The Debate Started.....

Survival of the fittest? Natural selection? Hmmmm??????

Been happening for thousands of years. Humans are invasive species by definition.

Utopia doesnt exit folks. Back to reality
Humans are invasive in North America and Europe and Asia too.

Se

Self inflicted economic harm.

I have tons of dandelions in my yard. I don't spend money to spray them. I pull the ones from my garden.

People are stupid.
If you don't spray them they make wonderful salad. Up in North Jersey in the spring the immigrant Italians could be seen picking dandelions from the boulevard islands for salad or wine. Almost as good as arugula.

If you don't spray them they make wonderful salad. Up in North Jersey in the spring the immigrant Italians could be seen picking dandelions from the boulevard islands for salad or wine. Almost as good as arugula.

I've had the wine. It was very good the batch I had and nearly as strong as moonshine.

This thread should be in a book on how to hijack a discussion.

Yo FarmerDave, I don't disagree that monoculture farming isn't great for the environment and it is very taxing on the colonies sent to pollinate. My cousins usually send about 10,000 colonies to the almonds alone and the bees take a toll while there. They all travel to the almonds wearing a candy board on top. But that pollination situation is tough on the bees for many reasons.

I maintain about 30 colonies due to family heritage (started commercial beekeeping in the 30's for us) and I definitely treat for Varroa with formic, oxalic, and amitraz. Varroa sucks.

My family also sells lots of nucs we make each year in Florida. If you've ever gotten a nuc in an OSB box with a screen on the bottom, it came from us. Back when I worked for them I spent A LOT of time cutting the wood for the 6,000 nucs sold each year. Here is a semi of nucs I helped unload this spring.
PXL 20230503 220059166
PXL 20230503 220101115

Humans are invasive in North America and Europe and Asia too.
Guess we can't call them "Native Americans" anymore.

This thread should be in a book on how to hijack a discussion.
For future reference the thread was debating an established fact with mountains of empirical evidence proving not only are they invasive but top 30 out of 5000 worst invasive species globally.

If you started a thread debating if the sky was blue or not a similar derailment would likely occur. Because a debate needs substantial evidence on both sides of the debate.

For future reference the thread was debating an established fact with mountains of empirical evidence proving not only are they invasive but top 30 out of 5000 worst invasive species globally.

If you started a thread debating if the sky was blue or not a similar derailment would likely occur. Because a debate needs substantial evidence on both sides of the debate.
Exhibit A

Yo FarmerDave, I don't disagree that monoculture farming isn't great for the environment and it is very taxing on the colonies sent to pollinate. My cousins usually send about 10,000 colonies to the almonds alone and the bees take a toll while there. They all travel to the almonds wearing a candy board on top. But that pollination situation is tough on the bees for many reasons.

I maintain about 30 colonies due to family heritage (started commercial beekeeping in the 30's for us) and I definitely treat for Varroa with formic, oxalic, and amitraz. Varroa sucks.
Interesting stuff Jifigz. Thanks for sharing that. The most I ever had was 12 hives. Right now I just have one neglected hive. It was very strong, but I haven't checked it for over a month while I am on the mend. It has probably swarmed a few times, but I don't really care. I keep saying I am going to give it up, but the bees won't let me. ;)

I only bought nucs from down south, once or twice, and I do not recall any of them being made from OSB. Maybe the one time, but I had to bring my own box to transfer. As far as the treatments for varroa mites, I tried oxalic, once in the fall. It apparently is considered to be organic. The hive still died. Never tried it again because I haven't had them bad enough to even bother. Migratory bee hives are under a whole lot more stress than stationary hives, so I'd imagine they are more prone to varroa mites and other issues. As they say, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Last edited:
We've been discussing brown trout for quite a long time on this thread.

Invasive Brown Trout. We’ve been discussing invasive Brown Trout for quite a long time on this thread.

It’s 2023. Get with the times, and use the PC nomenclature. You’ve been unfollowed.

Back