The “NEW” run

Biggie

Biggie

Anybody recognize the run at Boiling Springs?

Attachments

• IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_1108.jpeg
    IMG_1108.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_1107.jpeg
    IMG_1107.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1106.jpeg
    IMG_1106.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 416
It will revert. It may take 20 years or so.

Is that bottom release? Not that it would matter really at that height

Is the flow sufficient for fishing, or is the water level drop of the last few years permanent?

If they got rid of the "kiddie pool" by the outflow that attracted unsportsmanlike behavior then I consider it an improvement...

Has this had an affect on the downstream habitat improvement portions?
I'm just curious, I haven't been there in years and don't plan on being there ever again.
No change in the cold water entering the Breeches. But if you haven't fished the regs area since the changes to the Breeches, you would not know the stretch.

If they got rid of the "kiddie pool" by the outflow that attracted unsportsmanlike behavior then I consider it an improvement...
The pipes and the kiddie pool are gone. I'm sure there will still be a pile of trout in there and the birds will keep the manicured area in check as well.

Dear Bamboozle,

By Kiddie Pool do you mean the pool directly under the bridge from the outlet, or the one 25 yards further downstream the size of two regulation sized pool tables just up from the footbridge? That lower one looked like Opening Day every single day.

The Run always reminded me of the Hatchery Pool on the Little Lehigh back in the 1980's when the creek flowed bank full, only worse.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Perhaps they can add some large, woody debris.
Dear Swattie,

I'll help cut and truck it over from Clarks!

Regards,

Dear Bamboozle,

By Kiddie Pool do you mean the pool directly under the bridge from the outlet, or the one 25 yards further downstream the size of two regulation sized pool tables just up from the footbridge? That lower one looked like Opening Day every single day.

The Run always reminded me of the Hatchery Pool on the Little Lehigh back in the 1980's when the creek flowed bank full, only worse.

Regards,

Yup, just downstream of the Bucher Hill Rd Bridge.

I ratted out folks fishing there two times to the local WCO; once for chumming with bread and another time for snagging. Both times I saw the bust... ;)

FWIW - My favorite place to fish the run was about 10 yards below that pool casting tight to the wall from the opposite side. The morons would all be in the "kiddie pool" or the hole just upstream of the wooden footbridge so I would always have that spot to myself....

I imagine it will be reconstructed once the dam project is completed.

Are there any drone-down views available? I can't even tell what I'm looking at. Is the red truck in the parking lot next to the foot bridge and old iron smelter? Where will the 1000 water snakes hide without all those briars along the shore?

Are there any drone-down views available? I can't even tell what I'm looking at. Is the red truck in the parking lot next to the foot bridge and old iron smelter? Where will the 1000 water snakes hide without all those briars along the shore?
You are looking towards the lake. I was sitting on the bench that is located across from the small pav illion. Red truck is in the parking lot closer to the road between the parking lot and the lake.

I imagine it will be reconstructed once the dam project is completed.
I believe what you see is the completed renovation.

Looks wide and shallow with no structure. Not a great formula for holding fish.

FWIW - Having fished the Run many times wearing just Muck Boots about 100 feet below the "kiddie pool" (which is one of the areas pictured), I can tell you from experience it wasn't very deep, even before the renovations.

Tight against the retaining wall upstream to the outflow at the bridge it was a bit deeper, but I could wade right from that spot down to the pavilion and not go over the tops of those boots.

I guess that's why I always chuckled to myself when I saw folks suit up with waders just to fish there... ;)

In regards to holding fish, when I would fish that spot MOST of my fish didn't come from the deeper water against the wall, they came from the faster water literally a few feet in front of me that was about 6" deep or the equally skinny water just below...

Close to 20 years ago they renovated the bank at that location to redirect some storm drain and stabilize the bank after some flooding so it's not the first time they made changes at the top of the Run. The most notable change is all the trees and bushes are gone so hopefully they do some plantings.

I have a non-fishing trip to Carlisle planned for later in the year. I plan to take a look and see for myself how different it really is but it looks to me it only changed in the first 150 feet...

I was sad they actually raised the money to repair the dam holding up those spring outflows and warming them in the sun. A bog would have been nice for amphibians.

Back