filled that box above mostly with Euro flies. I did it for fun. I have only fished one of them. It isn't a true Euro fly but it does have a black nickel tungsten bead. The body if peacock Ice dub with two turns of beige CDC hackle. No fish were rising so I swung it for a few minutes and caught my best brown of the season. A heavy 22" male brown.

I paid the $8.37. Based on some of the comments I probably should of refrained from uploading the thread. Because I do tie, and haven't bought a fly in over 10 years, I was just very surprised at the price for two nymphs.
Yeah, I was cool with it. I was puzzled by all the replies telling you to learn to tie flies.:LOL:

I personally hate to tie flies and I only do it because I’m frugal. It doesn’t add to my FF experience and it doesn't make me feel better when I catch a trout on my own hand tied fly. I do enjoy tying flies for friends to use though.

I remember when I started Fly Fishing, they wanted like $1.50 for a pheasant tail nymph and then I saw how easy they were to tie. I shoot pheasants every year and my FIL used to tie so it was a no brainer. Quick lesson from him and I learned the basics. I am not advanced and only tie simple streamers, old school nymphs, and mostly Catskill style dries bc parachute ones **** me off.

Back