The “NEW” run

Looks like they don't believe in trees there.
Dear Oregon_Owill,

I think a certain chain fly shop might decide to have a tree raising festival so that sports will break flies off and have to buy new ones.

I first visited the"Run" 35 years ago. At it's finest, it was the equivalent of the Hatchery Hole on the Little Lehigh at it's worse. Just a ditch to cross in search of the real mecca, the Yellow Breeches.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Oregon_Owill,

I think a certain chain fly shop might decide to have a tree raising festival so that sports will break flies off and have to buy new ones.

I first visited the"Run" 35 years ago. At it's finest, it was the equivalent of the Hatchery Hole on the Little Lehigh at it's worse. Just a ditch to cross in search of the real mecca, the Yellow Breeches.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Yea really, this is the Run we are talking about, hardly a Class A crick or some hallowed fly fishing destination...

The only time I ever fished there was when I had an hour or two to kill and I wanted an excuse to smoke a cigar or if I was in town for business or pleasure in the dead of winter and wanted a short easy fishin' fix.

Does anyone know the extent of reproduction in the run? Did it feed the Breeches or was it simply too short of a stretch to have an impact?

Last edited:
Does anyone know the extent of reproduction in the run? Did it Breeches or was it simply too short of a stretch to have an impact?
I recall seeing signs for "no wading" zones near the point where the run enters the main stem. I never bothered to get close enough to spot any redds.

Don't worry about trees... When the lake is full, a tree will be planted on a raft in the middle of the lake every Christmas.

I’m not sure if there is natural reproduction in the catch and release area. I haven’t fished that in about eleven years now and don’t remember seeing any no wading signs. I do remember one year maybe fifteen years ago when they decided not to stock the section and there was a dearth of fish. They then started stocking it again.

I’m amazed by the number of board members who are experts in these affairs.

Does anyone know the extent of reproduction in the run? Did it feed the Breeches or was it simply too short of a stretch to have an impact?
I fished there for many years (mid 80s- 2009). I never saw any evidence of fish spawning in the Run...not even false spawning. I did catch obvious wild browns in the Run during the Summer from time to time that I'm sure came from the mainstem. Unless there are other major changes planned there, it will continue to be reliant on stocking.

We’re fortunate to have the number of large woody debris experts we do around here.
I could have some fun with punctuation-manipulation in this comment. :) But I won't.

Examining PFBC Wild Trout Reproduction Lists that I have going back 20 years, "The Run" by name or as a named or unnamed tributary to Yellow Breeches Creek is noticeably absent.

Therefore IMHO it is relatively safe to say for the last 20 years it is a trout "stream" by virtue of stocking and stocking alone...

In the summer, water out of the lake stays cool, as the main Breeches heats up. Would some of the trouts in the main come up The Run in search of cool water?

In the summer, water out of the lake stays cool, as the main Breeches heats up. Would some of the trouts in the main come up The Run in search of cool water?
We've seen that happen in the past. The fishing crowd on the Run (and the confluence) increases with the trout crowd when the main gets warmer. However, we've also seen tendency of the trout to refuse everything when everyone is flogging the Run.

For Those not familiar, I have some pictures of the "Run" from September 1995. The first picture is from right at the outflow. The second is the "Kidde pool". Third is looking upstream towards the foot bridge. For those who knew him, the guy in the white shirt on the bridge is Tony Marasco.

Attachments

• Yellow Breeches  95 1.jpg
    Yellow Breeches 95 1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Yellow Breech 95 2.jpg
    Yellow Breech 95 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Yellow Breeches 95 3.jpg
    Yellow Breeches 95 3.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Yellow Breeches 95 4.jpg
    Yellow Breeches 95 4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 123
For some reason, trout have not held in The Run for a few years now! When stocked, they either entered the mainstream or gathered in the lake out flow hole. Fishing there was like fishing at a hatchery!

For some reason, trout have not held in The Run for a few years now! When stocked, they either entered the mainstream or gathered in the lake out flow hole. Fishing there was like fishing at a hatchery!
Joe, if you remember when they remove all the Japaneese knotweed, the next year most trout were gone. I think the herons had a much easier time fishing then. Among other things.

For Those not familiar, I have some pictures of the "Run" from September 1995. The first picture is from right at the outflow. The second is the "Kidde pool". Third is looking upstream towards the foot bridge. For those who knew him, the guy in the white shirt on the bridge is Tony Marasco.
I remember it looking like that. 2009 or 2010, I took the youngest son and his cousin to the kiddie pool and they both caught trout on spinners. (They were both about 9 or 10.) Talking with someone on the creek, I found out that the trout had been dumped out of the stocking truck the previous evening - right into the pool.

That is the worst stretch of the breeches. They can do whatever they want to it. It’s a tourist attraction at this point, with the resort place and all the houses being built right near by.

Back