Local Stream Conditions

J

JeffP

Have any of you been taking any walks along your local streams? I can't believe no one has posted about the current heat and drought conditions. I know, sometimes its tough to even look. I took a walk along lower Middle Creek on a decently cool day about a week ago and saw a surprising number of trout. Here in Northern Lancaster County, we have had a number of little rains (1/4 to 1/2) and one pretty good gully washer. I may run out and get a late day temp but it is not going to be pretty.

I'm pretty much taking a break from trout fishing for now - better to go swimming in heat like this IMO

I did fish the Yough river last week.
Had rising fish all afternoon and evening in 60 degree water
Other than that, not much trout fishing on this side of the state now

Spent last week in Greenbrier State Forest. There was a small stream running right next to the cabin I rented, and it was all but dried out. Not sure if it holds trout or not, I know they stock the stream it flows into. Everything here is very dry and it's very hot.

That said, the smallmouth fishing on the Greenbrier River is on FIRE. I had a blast. Been a couple years since I targeted smallies intentionally, and I just loved it.

We need all day steady soaking rains to help the issue. Thunderstorms are better than nothing, but most of the water from them runs off too quickly to be much help.

Spent last week in Greenbrier State Forest. There was a small stream running right next to the cabin I rented, and it was all but dried out. Not sure if it holds trout or not, I know they stock the stream it flows into. Everything here is very dry and it's very hot.

That said, the smallmouth fishing on the Greenbrier River is on FIRE. I had a blast. Been a couple years since I targeted smallies intentionally, and I just loved it.
The Greenbrier was great for smallies back when I lived there in the 1990s though never got into anything much bigger than 12 inches. But plenty of action.
Used to visit Greenbrier SF a bunch. Pool was always very cold!
Try the fly fishing section of Second Creek when you are over that way. Beautiful secluded valley and spring fed. No wild trout but used to have plenty of holdover browns. Good place to catch a wv trout grand slam.

yeah it was way too dry and hot to fish Second creek, but hopefully I'll go back in the Fall or Spring. I really enjoyed the forest, and the cabin was really really nice.

Well, I was on a trout stream today. I hooked maybe 10 small trout, but I didn't land any. I have one heck of a time keeping small trout pinned on barbless hooks in tight quarters. Anyways, there is a lot of cold water throughout PA right now, but conditions are low and clear.

My next trip will be on the Juniata for some smallies probably tomorrow morning. It's about time I switch gears and start bassin'

I went to check on a few of my favorites yesterday, just to check temps and flow. All 4 wild streams were at 67-69 degrees, but the flows were extremely low. Dangerously low.
Jefferson/ Indiana Co.

Back